Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

hey rewdaug,

I played the hendrix link you posted, and then when i came back and added the other link it was down.....you can cut and paste, let me try it again though...........oh, the middle of that may get a little slow, but the end is worth it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGLmZCZ1sXY

would not let me open before posting rew

later tom

And this is a SG Special that was Single coils.. but i saw a pic of this guitar that was changed by a store that is now selling it for a bit more... So I am guessing the it has the routing. Another blog was saying that this one had it, but i dont know much. I am just assuming.

SG3Black.jpg

I'm not a guitar tech but it looks to be routed specifically for the single coil pups. You might be able to use double single coils. They are single coils doubled up to humbuck. Rerouting is a costly way to go and you don't want mistakes. Maybe a Techie could help you more than me. Rewd.

yeah duke i do believe some are routed for humbuckers like rew was saying, but that picture looks alot like the sg 3 faded, which was 650 new u.s., and someone had put humbucker covers on it....it also has the 6 way switch, and i doubt someone would do all that to a faded, maybe one like yours , but even that gonna be expensive.....

it looks like it would need to be routed out for the buckers to fit.....Now i actually have taked a mohawk class to repair wood, but to router out that body you have to go deeper, and there is always a chance of someone punching though the body and ruining the guitar.....i would take a different course for what its worth

did you play the black sg3, i played one years ago new and loved it, but passed and then ordered one of ebay which turned out to be a bit beat up, then i sold it. but if you can get a nice one they are quite nice. one i missed was like new ebay went for 540 with a flight case, so they do pop up cheaper then the ones there now for 1200....

...i'd say try that faded ,like with a clean setting amp, see if you like the tones, you can always throw a 57 classic plus in the bridge to beef it up later , if you like it.....your single coil usually sells for more then the faded...used or new

I don't remember seeing a sg 3 single coil faded version, but i may be wrong...rew ?

The SG3 single coil model was a guitar of the week and is no longer made. The faded look is mostly how much stain and how much Nitro is applied to the guitar in a short answer. They do some other tricks but that's the way I look at it. Mduke I really like the finish on your guitar. The single blades make it more unique. In my opinion I would keep her and look for a used SG-3 with humbuckers on ebay. Just make sure it is a highly rated seller and will accept returns if the guitar is not as advertised. It may take you longer to achieve this feat but in the long run you will be glad you decided to do so. Make sure it has the chicken head switch not the 3 way pup selector. For what it's worth that's my opinion. Also how can a distributor put the Gold Star Gibson Warranty on a modified guitar unless it's a custom? Good Luck and Keep On Rockin!!!!

Rewd.

Rewddawg1 - Well... I guess your right about keeping it as it is. I just don't want to go out and pay 400-500 for a SG3 if I could do it on this guitar. I am going to take it to a techie to check it out. I prefer freelance techs that in-store ones because they do a better and more personalized job according to what you want. If it's not possible to put humbuckers, then Ill just keep it as is and use it for certain recording tracks. I think I just want to take it to band practices sometimes instead of the Les Paul, but I feel its not as punchy with single coils. What other types of single coils could I look for to add more bottom end? Any advice?

Thanks guys

Mario

Thing is,, if i may butt in, i did that ,tried to chase a gibson tone through epi, schecters, esp's. and you can get a better sound duke, but in the end it won't be the same as the sg 3.....if you got the itch for one it will never go away, you can run, but you can't hide, (lol) you will end up, in the end, buying the guitar you want ....trust me went through it for years, and in the end its cheaper to cut your losses , sell one, and use part the money to get to get what you really need to get the sound you want....then you can rock without the distraction of not being "there" with the power and tone you like...

The "stacked " humbuckers that rew mentioned are very good these days, not sure if gibson makes them, but they will not be cheap, and if it don;t work the way you want, you may have de'valued that sg 3 single ....even if you put them back your stuck with 3 humbuckers.....

i mean, i went without alot of things to get this one, so i am not rich....looked for two long years for a mint one...

duke, how much was that black sg 3 in usa dollars? that looked real nice...

.peace

tom

rew i like the sound of them with the marshalls, and i did listen to riff guy a few times, i am gonna try to do some of his stuff. tell me, is the marshall your favorite, if you could only have one amp?

hey there is a ebony sg 3 on ebay, the guy said it was one of 400, so i emailed and asked where he got the info, he says gibson told him there were 400 ebony, 400 cherry made, wonder if this is the same, he calls it a limited.....heres the link....

lol, its gone, was there this morning, must have run out will check again for it....

rock on

tom

tom brown - It was $700.00 american... They are selling it as used actually. Yea its pretty sweet ehh? Guys, now that we were talking about changing pickups and maybe finding a new one... I just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/gibson-sg-2007-model-/260617919506?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3cae09dc12

This guy is selling my same SG, but he says on the page (please look), that the pickups were changed by the previous owner and that it had the single coils... So its the same one I have. This means that I can reverse this guitar to humbuckers :P:P:P I am soooo happy!!!!! You guys are right about not spending too much and finding the SG 3 ... but the reason why i am insisting is because I like the finish of this SG... thats the only reason. This guy is selling this guitar used for $900.00 I guess because it was modified. Something interesting is that this dude added the pickups on top of the pick-guard... it looks a bit odd... but i guess thats ok.

mduke, i looked at my sg3 , and the pickup rings at the neck pickup are almost flush, and the middle pickup and ring have more height, and the bridge is the highest......that one on ebay doesn't look like the pickups are installed corrrectly, but its hard to tell by the picture, ....understand that will affect tone .....

i really like the look of that black sg, you try that guitar??

hey rew, i have a slight problem with my sg guitar case....it actually came with a les paul case, same as my studio, but the lock was broke, no big deal, but the sg doesn't quite fit right...

the body is elevated a little near the neck, actually 1.5 inches, which causes the neck not to rest in its spot, its also elevated a bit out of the neck rest...

was thinking of cutting out the material that elevates the body, seeing as the lock is broke and i don't have any dough for a good sg case, but afraid i will totally screw it up.....

i only latch two latchs, because it compress the fret real hard when i close it all the way do to the elevated neck......because of that, two latches, ( on either end) when it gets humid i think its the neck is moving more then normal, goes out of tune....any info is appreciated....

oh, and rock the house tonight, its friday...lol

tom

Hey Tom, I like your enthusiasm for the weekend but it's only Thursday. That doesn't mean we can't still rock the house down. I don't know what to tell you about your case. Even a cheap Gator case or something that fits correctly would be better than what you are describing. Not sure I would use the case. Even keeping your guitar on a good stand would be better until you can get a case. I also looked at the pics of the SG Mduke was looking at . The pup rings look as if he put them on in the wrong order or they are not the right pup rings. It also could be looking strange because they are mounted on the pickguard not quite sure? Peace Bros. and Keep On Rockin!!!!

Rewd.

rew ,

actually worked ten days in a row, now have three off, back to work 4th of july so i can't remember what day it is, lol.....

Those rings, or pickup mounting are really off in that picture duke showed us, refitting a guitar is never simple, as i have done a few, and failed at a few more...i been trying to tell duke, nut in is easy

musicians friend had a sg case for 50, but the reviewers said it dones not fit right, and i have to pay shipping....

that sg 3 is back on ebay, is this the same as ours? says the serial number is 137 or sumthing...heres the link...he says in a email to me and on ebay only 400 were made, can you confirm,lol, i know its alot work but i am not sure where to look....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-SG-3-Limited-Edition-Ebony-w-Gold-Hardware-/250659297366?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3a5c755856

this is a short version of what i listened to when i was like 12,lol

later rock star

There has been a couple of SG-3's on Ebay making this claim. I called Gibson and they could not verify how many SG-3's were made. Oddly it appears that guitar has the shorter serial# whatever that means. The odd thing is all the SG-3's I see for sale are ebony. I have not seen any Heritage Cherry for sale.

Rewd.

I don't play LP's but it looks nice except for the close up on the side of the neck. It looks like it has been knocked over or dropped. Hard to tell because it is focused on such a small area. I wouldn't pay that much for the guitar. He also has a strict return policy. Those Black Beauty's were beautiful guitars new.

rew your right, and alot of lp's on ebay seem to be a bit overpriced, and some are close to what they go for new...and damaged to.....

thats the reason i like the lp studio i have, has all the same parts as a lp, bridge, tailpiece, tuners, and bb pro's to boot...has a hollow body which was weight relief i believe, but you can get some nice acoustic sounds from this guitar by adjusting the pickups, which are copies of the pat pending using uneven windings. and the pickups also roar for electric sounds..heres the one i have....gibson had said it was based on the black beauty design.....

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=517030

i have the faded cherry and got the lp hard case for 699 before they went up....If you do the math, just to buy the parts i think is like 500, so i think for someone after a new gibson any of the studios are a real good value, and i think a very fair price.....

was gonna play it yesterday but you know i plugged in the sg 3 and got distracted, lol.....

rock the house this weekend.......tom