Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

Hey Tom I had to change my setup. The story why is in the Gibson Lounge. Anyhoo it really is in your face Marshall tone now. The bottom end on my new cab is unreal. The volume is almost twice as loud as before. Genz-Benz claims it out performs alot of 4 x 12 cabs. http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=1409&sid=419&cid=93

Also Tom it's easy to post pics. read the following thread. http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11276

IMG_0198.jpg

Later Rewd.

dawg thats looks like a killer setup there, that would give nosebleeds if your not careful.

tried some amps yesterday, the blackstars are nice, but i actually really like the marshall with the gibson guitar, for some reason it seems to bring out the pickups better.....but as you know a tube half stack is not cheap so i will sit tight for a bit....

yeah the pic i sent was taken by a telephone and loaded to the pc, i will try a real camera soon.....

rock on

dawg thats looks like a killer setup there' date=' that would give nosebleeds if your not careful.

tried some amps yesterday, the blackstars are nice, but i actually really like the marshall with the gibson guitar, for some reason it seems to bring out the pickups better.....but as you know a tube half stack is not cheap so i will sit tight for a bit....

yeah the pic i sent was taken by a telephone and loaded to the pc, i will try a real camera soon.....

rock on [/quote']

Just load the pic to photobucket from your PC, then copy the IMG code and paste it in your post. It will work.

Hey Tom, Marshall makes a 5 watt combo tube amp for around $400. Would be great for use in a Condo.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Class-5-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=621064

There is also The Marshall Haze for around $700 but 40W is quite a bit for a condo?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Haze-MHZ40C-40W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=581910

You don't need a 100W half stack to bring the rafters down in a condo. The 40W 1 x 12 combo would probably do it quite nicely and keep your ears ringing for a week or 2. The 5W combos are nice and might help you maintain your hearing better. It's really up to you.

BTW take another look at the pic of my setup and see if you can find what's different?

dawg whats up rocker,

yeah i had a gibson ga 5 with 8 inch speaker, didn't sound that great but then i hooked in the line 6 celestion 12 inch speaker and man that lil amp would crank, but it had to be pushed real loud to break up..

Then i had a crate 30 watt tube, again had tto be cranked up to sound good and it rattled after three days so i brought it back to G.C. and the guy tried to give me a hard time, wrong guy, lol.....

my friend has a Solid state amp with some good pedals he swears its the way to go for lower end practice when you can't turn it up...his rig sounds nice, but the marshall half stack sound is stuck in my head, lol..

rock on big dawg.......tom

Hey Tom, What's happening?

I know what you mean. We got my Marshall W/GB ext. cab out over the weekend. A friend knows someone who has a homemade outside stage on quite a few acres. We got to jam for the day. It was fun as all hell. One guitarist had an Orange Rocker 30 running thru a Randall 4 x 12. The other had a Peavy 75W Vyper setup running thru a Ibanez 4 x 12 and I had my Marshall W/ the Genz-Benz 2 x 12. I'm not trying to brag but the other guys just could not keep up with my setup. They kept saying how awesome my setup sounded. The other guitarists kept wanting to use my Marshall. Since I play rythmn guitar I obliged them. All said and done they used my setup more than I did. It sure does sound sweet cranked up to 11. I didn't use any effects other than a wah pedal.

In response to your situation. I would at least check out the Marshall Class 5 1 x 10 combo amp. Read the reviews on a few sites like MF, Sweetwater, Zzounds etc. Most of the reviews were positive and they say you get the Marshall tone out of them but you do have to crank it up to get good distortion. If it is too loud then your friend may be right. I would test run all the modeling amps out there and see if any of them get close to the sound you want. I am not too familiar with SS modeling amps. The 2 I hear the most about is the Line 6 and the Peavy Vypr. Maybe you can run a Tonelab SE thru your Line 6 speaker. I hear some great reviews of people getting great tone using them thru their SS amps.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Peace Man!

Rewd

hey dawg

yea i was looking at a new marshall tube combo is 700, but has the 12 inch speaker think its 40 watts, lol, more then i need but it has the 12 inch speaker. the two tube combos with the 8 inch just didn't sound right that i had tried...Seems like the speaker can't push and open up. like it waffles out.........yes and to tell the truth, my line 6 comes real close to sounding like a few different amps, but after listening to the sg you tube i sent , now that tone was real sweet...

I actually played a prs through a used genz amp that was a big beast, and it had some touch sense that was real sweet, very pure..they make real high end stuff, glad you made a good buy...with all the stuff available its not always easy....later daug............................tom

hey dawg

yea i was looking at a new marshall tube combo is 700' date=' but has the 12 inch speaker think its 40 watts, lol, more then i need but it has the 12 inch speaker. the two tube combos with the 8 inch just didn't sound right that i had tried...Seems like the speaker can't push and open up. like it waffles out.........yes and to tell the truth, my line 6 comes real close to sounding like a few different amps, but after listening to the sg you tube i sent , now that tone was real sweet...

I actually played a prs through a used genz amp that was a big beast, and it had some touch sense that was real sweet, very pure..they make real high end stuff, glad you made a good buy...with all the stuff available its not always easy....later daug............................tom[/quote']

Yo Tom, What up?

I think you might have missed the specs on the Marshall Class 5 Combo. It sports a 10" speaker. The 10" speakers are a big difference compared to an 8" speaker. The reviews I have read have been about 95% positive on the Class 5 1 x 10 combo . There were quite a bit of complaints about the 40 watt 1x12 combo. The other thing to consider is with a 40 watt tube amp you would have to use pedals to get the distortion you want at lower volume levels. The 40 watt has the potential to really irritate neighbors considering where you live.

I don't know if you noticed but I got rid of my Vox because of problems and went ahead and got the Orange Tiny Terror. I can switch it from 15W to 7W for practice at home. It will also save my hearing. It gets plenty loud at 7W so I don't even crank it all the way up. It sports a great British rock tone. You can get an Orange Tiny Terror 1 x 12 combo for about $860 and it has close to 100% positive reviews. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-Tiny-Terror-TT15C12-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424047 I would definately try one out at the local music shop. I have played the combo amp at the music store. It has great tone for rock and can be cleaned up well if you know how.

Happy hunting

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByqOINY9xGA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Rewd

dawg check out this axe.....

http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/1868322195.html

later tom

That's a beautiful guitar. The 57 classics with the 6 way varitone switch has got to sound awesome. The price doesn't look too bad. They sell for $2800 new.

BTW what do you think of the Orange Tiny Terror. I think it is the ideal combo amp for in a condo. You can get a great distortion at 7 watts and lower volumes. That's why I bought one. You need to listen to the videos above with headphones or a decent computer sound system to really hear how good these amps sound. Great British tone!

Later Dude,

Rewd.

That orange amp is the bomb, but he ahs the wrong guitar, lol, but i bet with a gibson it would have more grainy brown punch.....

oh that guitar was close to me in enfield....

hey epi has a hollow body "tom delonge es 333" with dirty finger pickup'' check this out its real light..........

later my dawg....

That orange amp is the bomb' date=' but he ahs the wrong guitar, lol, but i bet with a gibson it would have more grainy brown punch.....

oh that guitar was close to me in enfield....

hey epi has a hollow body "tom delonge es 333" with dirty finger pickup'' check this out its real light..........

later my dawg....

[/quote']

Yeah, my Orange TT sounds great now. Just think what it will sound like when I replace the Chinese tubes with either JJ's, Mullards or Electro Harmonix. They are a little pricey but in my mind well worth the money. Especially since you don't have to turn them all the way up to get good tube distortion.

Those Dirty Fingers pups really rock. That semi hollow body gives a different tone. The guy in the video is wrong about the DF pups. They do clean up beautifully. When you add reverb and a little chorus thay sound like you are in heaven.

Rewd.

Those tubes cost money, but remember some spend thousands struggling to get the right tone, and to me if you are that close a few hundred is like nothing compared to buying a GOOD amp, or new gibson guitar...

I am gonna try that amp next chance i get.....

About the dirty fingers, people also say that about the burstbucker pros on my studio, and when i bought it new they could be a little brittle and had to much treble, but i just lowered the pickups with the adjustment screw, and they softed up nice....but they had some treble, so i turn down the treble two notched and wah laa.....real excellant semi acoustic and burning overdrive sounds...now they still sell that studio for 799.00 at mf....and its one of the best bargins in the guitar world...all the hardware and pickups are exactly the same as certain standards, minus the binding (does not affect tone) and the finish, maple cap...thay also make some standards semi hollow now.....

Thats what attracted me to the es 137, on semi acoustic guitars, and if you look at the prices for the es 335, the 137's are a steal...lol for 2k that is...

let me try to post that picture again before my job kills me off...lol later my dawg

I reread my last post and made it sound like the tubes are pricey. I meant to say that Orange amps are a little pricey but the Tiny Terror is a class A amp and is well worth the money.

Those semi hollow guitars add a different spectrum to pickups but the guitars just seem a little bulky to me and they are not as light as a person might think. My friend let me try his Dot and that's the impression I got from it. It's am Epi but I figure a Gibson shares pretty much the same sizes and are comparable in weight.

I guess I am just hooked on the SG.

Rewd.

see if this works dawg

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/tombrown123/2.jpg

i blew it to 200 percent in photobucket but it won't save it expanded.....?

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/tombrown123/2-2-1-2.jpg

tom

later

2-1.jpg

HEY DAWG' date='

I RESIZE IT ON PHOTOBUCKET, THEN TRY TO MOVE IT HERE BUT IT WON'T MAKE IT BIGGER?

LOL[/quote']

Yeah I am not so tech savy. A digital camera is easier to work with when you get a chance. A most excellent looking guitar dude. I know why you are so proud. Post more pics when you can.

Long Live Rock!

Rewd.

Tom another thing, When you use a camera the pic will be small at first. Just double click on the photo you want to post and it should come up full size. You shouldn't have to resize it. Just double click the img code it will say copied. Then come to the forum and paste it in your text. Good luck!

Rewd.

hey dawg

played one of these when i was trying amps because it has the "57"s in it and boy this guitar sounded so good and light, very light.....I told the guy take it away because i was getting the itch, and the neck was very slim.....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Custom-ES339-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar-with-3060-Neck?sku=515256

Of course the sg 3 is the main blues machine for this player....lol

later

tom

Yo Tom, Those are excellent guitars. Just a tad too big for my taste but they sound most excellent. BTW what amps have you tried so far? My local guitar shop has a special sound room so you can really crank it up if you want to. Must be fun test driving the different amps out there!

Rewd.

my dawg

Problem is that when i went to gc got set up with the marshall within 5 minutes all the kids are coming in and cranking up the amps and can't hear myself think....tried the vox also, then the small fender dec, but hard to hear above the racket....

Think i am going to try daddys junky music they are not as busy, and i hear they have the blackstar line now, plus they have the standards. have to try the orange thats on the list........But if money and condo living were not involved, right now it seems the marshalls have the better tones....My friend has the little 15 watt s/s/ and that even sounds pretty good for a little amp...lol...

.later dawg