Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice Road Rex, midnight blue rics are beautiful!

Thanks Ramone, the Midnight Blue got my attention over the Jetglo (black). I was ready to do a Jetglo though. They really put some decent Caribbean Rosewood (Chechen) on that Axe. I ordered it sight unseen from Sam Ash. The Midnight Blue in the local store had high school kids written all over it, belt buckle scratches on the back, etc.

Thanks it really is a versatile bass, I have it strung with flats right now for that 60s style thump.

I like using the Nylons for that 60" flat thump also. With the Nylons they last for a long time. Corrosion isn't there, and I've had them strung with no deadening of strings.

Several months ago I came a cross one of these in black. I always used to get the Carvin Catalogs back when these were new (80's) and I always wondered what they were like. I did read whatever I could over the years and finally decided to grab one when it came around. It's all original except for an added thumb rest. Well, other than some honest wear it was in pretty good shape so I threw a set of flats on it the day I got it and went off to a gig that same night. Homerun! It sounded fat and clear and played great. Love it. Build quality is tip top, all maple with set neck/ebony board, Schaller hardware, brass nut and V-T-V-T with coil split on their own humbuckers. Plus it's wired for Stereo if you want it (like a Ric). A lot of bass for the price in any book!

I've been looking for another one since and just grabbed this one. Other than Jazz basses (all different) I don't have 2 of anything so that's got to say something about these! This one looks to be in even better shape and I'm anxious to get it. Maybe one of these will become a candidate for the set of Alumitones I got from Kelvinator - something to think about. And it was $100 cheaper than the other one!!! An absolute bargain since most don't know what they are, and how well made.

I really like the neck profile, it balances great, isn't heavy at all (for all maple) and sounds really darn good. I kinda wish I got one when they were new!

LB40NATFULLINCASE_zpsee224f77.jpg

Maybe one of these will become a candidate for the set of Alumitones I got from Kelvinator - something to think about. And it was $100 cheaper than the other one!!! An absolute bargain since most don't know what they are, and how well made.

I really like the neck profile, it balances great, isn't heavy at all (for all maple) and sounds really darn good. I kinda wish I got one when they were new!

Mean looking bass - kinda Gibsonesque IMHO. You're gonna have to put those Lace pups in something, but the all-maple Carvin might be too bright (It never hurts to experiment though). The Alumitones have sounded great in everything I've used them in. msp_biggrin.gif

1974 Rick 4001 Fireglo. Bought in 1977 in Charlotte, NC at an amazing store called Reliable Music (now long gone, sadly). Frets were worn out (surprising after 3 years). Bought for $300 back then. Had frets redone then & had them done again a couple years ago. This has been my one & only for playing the bottom end. Sounds amazing playing fingers or pick - Rotosound Swingbass roundwound strings.

e129b4ec-0c84-40f4-b44f-c79aa82cf92f.jpg

e4049772-186b-4897-b210-017d2308982f.jpg

I played a Carvin just like that back in the '80's except it was fretless. A friend of mine owned it but let me play it for a while. Played so well! Great craftsmanship & good looks!

Several months ago I came a cross one of these in black. I always used to get the Carvin Catalogs back when these were new (80's) and I always wondered what they were like. I did read whatever I could over the years and finally decided to grab one when it came around. It's all original except for an added thumb rest. Well, other than some honest wear it was in pretty good shape so I threw a set of flats on it the day I got it and went off to a gig that same night. Homerun! It sounded fat and clear and played great. Love it. Build quality is tip top, all maple with set neck/ebony board, Schaller hardware, brass nut and V-T-V-T with coil split on their own humbuckers. Plus it's wired for Stereo if you want it (like a Ric). A lot of bass for the price in any book!

I've been looking for another one since and just grabbed this one. Other than Jazz basses (all different) I don't have 2 of anything so that's got to say something about these! This one looks to be in even better shape and I'm anxious to get it. Maybe one of these will become a candidate for the set of Alumitones I got from Kelvinator - something to think about. And it was $100 cheaper than the other one!!! An absolute bargain since most don't know what they are, and how well made.

Wow! I'm jealous! Great collections of some fine guitars! I would love to have your collection....but then, I couldn't play them...can't play lefty, though I am left handed - go figure! LOL

Here's my lefty Rics.

leftieskeith005.jpg

Curses on you Bassilisk! The more I look at this - the more I want to try one... Those pups really have my curiosity piqued!

Thanks guys. Those pickups actually sound pretty good. I put some Chromes on the black one and it rocks. I got this one Saturday morning, did a quick clean off, threw on some D'Addario 50-105 rounds and took it to a gig that night. It played great and sounded fine. I think I'm going to pull the rounds though, and get some flats on this one as well. I really like the girth and punch it gets with them. I am really enjoying the necks on these too - a very comfortable profile indeed.

One thing I'm going to do to for each is put a Schaller roller bridge on them - I'd like to get the strings just a hair tighter over the pickups.

Anyway, many ideas are upon me including pick up swaps. As good as these sound I'd love to hear the set of chrome TBPlus I have laying around. Or swap in the Schaller HB's I have in the LP and replace them with the Alumitones.

Too many choices.....

I like the little dude, too. something about those faded finishes appeal to me. once again, congrats on a beautiful bass!

Thanks guys. There's something about the faded finishes I like too. I liked the 2011 SG Std. Faded Cherry in my avatar, better than the Sg Std. Heritage Cherry that replaced the Faded. My ears seem to prefer the SG Spl., or Faded finishes to the heavier Heritage Nitro finishes.

I went to my local Sam Ash yesterday, I played a 2013 EB bass and a 2014 faded SG bass in fireburst, the EB bass is marked down to $699 and the SG bass is $749, I almost dipped into my Rickenbacker fund to buy one of them, I really liked the EB, it was light and had good tone but I am jonesing for a Ric, so I must be diligent.

Yeah those Rics don't come cheap. Sam Ash usually sells them for around $1,950. What Ric finish are you liking at this time? My local Sam Ash has a SG Spl. Fireburst in stock also.

Archived