Gibson Brands Forums

Case Quality?

msr13

I couldn't be happier with my new 335. It sounds and plays beautifully. The case, however, seems a bit flimsy. Especially when I compare it to the Ameritage case that came with my Collings or the case that came with my PRS. The tolex is already chipping and we are only talking about two trips in the car. It feels lighter than the other two, and only has latches in the front and lower bout. I do like the silky cover for the guitar. Overall, not a big deal, I can always get an Ameritage for it, or something else, but I find it a little irksome. Do you guys invest in better cases? Or, are the cases actually just fine protection and I am unfairly comparing apples and oranges? By the way, have I mentioned how much I love the guitar?!?

I got one of those things with my '59 RI 335 last year, biggest pile of crap hardshell case I've ever seen. Totally unacceptable for an instrument of this value, a $200 import would have a better case. I'm looking into a TKL Custom Shop case for my '66 and may just buy two of them & leave this thing out in the rain.

I buy nothing but flight cases for my guitars. I prefer the plastic ones from SKB or Gator.

As you know, a guitar is more than the collection of it's parts. No two are alike. You can get another of the same model, and it will have a different personality. Therefore, the best protection you can get is the minimum you should get.

I do one-nighters and have put them on the airplane a couple of times, and although one of the flight cases got minimal damage on one of the flights, it still works and the guitar was untouched.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

I have a standard Gibson case for my 335. One of the brass tacks holding the brass plate attaching the handle comes away regularly, without falling out.

I don't take it out of the house that aften so this is not much of a problem, but not really the quality I would expect.

The case itself is perfectly good for its purpose.

The case for my SWD is very similar and gets taken out of the house alot. It's a bit scuffed up after a couple of years but does its job well.

I suppose the cases will wear out quicker than the guitar but that seems to me to be a good thing.

• 4 years later...

Is it me, or is the quality of the Gibson Custom Shop cases not as good as the Gibson USA cases?

I remember my Canada-made brown case (Lifton?) that I got to my '99 LP Custom in 1999. That thing was great! Thick handles, nice padding, just good sturdy build.

I was amazed that my Custom Shop case "upgrade" to a brown case, was so flimsy and cheesy (for a guitar that cost around $5000 in 2003)! It is made in Costa Rica...

Even my regular black Gibson Custom Shop case is better, but a far step away from my older brown Gibson USA case. The build is just terrible. The handle is flimsy and padding is thin. The tolex is hardly glued to the case in som areas, and the gold Gibson Custom logo is flaking off. Why is this an area of cost-cutting? It seems it should be the last place to cut costs... ESPECIALLY for a $5000 guitar!?

My only advice is, that if YOU don't care for the supplied stock case, simply Replace it!

I've never had an issue with any of my Gibson (stock) cases. They're about as "good"

as they've always been. Which, is adequate, not perfect. They've always done a good

job, of protecting my guitars, though. So...??? Maybe I'm just not that picky about

cases? IF I were a touring profesional, I'd have everything in "Flight cases!" As it

is, I'm (at best) a "weekend player," so the stock cases are just fine. [biggrin]

CB

My only advice is, that if YOU don't care for the supplied stock case, simply Replace it!

I've never had an issue with any of my Gibson (stock) cases. They're about as "good"

as they've always been. Which, is adequate, not perfect. They've always done a good

job, of protecting my guitars, though. So...??? Maybe I'm just not that picky about

cases? IF I were a touring profesional, I'd have everything in "Flight cases!" As it

is, I'm (at best) a "weekend player," so the stock cases are just fine. [biggrin]

CB

Same here. The only very shortcoming seem to be the styrofoam neck supports of some stock cases, causing dull and sticky areas on the guitar finish despite being lined with cloth.

When looking for a flightcase, one should take care that the foam cushions are lined with nitro finish compliant materials at a sufficient thickness. A former bandmate of mine used one without lining for his ebony Les Paul Custom for several years. Due to the black finish no discolouration happened, but the finish surface went from glossy to satin with time.

I think it may be a cost-cutting/profit center measure for Gibson.

I bought a Custom Shop 336 in 2003 and the case it wonderful. Sturdy handle, thick protective case, with a combination lock.

Bought a L5 a few months ago that cost three times as much as the 336, and the case is nothing to write home about. The case being very plain Jane does camouflage what is inside, but weak little key lock that you could probably pick with a pen knife or screwdriver.

But I guess the guitar is the main thing - at least they both came with a hardshell case, some only have gig bags now [thumbdn]

I've been using the newer cases for most of my gigs over the last dozen years, and while the brown cases certainly are nicer, the new ones have held up quite well and offer the benefit of lower weight as a byproduct of their cheaper construction.

I get to all my gigs by car. If I were flying to gigs I wouldn't user either style of case.

Danny W.

I love the Armitage cases that came with my Collings guitars. Not sure I want to shell out that kind of money for cases for my Gibsons though. Not that the Gibsons aren't worth protecting. Just a lot of money to replace cases that may not be as high a quality product but are getting the job done. Hope I'm not being short sighted though.

Archived