Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

dawg w.b. bro

yes little tweaks to amps can make all the difference in the world.

i just have that line 6 spider 4 monster but gibson had posted how to tweak amps for overdrive using amp controls so i followed the directions and its amazing just moving drive and volume around the different sounds you get.

also there was a new jimi hendrix video on tv showing unreleased material but there was a short loop of him trying trying a sg 3 custom 67 maybe....

can you see if that photo is online and post it here if your not to busy ?

i have no internet and only a phone here...

rock and roll

tom

Is this it? I think it is a '67 and he is playing Red House?

HendrixSG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi dawg

the clip was of him in a store and i think he was testing that guitar lol

i have not seen that clip you posted before today. where did you find that ?

also as you know gibson has a new sg with "57" s in it and a slim.taper neck with mini tune system oh momma this is one fine sg dawg...

thanks for photo ..

tom

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No problem charlie.

Drop some photos here we like to see them.

Oh my sg 3 has a regular serial number. very odd .. but it plays like butter and growls like a tiger.

The pickups take time to adjust to get them right though.

Regards

tom

• 3 weeks later...

Not to totally derail this thread but Charlie Brown, if you could only keep one of those SGs, which one would it be? They all look really nice.

They ARE All "really nice!" Luckily, I don't have to make that decision. But, IF

I did, it would probably be the "Original." It has the nicest wood grain, and a

great neck (as they all do). The tone of all of them, is Awesome, so that's not

really a consideration, in this hypothetical scenario. [biggrin]

CB

• 1 month later...

Personally i like the three pickup versions.

When you engage the bridge and middle or bridge and neck the tones are really great...The "57" pickups are one of the best in the world i think..

Roll and Roll at its best...

C.B. how many SG ' s do you have ??

Tom

Just the 4 pictured! I had several in my youth, in "the Sixties," that were sold off,

when I stopped playing 40 years ago. (Long story) When I started playing again, in about

2000, I looked at SG's again, but didn't really care for the narrower beveling, and lack of

horn tapering, that was "Standard" at the time. In late 2012 and 2013 Gibson went back to

the wider beveling, and traditional horn tapers, that were the Hallmark of the line, originally,

and I couldn't resist, any longer! I only hope they'll continue that trend, and re-introduce

a "Special" (P-90's) and "Junior" with the same beveling and horn tapering, in the near future.

Otherwise, I'm "good=satisfied" with what I have now. [thumbup][biggrin]

The first actual "electric guitar" I ever played, was a '61-62? Les Paul (SG) Junior, with a

single "Dog Ear" P-90! It belonged to the older brother of a good friend of mine, that played

drums. We wanted to start a band, but I didn't have an electric guitar (at that time), so his

brother loaned me his Gibson SG Junior, and his little Gibson Amp, as well. (He had stopped

playing them, by that time, and they were just "collecting dust.") Our classmate, and bass

player also had an EB-0, at one point. So, SG's are very much a part of MY "Rock & Roll"

guitar playing history.

CB

• 4 weeks later...

Hey c.b.

Thats amazing because i had played when younger but somehow lost.

interest and then started again about the time i bought the sg 3 and started this thread.

I love the p90 sound and martin barre used( jethro tull ) and leslie west and countless others. the p90 just has that certain raw tone to it.

The sg 3 faded was also a amazing bargin when released ( 490 pickups)

And a stripped down version of the sg 3 but those guitars ripped and i have seen them as low as 500 on ebay...great bang around guitar as its faded.

I still regret selling the one i had..

Tom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree I think yes the SG s 3 are the best and here's why.

First of all I like the neck and weight better then the less pauls.

You and I think many will agree that the 57's pick ups are the closest thing to The paf that have ever been created

490 pickups sound a little brittle to my ears where classic 57 has a nice smooth tone but when you push them to the edge you get that slight brown breakup from them.

And of course you have the six different options on a SG three that you don't

get with many other guitars

I have actually thought to put in a stellartone on mine to increase the amount of variations but I do like the way it sounds so I'm not sure if I want to mess with it.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...