Gibson Brands Forums

490R & 498T OR BURSTBUCKERS 0RR 57'S PUPS???

kerpalalexander23

i have a 2000 les paul classic and i still have the original ceramics in it. I "unlike alot of other folks" liked those stock pickups. I think its time for a good change and i was wondering if anyone had any input to give??? I was looking into getting another pair of gibson pups and im looking at the 490r/498t, burstbucker pros, and the 57's. Thanks in advance!!!

Whatever is the cheapest pair... Which will likely be the 490R/498T... And buy them used... Buying them brand new is a waste of money...

FOr fun one night at a blues jam I took my (owned at the time) epi les paul and I challenged anyone in the audience to correctly guess what pickups I had in my guitar (for a free round)... I even gave the clue that they were Gibsons... Only one person out of 11 got it correct... and he got lucky...

They were 490R/498T... Everyone guessed mostly 57's or Burstbuckers... My point is you cannot tell the difference with your ears what the pups are... At least not among those 3...

... I challenged anyone in the audience to correctly guess what pickups I had in my guitar (for a free round)... Only one person out of 11 got it correct... They were 490R/498T... Everyone guessed mostly 57's or Burstbuckers...

My point is you cannot tell the difference with your ears what the pups are... At least not among those 3...

Good story. And yeah, without anything to compare 1 pair to, I couldn't identify a pup setup either.

Playing the three side by side I can hear a difference (currently I've got an LP with BBpros, a SG with 490R/498T and I used to use a 57/57+ setup). All three have similar output. To my ears, the 57s have a warmer sound; the 490/8 has a good high end with good distoration; the BBpros have a nice bite and a really clear high end.

If you're looking for a more classic or blues sound with a tad of warmth, the 57s, are great and they're versatile. If you want more of an edge and/or bite the 490/8 is good, but for that kind of sound I would prefer the BBpros.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I had two more comments/questions? First, if i was to get the 57's should i go with the 57/57+ set and if so, which should go in the neck and bridge position. Second, my boss has two les paul supremes and they both have this same unique tone that i love, and i was wondering if thats from the chambered body or from those 490r/498t's or a combination of both??? Thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone! I had two more comments/questions? First' date=' if i was to get the 57's should i go with the 57/57+ set and if so, which should go in the neck and bridge position. Second, my boss has two les paul supremes and they both have this same unique tone that i love, and i was wondering if thats from the chambered body or from those 490r/498t's or a combination of both??? Thanks![/quote']

More likely the guitar/body.. My lp custom has 490r/498t and it is the best sounding guitar I have ever played... seriously... If I swaped out the pups for 57s.... I'll bet it would sound virtually the same...

If you get 57's get 57/57+ just because that is the customary standard.... But if you get two 57s, it wouldn't be a bad thing...

The 490r and 498t get knocked a lot but I think they're great. I absolutely love the tone of the 490r in my SG. I liked the 498t a lot too but I always kinda wanted something a little more old school.

Then our mod Duane V sent me a BB3 (which I still haven't gotten around to paying him back for) and I threw it in my SG. It was just what I needed. It sounds great through my ac30. It sounds awesome in the middle position especially. I love blending the 490r and BB3 together.

The BB3 is just slightly higher output than the 57+. I think it sounds sweet.

... if i was to get the 57's should i go with the 57/57+ set and if so' date=' which should go in the neck and bridge position. ... {tone is} from the chambered body or from those 490r/498t's or a combination of both?[/quote']

57/57+ The plus has a bit more output for the bridge position.

The tone - a combination of the guitar/body/wood and the 490/8.

Ive done some more digging and went over to my local guitar shop to check out what they had. I was able to actually play through a set of 57's and they sound awesome. If I do end up going with the 57's, I would put the classic in the neck and the classic plus in the bridge right???

Ive done some more digging and went over to my local guitar shop to check out what they had. I was able to actually play through a set of 57's and they sound awesome. If I do end up going with the 57's' date=' I would put the classic in the neck and the classic plus in the bridge right??? [/quote']

Yes, typically you put the stronger pickup in the bridge position - in this case the 57 classic plus.

Are you opposed to handwounds? I tried all three BBPRO, 57's, 490/8 in various Les Pauls- After putting a set of Sheptones in my current Les Paul, I paid less than any new Gibson pickups, and I can split the coils. Anyone that has heard this guitar is just amazed with the tone! Real vintage, classic rock roar and clear cleans. With the bridge p/u split you would almost think it's a telecaster.

Just a thought....Don't kill me for going against the Gibson pick up's- I would NEVER get rid of MY Lester!!!! Just wanted that old school sound and found it with these.

Archived