Gibson Brands Forums

Show your basses!

Bassmedic05

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent! Right now, I don't have any projects for any new pups, but you've started the thought process! msp_scared.gif

Good to hear from you - It's been a while!

Thanks Kelv - I do lurk upon occasion. Time has been tight. I cruised through the other day and saw your post, had to pass this along.

How cool to see these available - and for $99!!!! I started thinking too. This would have to be a "from scratch" build and right now things aren't conducive for that.

But - if these are anywhere close to the Bi-Sonics I have in my Hagstrom, it would be worthwhile. They really do sound great!!! Huge tone.

There has been a demand for them since the Darkstars came out from Fred Hammon. They got rave reviews. He finally stopped making them and that left a void for some time.

A few other makers have current versions out as well.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/BS-DS.shtml ($275 per)

http://www.daguetguitars.com/index.php?gratte=62&PHPSESSID=d4540a6dba76158ce267e15bef83cf01 (in France)

Seeing these from Guild is pretty cool since they're putting them in their re-issued M-85's and again, at $99 they're a steal. I may just grab a set and put them in the parts box for a rainy day....

• 3 weeks later...

My only bass right now. It's a 2014 Fender Standard Jazz Bass. Mexican Made. All stock at the moment. The stock pickups sound really good, but I do plan on modding it out eventually. New pickups and been thinking about a new pickguard down the road.

yjDrIn2.jpg

Some nice basses there! Glad to see another Gibson fan here that isn't afraid to MODIFY!!

Well here the EB-11 (Les Paul Junior DC) in action - it is my main bass for the voice & bass duo project. I must be playing "Child In Time"...

DSC_2856.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Are you happy with the mods?

Yes, i am. Mostly - every succesfull mod gives ideas for further improvement. Meanwile i have raised the pickups by 1/2 mm - a lot more powerful. (the third pickup is a bit silent).

BTW: a new baby is born. Small, just 1.5 cm longer than my SG guitar, nevertheless full 30" scale, 20 frets, laminated beech. Body alder. Outer body contour taken from an Epiphone EB-3, but wider cutaways and wider bevels. Tuners: Schaller m4-2000. Bridge Hipshot supertone. Pickups: guitar humbuckers (ceramic magnet, non adjustable steel poles). Electrics: 3-Way (in future 4 way switch, vol, tone). For now. Pickup positions: bridge at 90% (sting ray like), neck same as Epi EB3. The Epi has 22 frets and a sidewinder, so there remains some space between pickup and fingerboard - for the good.

post-26183-065436900 1436915142_thumb.jpg

Sound: really powerful, everything You would expect from an SG bass. The Gibson SG and EB-11basses with the original pickups are toys against that instrument. A bit of tweaking the electronics and this is what any Gibson bass should be. IMHO, of course.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Bought my first & likely only five string a few days ago. The price was right. It'll never be my main bass, but it's fun for a change.

IMG_1965_zpsexp4sub8.jpg

It has major balls! The neck takes some getting use to...........

Bought my first & likely only five string a few days ago. The price was right. It'll never be my main bass, but it's fun for a change.

IMG_1965_zpsexp4sub8.jpg

It has major balls! The neck takes some getting use to...........

Sweet!msp_thumbup.gif

• 1 month later...

Did someone say "Darkstars"?! (well ok, a year ago)

darkstar_1.jpg

Very very cool!! msp_thumbup.gif Nice to see another modded Les Paul. It's great to have a "one of a kind", and have the guts to take a router to a Gibson! msp_sneaky.gif

This is my '01 LP that I modded several years ago. Started out as Honeyburst. Added a neck pickup and a couple Lace Alumitones, and had her refinned to what I call Wineburst. Still my favorite.

2001LesPaulStdBAL-3004_zps531bcd8e.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I added a few more pieces to the pile. A second LM NY 121 to the little rig I bought last year.

LM%20NY212_zpsnxibmezf.jpg

Also, according to FedEx Tracking, this should arrive on Wednesday.

EB%204String%201_zpsjtcxsumx.jpg

I bought the five string version just shy of a year ago, The pickups & bridge are great. It should be an extremely versatile bass. Time will tell...........

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a sharp looking bass. I really like those black strings over the white finish. I have a bass I'm in the process of blacking out and those would be great, what are they if you don't mind me asking.

• 4 weeks later...

The only "Bass" I have, so far, is a Squier Bass VI! Just wanted a short scale bass, to fiddle around on,

and I remember the Fender Bass VI, from the '60's, so I thought I'd give the Squier a go. Nice Bass, IMHO.

This is the actual guitar I got, from Sweetwater.

ICS15281820-body-large_zpszyzpuqjk.jpg

It's very well made, sounds great, very versatile, nice looking (IMHO), and was within my limited budget. [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Archived