Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG 3 and SG custom

tom brown

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Same SG he played on **** Cavett. Safe to say he rocked it a bit. The LP I have seen him with also, thats rare indeed. Here's Mama Rosetta Tharpe a fine SG-3 addition too. [thumbup]

https://youtu.be/SR2gR6SZC2M

Well, actually it's a 61 Les Paul Custom! SG's at that time, were moniker'd "Les Paul" guitars, until about '63,

when they were changed to the SG moniker, due to Les Paul allegedly not approving of the new design. There is some

controversy, about the real reason he wanted his name removed.

But, Sister Rosetta Tharpe's guitar, in that clip, is a "Les Paul Custom," with sideways Vibrola. She played a

Barney Kessel model Gibson, as well.

CB

Well, actually it's a 61 Les Paul Custom! SG's at that time, were moniker'd "Les Paul" guitars, until about '63,

when they were changed to the SG moniker, due to Les Paul allegedly not approving of the new design. There is some

controversy, about the real reason he wanted his name removed.

But, Sister Rosetta Tharpe's guitar, in that clip, is a "Les Paul Custom," with sideways Vibrola. She played a

Barney Kessel model Gibson, as well.

CB

[thumbup] I was watching her with the BK also.

You know whats kinda odd about the whole guitar fascination. I always thought one day I would buy and own a 61 LP Custom RI. Might be a "yet", don't know, but for sure I always liked that piece. After listening to Hendrix rock it I like it even slightly more. [biggrin]

Hello charlie and welcome golden

Charlie your right about the dislike that les paul had for the sg according to what i have read, but gibson did not remove his name until a couple years after also according to different sources.

Black sabbath got me hooked on the sg custom.

Heres a better photo of hendrix with the "les paul"

Cheers !

Tom the Les Paul argument, not very good imho. Just saying, I can't qualify that. Listen if he played a 59 or 58 or 54 55 56 or 57 LP then I think you might have a point that Les for some reason blah, blah, blah the SG. But the truth is he played what a 72 recording? I mean come on how do you qualify all that in relation to the SG?

I like thoses reissues golden, i think the necks are nice and thin compared to my sg 3. They are the best :)

I did read that les paul didnt like the sg because it was to thin. If you google les paul the log you can see why that might make sense. But his name came off the sg after his contract expired, i think.

But yes you right his les paul recording was his favorite but many complained about How to work all the switches on them if they didnt have the manual.

But that was a guitar he said would do it all from rock and roll to smooth jazz studio work, but i never played one.

Go figure lol but those reissues are one of the best guitars made today in my opinion.

Cheers

i think the necks are nice and thin compared to my sg 3.

Ive heard the same, I haven't played one, supposedly a .800-.875 profile which would be similar to the D Trucks model or the 30-60 339, a soft D shape. The pickups are 490s with a 498 I imagine?

Pretty cool SG though.

• 2 weeks later...

Golden i would have to check to see.

I did own a sg 3 faded with the 490 pickups which are ok but can get brittle real easy. I was able to tweak my amp to get it softer but then once i played the sg 3 with the "57" pickups i was hooked !

Regards

• 2 months later...