• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

#41 User is offline   tom brown 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

That night train looks very interesting, i live in a condo so the 7 watts would be good..on a bit of a limited budget after my sg 3 purchase...lol, but i will never sell that guitar.............

I had a gibson ga 5 , then a crate 30 watt, but the gibson had no headroom at all, the crate you had to crank to loud for here, and then the thing rattled anyway.....leads to me the line 6 spider 4,( i know the hardcore tube people are watching, lol) which i just burned a few songs, rough drafts only, don;t have a way to edit at all.

And i am using a tascam dr08, so i loop for 18 seconds on the amp, then play lead over with the recorder....not that techie so it took a bit to burn a cd as its not to friendly with media player, so had to use a windows based program..

rew, is there a place i could move music from a cd to a site ?

oh, does the flying v still made with the 496 and 500t, hot pickups...i have the isle of wright hendrix dvd, he smokes on that axe...

thanks tom

#42 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hey Tom, How are you? You might like the night train but it still can get pretty loud even at 7.5W It really depends on where in your condo you are playing relative to walls with your neighbors. You know to get the tubes to sound right. I crank it at least 2-3 O clock in the 7.5W mode and I play in a fairly large room in the basement. I personally don't do any recording so that may be a question in another section or directed to someone else. My Flying V does have the 496R/500T pups and I love them. I've found them to be more versatile than some people give them credit for but I also love my Dirty Fingers pups. I play some clean, a little blues, hard rock and old metal. Hendrix could make any guitar sound good depending on the shape he was in. Talk to you later and Keep On Rockin!!!!

P.S. Check out this link post #5 http://forums.gibson...g=posts&t=32003

Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Gibson 2007 New Century Flying V (LE)
Epiphone 2008 Prophecy SG Custom EX
Epiphone 2009 Prophecy SG Custom GX W/Gibson Dirty Fingers pups.
Ibanez 2007 XPT 700 Xiphos
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602
Genz-Benz 2 x 12 ext. cab
Orange Tiny Terror Amp Head
Roland 30X Cube
Pedals: Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah, Boss Metal Zone & Metal Core, Ibanez Echo/Delay & Chorus/Flanger

#43 User is offline   tom brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

hello rew, hope your rockin the house as usual........

here is the link to hendrix playing isle of wight on you tube, but the sounds sucks and he doesn't finsin the video, however the dvd is cleaned up pretty well although he was also having problems with the sound system, and don't forget think it was 1972, and he had no mixers, and pretty much was plugged in with effects and the amp ( by roadies) and thats it....but the dvd is well worth the dough if your a hendrix fan....that version of red house, was his last concert i believe, was alot more bluesy then others, and the guitar at the end, on dvd, he has the pickups screaming , actually more screeching, real nice sound......if your into to it...lol

take care tom

#44 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:22 PM

That's a cool video Tom! Have you seen the video of Hendrix playing his right handed SG-3 w/ maestro tremelo? Here's a link

Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube
Pedals: Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah, Boss Metal Zone & Metal Core, Ibanez Echo/Delay & Chorus/Flanger

#45 User is offline   tom brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

no i didn't know he played the sg 3, hot video thanks.........

You know satana, and clapton played gibsons early, back in the day, as alot of others did, but they sold out, lol....

This next video, he used to walk in to play clubs with bb king and they would say"watch your scotch, watch your women, their here "....clapton actually has played with him and that 335 sounds real sweet for 1973, and outdoor concert, if you have computer speakers crank them up rock star.....you probably heard of him.

tom

#46 User is offline   mduke22 

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

tom brown - I decided to keep the SG and not make any trades for that SG Custom. Rewddawg1... Thanks for the info. Here is my SG Posted Image

#47 User is offline   mduke22 

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Here is how it would turn out if i'd make the changes I want. Posted Image What do you think?

#48 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

MDuke nice SG. Does your guitar have the routing under the pickguard to put in humbuckers? If so all you need to do is get some pups and a new pickguard. If not I would look for a nice used SG-3 later and buy it. It appears from the pic that your pickups are connected to the pickguard and you can't tell what's underneath. Let us know and show some pics.
Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#49 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

no i didn't know he played the sg 3, hot video thanks.........

You know satana, and clapton played gibsons early, back in the day, as alot of others did, but they sold out, lol....

This next video, he used to walk in to play clubs with bb king and they would say"watch your scotch, watch your women, their here "....clapton actually has played with him and that 335 sounds real sweet for 1973, and outdoor concert, if you have computer speakers crank them up rock star.....you probably heard of him.

tom

If Freddie King was who you were referring to he is a great blues master. If not open the IME before you post so we can have a direct link. Peace Bro
Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#50 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hey someone has turned off all the links in this post does anyone know why?

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#51 User is offline   tom brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

hey rewdaug,

I played the hendrix link you posted, and then when i came back and added the other link it was down.....you can cut and paste, let me try it again though...........oh, the middle of that may get a little slow, but the end is worth it...

would not let me open before posting rew

later tom

#52 User is offline   mduke22 

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

Rewddawg1 - Here it is. Posted Image

and

Posted Image

I don't know much about the types of routing. Can you please help me out?

thanks!

#53 User is offline   mduke22 

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

And this is a SG Special that was Single coils.. but i saw a pic of this guitar that was changed by a store that is now selling it for a bit more... So I am guessing the it has the routing. Another blog was saying that this one had it, but i dont know much. I am just assuming.

Posted Image

#54 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

I'm not a guitar tech but it looks to be routed specifically for the single coil pups. You might be able to use double single coils. They are single coils doubled up to humbuck. Rerouting is a costly way to go and you don't want mistakes. Maybe a Techie could help you more than me. Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#55 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

The pup in the neck position would have to be rerouted & I don't know much about woodwork. Actually at closer look the whole cavity probably needs work.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#56 User is offline   tom brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

yeah duke i do believe some are routed for humbuckers like rew was saying, but that picture looks alot like the sg 3 faded, which was 650 new u.s., and someone had put humbucker covers on it....it also has the 6 way switch, and i doubt someone would do all that to a faded, maybe one like yours , but even that gonna be expensive.....

it looks like it would need to be routed out for the buckers to fit.....Now i actually have taked a mohawk class to repair wood, but to router out that body you have to go deeper, and there is always a chance of someone punching though the body and ruining the guitar.....i would take a different course for what its worth

did you play the black sg3, i played one years ago new and loved it, but passed and then ordered one of ebay which turned out to be a bit beat up, then i sold it. but if you can get a nice one they are quite nice. one i missed was like new ebay went for 540 with a flight case, so they do pop up cheaper then the ones there now for 1200....

...i'd say try that faded ,like with a clean setting amp, see if you like the tones, you can always throw a 57 classic plus in the bridge to beef it up later , if you like it.....your single coil usually sells for more then the faded...used or new

I don't remember seeing a sg 3 single coil faded version, but i may be wrong...rew ?

#57 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

The SG3 single coil model was a guitar of the week and is no longer made. The faded look is mostly how much stain and how much Nitro is applied to the guitar in a short answer. They do some other tricks but that's the way I look at it. Mduke I really like the finish on your guitar. The single blades make it more unique. In my opinion I would keep her and look for a used SG-3 with humbuckers on ebay. Just make sure it is a highly rated seller and will accept returns if the guitar is not as advertised. It may take you longer to achieve this feat but in the long run you will be glad you decided to do so. Make sure it has the chicken head switch not the 3 way pup selector. For what it's worth that's my opinion. Also how can a distributor put the Gold Star Gibson Warranty on a modified guitar unless it's a custom? Good Luck and Keep On Rockin!!!!
Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#58 User is offline   tom brown 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:56 AM

why have i called that a chicken head, rather then chicken foot, lol, oh well,

yes i am sure that a sg 3 faded(black one) and that looks to be in new condition......

rock on

tom

#59 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:44 AM

Tom because that's what Gibson calls it a chicken head knob. I wrote it down wrong. My bad.
Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

#60 User is offline   Rewddawg1 

• Advanced Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hey Tom here's a couple of videos of a guy having fun with his SG-3 thru a Marshall Stack. Hope you enjoy.
Rewd.

My Toys:
Gibson 2007 SG3-HCGH
Taylor 2004 Big Baby
Roland 30X Cube

Share this topic:

• (24 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users