Gibson Brands Forums

The ToneRite - Real World Testing and Results

KenRosier

Good answers and info, Blues. If it works for someone, they should give it a try. For me, I don't see myself buying a new guitar and then wanting to change the sound of it. If I didn't like the sound, I shouldn't have bought it to begin with. If the guitar is great, that's how I want it to stay. Again, I don't doubt the possibilities of what vibrations can do to the sound of wooden instruments. I just don't want to hook-up something to a guitar I'm already very satisfied with in the hope that I'll make it better.......... Just my viewpoint. Doesn't make me better than anyone else and doesn't make me right. Just makes me "me." I'll stick with trying different strings and bone nuts etc if I want to try and enhance a guitar. I hope you get the results you're hoping for...........BTW---speaking of vibrations---any possibility that hours and hours (even days and days for some people) of a continuous vibration can have an adverse effect on the guitar? When you're playing a guitar to open it up, the vibration is constantly changing and is not continuous as when attached to a Tone Rite. I wonder if there will be long rang effects we're not yet aware of........Just wondering. Good thread. [thumbup]

Glad to get a reply - I thought I might be talkin' to myself again.

There are nearly as many threads on the TR around as there are on strings and the result is......dunno [mellow] I should have started my own thread instead of latching on this oldie...

Long range effects? There is an adjuster to vary the vibes and the manual says to run it on low for better tone on the new guitar, or full tilt for more volume on the same new guitar.

I, like MP, have a spare guitar here and there and I have to say if I only had ONE nice one, the gadget would not be going on it! But I have some wonderful old guitars and can see how accelerating the break-in process may move a new guitar with the feared Adi top towards the looseness of the vintage, so I am willing to experiment - though I did originally buy the gadget for some budget new guitars after reading on UMGF. Some people will do anything to avoid paying for a TR, including making their own by raiding the fish tank pump and other weird things. I mean,$149. A fish tank pump is really asking for damage to the guitar, isn't it? People! There are also these groups that rent them to each other! What? Just play all day and night instead if you don't want to buy one. But I have a few guitars now and will not get the hours on each that I would if I have just one guitar - NOT complaining - I am really enjoying myself.

So, I have seen and heard it work previously on my guitars, so I am in the SOLD department already and would not dare to put the thing on a beautiful Martin or Gibson if I didn't have some confidence in it.

But I have to say that the original purchase, and this shows I don't have secret shares in the thing - the original order was a@#@#@# err .....muck up and got lost in the paperwork at their office. They then sent me one without the transformer needed for my country's power supply [cursing] , and then another one (the first order?) turned up in the mail with transformer...... :mellow: a friend has it waiting for a transformer......

BluesKing777.

I don't see a problem/danger with having the guitar in a room with music turned up so that it can pick up on the sympathetic vibes. I, too, have found the guitar humming along with some songs. But I do not believe non-musical vibrations can enhance a guitar either tonally or structurally. I can't prove it scientifically - of course. But I am very much in doubt of anything 'Not Musical' working any better than if you put your guitar on top of your drier for 20 or 30 hours.

But, as a purist, I would also not hand my brand new Viper (if I had one) over to a teenage boy for a month to have him break it in for me.

So, I am completely in agreement with points made like those by Phelonius Ponk - it is not possible to prove the 'tome' improves. Tone is too subjective. And the variables almost impossible to control in a scientific way.

That said, it would be interesting to construct a 'blind test' of OWF's theory.

My CEO7 has been buzzing away for 8 hours while I worked. I just played a long extended blues in E all over the neck and I can see that is coming along nicely. The guitar was still in tune, well within itself anyway, so that says something about it being fairly gentle.

Back on it goes for a few more days..... Unless the guitar falls off the Hercules stand, unlikely, what damage can the TR do except loosen a glue joint or 2? More glue!

What a GREAT guitar the CEO7 is to play for fingerpickers! Mahogany B/S and Adi top.

BluesKing777.

OH, and here is 57 old pages of yeahs and nays from the Collings Forum if you want some light reading:

http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6681010672/m/664108661/p/57

[sleep] [sleep] [sleep]

If any psychiatrist who also happens to be a picker is reading this TR discussion, he should immediately start to specialize in exclusively treating Tone Rite owners. His second fortune is thereby guaranteed.

Moose

Psych gave up on this duck years back, fleeing while muttering 'you need to get out more' or something.... "Did I play you this one?" I would say...

CEO7 is now back on the Tonerite after having the night off... not that I don't trust it to catch on fire or anything while I sleep...

BluesKing777.

One thing Tonerite DOES do, is wear out strings prematurely…….even Elixir's…..Some folks claim, (I've not seen evidence in my guitars) that it also speeds up the wear of the bridge plate, as the vibrations cause the ball ends to "gouge" the bridge plate prematurely, in other words, sooner than regular play would do…..just a thought…..I like mine. I find it works better with Rosewood B&S guitars, almost does nothing for all hog guitars…..I use it just before I change my strings….My friend has it on his vintage Roy Smeck ALL THE TIME he is not playing it….with no problems, and he claims it has opened up greatly

My Elixirs still seem ok, but I imagine they would wear out because they have been playing without me for almost 3 days...CEO7 finishes the 72 hours tonight!

I also have the can of the secret ingredient 'Vintage Guitar Fairy Dust' that was given to me by my guitar tech/luthier from his collection of shaved repairs, crushed neck splinters and assorted vintage guitar grindings........ Instructions are to splash a small amount across the guitar while it lays flat then run the Tone Rite for 2 more hours. True! :unsure:

BluesKing777.

I have taken the Martin CEO7 off the Tonerite, played it during my lunch hour and claim a complete success! It just sounds superb!

I admit the naysayers had me thinking for a minute and I see on other forums people begging for information on TR and telling the Nays to go aways!

I think my hat made of foil helped..... [tongue]

My Martin OM28 Marquis is now on the Tonerite and with its heavier build and thicker Adi top (than the lightly built CEO7), it may need a fair while on the buzzer!

BluesKing777.

So it worked beautifully and although the doomies predicted the neck and bridge would fall off and the strings break...well..nothing happened.

Now my new Gibson L-00 is like a vintage L-00 and I can't see any damage........:

Before:

BK-holiday1_zpsf3dff44f.jpg

After:

1937-2_zpsqgfndjyj.jpg

BluesKing777.

OM28 Marquis has been buzzing and buzzing away, and while I am just itching to try it out for a minute, I have a minor cut on my right thumb - right where it plucks the strings! And holds a pick and where a thumbpick goes! And where you hold everything you pick up!

So I have a bandaid on the thumb and I will play for a while but it wont sound normal.....

BluesKing777.

Big news!

The full moon aligned with Uranus and other stars align with everything and I have finished Toneriting the 2012 Martin OM28 Marquis.

Zappo!

Incredible, great before, incredible now. I am really, really punching above my weight with this guitar! Words are not enough. A ridiculous guitar.

Still in DADGAD and still in tune, well with itself anyway, after 72 hours on the Tonerite. Indian Rosewood and Adi perhaps will never make a blues guitar as such, but the DADGAD is unbelievable.

BluesKing777.

Great strategy, Blues. Very, very clever. [thumbup]

Very strange, but not as strange as Fox Mulder and crew supposedly discovering photos of a ToneRite like device from 10,000BC, maybe mildly strange but I found myself suddenly in a .........gulp.........guitar shop with a Gibson J200 sunburst and then a J200 Blonde and then an American Eagle and then 2 Hummingbird TVs and Hummingbird Standard and even a little Taylor new maple model and some others...but next thing I remember walking out with some guitar strings and a Shubb capo in a bag......phew that was close! This other guy ruined the experience really by really banging on every guitar in the room - I took the guitars into a side room to escape him but can still hear him 9 hours later..... After he absolutely smashed all the top shelfers, he took a budget guitar to the counter.

BluesKing777.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a TR after my girlfriend visited stateside. I haven't really started treatment yet as I am trying to figure out the optimal placement to get all strings buzzing, but I am looking forward to experimenting and maybe hear what all the fuzz is about. Any tips on placement, frequency, as well as stand vs case are more than welcome!

Just got a TR after my girlfriend visited stateside. I haven't really started treatment yet as I am trying to figure out the optimal placement to get all strings buzzing, but I am looking forward to experimenting and maybe hear what all the fuzz is about. Any tips on placement, frequency, as well as stand vs case are more than welcome!

Well...I just got one myself. I'm using on a guitar resting in a guitar stand, the Tone Rite placed right above the bridge, kind of sitting on the top of it so the rubber feet contact the guitar top in between the strings. I had a little trouble getting it to stay, so I used an ace bandage wrapped just tight enough so there is even contact. That worked well. The original post in thread, several pages ago, gives other tips in case you haven't looked back.

Enjoy. If John Arnold says (regarding the Tone Rite) "it does something" I'm inclined to believe there is something there as opposed to no effect whatsoever. I read that on another unofficial forum. Shhh...

Well...I just got one myself. I'm using on a guitar resting in a guitar stand, the Tone Rite placed right above the bridge, kind of sitting on the top of it so the rubber feet contact the guitar top in between the strings. I had a little trouble getting it to stay, so I used an ace bandage wrapped just tight enough so there is even contact. That worked well. The original post in thread, several pages ago, gives other tips in case you haven't looked back.

Enjoy. If John Arnold says (regarding the Tone Rite) "it does something" I'm inclined to believe there is something there as opposed to no effect whatsoever. I read that on another unofficial forum. Shhh...

Thanks! So far I'm having troubles making the unit stay put too, also my high e string is not touching the unit when it's close to the bridge, the solution so far has been to stick a piece of eraser between them e and b string. Seems to work. Now I'm looking for that low and high sweet spots mentioned by OP. I am however a bit skeptical towards running the TR on max simply because of the noise it generates. I live in an apartment and plan on continuing doing so, so I might run it louder during day time and low during night.

Also, i just got back from a two week trip so my guitar hasn't been played for a while and after using the unit for only a few hours I can honestly say my j45 seems to have woken up a bit..

The guitar shops should put one on the guitars each night. Imagine what a smorgasbord of amazing guitars they'd have for sale after 72 hours !

That noise on all those guitars ALL the time would make the quiet little guitar shop workers feel like they were near the end of a JFK Airport Runway!

I have run out of guitars that needed Toneriting urgently and have put my J45 Standard on, after drooling over a vintage one and to save me a fortune...... I am going to give it the full 3 days, but I played it for a while yesterday to have a listen, and it has smoothed out the high mids already. I played the J45 to the Boss before starting and explained that I hoped the notes from about the 5th fret to the 12 th on the 3 higher strings would smooth out a bit! After I noticed an initial result, I again played some for her, and she agreed that....her words....'a bit of the jangle has gone'...

So back on the buzzzzzzzz for a couple more days and it will sound better than the vintage number I spied! If that don't work, I may torrefy it a bit by the BBQ....

I am using the original ToneRite version One which I bought when they first come out and it just slots in the strings and leans on the bridge on a gently sloping guitar stand (Hercules). No bandages needed.

BluesKing777.

J45 just finished its ToneriteTime....

Calmly, calmly say it was a sensational guitar brand new out of the box 4 or 5 years back, but gentle bare finger picking hasn't driven the top like metal picks or some hard playing with a large and fat pick.......3 days Toneriting has given it a fuller, more mature sound - not vintage, but very nice. I can't decide whether to 'leave well enough alone' or get that bone nut and saddle instead of the Tusq.....

BluesKing777.