Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

I think there's a lot to be said for 'less hot' '57 pickups. Perhaps they sound a bit sweeter somehow. However my V has the standard Gibson pickups, but I only found out after buying it that they had been overwound by 10%. I do know that everyone says it sounds superb, which kind of trashes the less hot theory though. Both my SG Carved Top and 2007 LP have Burstbucker/Pro sets though, and they sound good to my ears.

The SG Custom has been completely renovated, and has a matched and calibrated set of three Bare Knuckle Riff Raff pickups, which are not particularly hot, along the lines of Angus Young's. But as it simply hangs on the wall and I've never actually played it in anger I can't say what it sounds like. I did want to get the original 1973 'black back' resin-potted pickups re-plated, but was warned against trying to remove the covers for damaging them. They checked out at 7.4K for the bridge, down to 5.2K for the neck. I don't know what they sounded like either because as soon as the guitar arrived it went straight to the guitar shop for the restoration.

Guitars are so subjective, you love one or you don't. I think you were wise to leave the SG neck alone. I don't like Fenders because they just don't feel right to me, although they sound great.

• 2 weeks later...

hey rainbow

Yes i think with guitar pickups there seems to be a trade off. The burstbuckers are great pickups..Clean they are great and they overdrive quite well but i was getting a little to much treble, or some call it harshness or brittleness when overdriven hard. The studio faded i had was a hollow body and boy I'd get some super acoustic tones from that guitar..Some of Gibson early guitars, i think they said the black beauty was semi hollow with the B>B> pickups, but i never checked that statement. but really clear clean tones.

Now with the ""57"" pickups there is also some really great cleans that i get with mine, but maybe a step below the B. B. pickups, more warm but less clear?, but they overdrive really well and harmonics pop nice when driven hard also...I don't think i get the "loss" of response when i drive the 57's like ""sometimes" i did with the B.B. pickups.

Response being some loss of the 'base" tones and the breakdown of being over, overdriven....lol

Having said all that i just put the DR Blues strings on the SG 3 and I have to say at first they sounded a little compressed.

After my ear adjusted it seems there is less brightness, aka treble, but the package says brighter treble, lol, go figure.

But what i hear after a good listen is clearer treble response and the abilty to control treble with amp and guitar tone controls where as before with the other GHS boomers the treble end seemed to be shrilly. On or off with the guitar tone control is what i mean to say also with the ghs strings.

More like a flatter response that brings out the pickups natural qualities. I also read they wear the frets less for the vintage guitars...They don't hardly stretch at all, put them on tune them up, they last longer because all nickel( they say, )and i will say they are wicked smooth to play, like they are coated with glass almost.really like these strings so far..

regards

tom

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the link for the auction for Mary Fords Gibson SG custom that she had played for years.

This was bought by Pawn Stars (television program) for 90k and had aired a couple weeks ago.

Great history on this guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mary-Fords-Personal-Gibson-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-History-Channels-Pawn-Stars-/220939792311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337109afb7

• 2 weeks later...

Do you know when the SG Custom '68 RI was produced?

temp29.jpg

Yes. 1992. I had one that was darker than that, somewhere between brown and dark red. It was a '67 reissue (25 years) stamped 1992. Great guitar. Traded it for my '61 jr about 4 years ago.

1128738277054428040S600x600Q85.jpg

1128738268054428040S600x600Q85.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to post a 1973 gibson custom that looks to be in really good condition.

There is not a picture of the inside of the pickups, and i am not sure if they used orange caps back then or what.

Any comments ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-SG-CUSTOM-GUITAR-1973-THREE-PICKUPS-BIGSBY-TAILPIECE-CLEAN-/380414658117?pt=Guitar&hash=item58927b0645

Thanks rainbow, I thought the condition of that guitar was so good it made me suspect a refinish or something. Thats a banging sg there.

I can't see what it went for but with a starting bid of 2500, look at the piece of equipment you get for that and its vintage to boot.it'd be a no brainer if i had the money for it.

Do you think these older customs are under-valued for some reason. I know some people shy away from three pickup guitars, not sure why though...

p.s.

Rainbow just checked it again it is relisted and the starting bid is lowered to 2399...

NO one bid on it..here is the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-SG-CUSTOM-GUITAR-1973-THREE-PICKUPS-BIGSBY-TAILPIECE-CLEAN-/251009589297?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a71566031

Hey Tom its been a while. hope all is well.

Here's a link to a used 07' SG3. I think the description is a little deceptive and the price a little high. I need to keep an eye on it. If it sells it gives me an approx. selling price for mine. i am at a crossroads and may have to sell one of my guitars. I hope things change and I get to keep her. check it out and let me know what you think.

Rewd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251012337285&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

hey dawg welcome back

Just got my neck reset by a guy that had worked on guitars for thirty year.. the action is so much better i can play for hours now.I had never done one and didn't want to screw it up so he did it.

Now are you sure you wanna sell that sg 3 ?

Plug it in that orange and put on the bridge humbucker just to be sure...lol

Its as close as i'll ever get to owning a custom so i'll never sell mine..

rock on

Thanks rainbow, I thought the condition of that guitar was so good it made me suspect a refinish or something. Thats a banging sg there.

I can't see what it went for but with a starting bid of 2500, look at the piece of equipment you get for that and its vintage to boot.it'd be a no brainer if i had the money for it.

Do you think these older customs are under-valued for some reason. I know some people shy away from three pickup guitars, not sure why though...

p.s.

Rainbow just checked it again it is relisted and the starting bid is lowered to 2399...

NO one bid on it..here is the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIBSON-SG-CUSTOM-GUITAR-1973-THREE-PICKUPS-BIGSBY-TAILPIECE-CLEAN-/251009589297?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a71566031

If I was in the market for another, I would have bought it. It's possible it has sat boxed for years, hence the condition.

Do I think older Customs are under valued? Well, I have a conflict of interest because I own one! It is important to note when you look at my pistures that I wanted a BRAND NEW 1973 SG Custom, the very same as the one I used to dribble over when I saw it in the shop window when I was 14 years old. They were so expensive at the equivalent of about $700, it might as well have been a million, because there was no way I could ever have afforded to buy one. So I swore I'd get one some day, and some 36 years later, I did. I had it completely refurbished to make it like the one I always wanted. If that's heresy, I don't care, and if that's selfish in destroying the so-called antique value, I don't care either. As for the 3 pickup arrangement, for sure, it's a pain sometimes, but it's just like driving a different car: you get used to it. Do I use it? No. It hangs on my music room wall so I can admire it, just like I used to all those years ago with my nose pressed against the shop window.

hey rainbow i understand that when i first got my sg 3 it was so mint i didn't want to play it.

I bought A SG 3 FADED that has the 490's in it and was using that and just picking up the sg3 with the "57" pickups on it on occasion.

then i had a cash crunch so had to sell the sg 3 faded and since then have gotten a couple light scrathes on the sg 3 on my profile but love that guitar and love the 57 pickups..

just had the neck adjusted by a guy that worked on buddy holly s guitar after he had died...action is just perfect now.

tom

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom

What's up Bro?

How are things? Good I hope!

Funny how things work out. Just as I thought I was in the position to have to sell my beloved SG3 things turn around. I will be keeping her after all. I also had the opportunity to trade my Epiphone Custom SG EX for a mint 2010 Schecter ATX Blackjack flying V with a Floyd Rose. Its an awesome metal shredder. Slim tapered satin neck, ebony FB, 24 frets, Grover tuners and all Mahogany It's Black satin color with aged triple binding. The guitar was made in Korea and assembled in USA. It has the Seymour Duncan Blackouts which I like much more than EMG's just a personal taste thing. I happened to be in the local guitar store when the kid and his mother brought it in. He had gotten it for Christmas and only played it a few times but he doesn't like the V shape for playing. He prefers to sit and play alot apparently. Anyhoo I think it's a good buy for $400. I'll post some pics whenever I get my camera away from my daughter. LOL

Peace Bro and Keep On Rockin!!

P.S. here's some info on the guitar a pic of a white one is at bottom of page

http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Blackjack-ATX-V-1-FR.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey dawg

Been busy so haven't posted in a while.

Yes i like that guitar and the schecter necks are so nice.

I had a c1 limited artist and regret selling it , but needed the dough to get my sg 3 .

Also, i don,t like the emg pickups, i think the duncans have more warmth for clean, and more depth.

They also will hold the base tones when driven real hard...

Whats not to like...lol

Rock on...

Tom

• 2 months later...

Wanted to post this fine example of a sg custom.

If you look at the prices of upper end guitars, or guitars in this price range, i think you will agree this is a bargin.

The sound of these guitars is really sweet, and this is also a very unique color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Gibson-SG-Custom-Shop-Electric-Guitar-Blue-Sparkle-Mint-Condition-3-Pickup-/370640609439?pt=Guitar&hash=item564be6e09f

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

This is my first post. Sorry for the double post, I'm working on the pictures... I have recently bought an SG-3 and wanted to share it with everyone. It has had some custom work done to it (previous to my purchase). The chicken head has been replaced as well as the pots. Now both pots are push/pulls. With both knobs up all three pickups are on and the switch is no longer is active. One pull and you get a very out of phase sound, the other one up is a hard mute.

The hardware has also been changed to silver.

Let me know what you think!

SoCoMo

post-47499-078452900 1348767496_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

socomo thanks for the post.

that guitar must scream with all three pickups engaged.

i believe the gibson posted pickup selections are wrong, at least on my guitar.

been busy i moved but want to keep this thread going if theres a interest.

hello dawg how are you ?

tom

socomo thanks for the post.

that guitar must scream with all three pickups engaged.

i believe the gibson posted pickup selections are wrong, at least on my guitar.

been busy i moved but want to keep this thread going if theres a interest.

hello dawg how are you ?

tom

Hey Tom,

What's happening? Things are good still banging on my guitars. If you get a chance check out the 70's tribute SG guitar for 2013. Pretty cool! 24 frets, Dirty Finger pups and comes in ebony, red and sunburst for $899. Only drag is a HS case is seperate but still a nice buy. Man I am getting serious GAS for this. Well hope all is well.

Merry Christmas to everyone on Gibson blog!

Rewd.

• Upvote 1