Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Hello Torp! I pointed out "for Europeans" in my post, because of the exchange rate and the high shipping costs. Hope, nobody felt like I am discriminating people. :-#

I figured that because you added "mainly" to your post. I'm European myself, but I bet no-one feels discriminated because of your post [wink]

Just saw the pictures of your Athene by the way, beautiful guitar. If there were Goldtops in stock when I ordered mine I would have a really hard time choosing between the Cherry burst and the Goldtop.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again! Thank You! The choice was easy for me: if it's called 50's Tribute, it's got to be a Goldtop! When I made this decision I didn't knew what would be the consequences: 220 days of waiting, couple of impatient mails to the Shop (which I regret now - they were under real pressure because of these instrument - and after all they did their best the get them).

By the way: I am very sceptical whether the other colors were available in the early, P90s-era of LPs ('52-'57). Does anyone has any information about it?

Hello Torp! I just saw Yours! Wonderful! If I could afford another Tribute (have a Studio 60's on order), I would grab a cherry like Yours and convert it to a "Deluxe" with mini-humbuckers and a corresponding TRC. In my opinion that color "begs" for this conversion - it is age-correct for a Deluxe. [woot]

Hello again! Thank You! The choice was easy for me: if it's called 50's Tribute, it's got to be a Goldtop! When I made this decision I didn't knew what would be the consequences: 220 days of waiting, couple of impatient mails to the Shop (which I regret now - they were under real pressure because of these instrument - and after all they did their best the get them).

By the way: I am very sceptical whether the other colors were available in the early, P90s-era of LPs ('52-'57). Does anyone has any information about it?

Ouch, 220 days is quite the wait indeed. I've noticed a lot of retailers were having trouble with the number of orders compared to the amount of guitars they could get. It's also basically the reason why I decided to buy the guitar even though I was planning to wait a few months.

I'm not sure about the colours. I think these colours were indeed used at some part of the 50's, but it seems the guitar resembles the '52 Goldtop the most, so the Goldtop would be indeed the historical accurate colour.

Hello Torp! I just saw Yours! Wonderful! If I could afford another Tribute (have a Studio 60's on order), I would grab a cherry like Yours and convert it to a "Deluxe" with mini-humbuckers and a corresponding TRC. In my opinion that color "begs" for this conversion - it is age-correct for a Deluxe. [woot]

I've been thinking about that as well, but first I'd like to get some practice on this guitar (loving the P90's) and maybe after I learn some guitar skills and songs and get a decent amp I can think about replacing parts on the guitar. Also first I'd have to play a guitar outfitted with mini-humbuckers to compare the sounds. (youtube just isn't the same as real life)

Well yes, converting one only worth if You own two of these beauties! The P90s are brilliant! Despite they are single-coil pickups they sound just as thick as humbuckers. It's fantastic how flexible these pickups are. I thought they would be only good for jazz/blues playing, but they are just as perfect at high gain levels as well.

The minis are great too. Unfortunately Gibson doesn't offer guitars with it (at least not at an affordable price level). Would be great if they did a 70's Tribute series with them!!!

Amps! Tough question. Whatever I did try out from the actual line-up of today's amp builders, just didn't sounded right. Wonder if anyone else feels this way? I don't know why. I can still recall the sound of the old JMP100s - they were awesome, but recently I played thru a DSL series Marshall. It was a huge disappointment. Anyway I am fully satisfied with my old east-german Böhm-Regent tube amps. Completely rebuilt they beat everything that's on the market these days - in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm a bit confused as to why these 50's Tributes are still being shown as models available on this site. I thought the p-90 50's Tributes were limited to 120 each color which is why I own a few of each color. If they are still making them I will be pissed.

Like Maple...harder than Rosewood, different, than Ebony.

Didn't plug one in, in the limited time I had, so I don't

know what the "tone" difference(s) is/are.

CB

It looks like it could pass for rosewood at a glance but when you bring up the large pictures you can see the grain. The only reason I asked is where I live to the shops just carry Gibson Studios and one Standard in Les Paul's. If you want to try any other model beyond that you're looking at a 7 hour drive. [thumbdn]

It looks like it could pass for rosewood at a glance but when you bring up the large pictures you can see the grain. The only reason I asked is where I live to the shops just carry Gibson Studios and one Standard in Les Paul's. If you want to try any other model beyond that you're looking at a 7 hour drive. [thumbdn]

Yeah, I understand. My dealer is a 4 hour drive (2 up, 2 back). 7 hours, especially one way, I'd

never do, probably. LOL

The fingerboards weren't uncomfortable (at least, to me). Just a bit "different!" But, the ones

I saw, were nicely done, decent in color/darkness, and well finished, frets and all. So...???

CB

Yeah, I understand. My dealer is a 4 hour drive (2 up, 2 back). 7 hours, especially one way, I'd

never do, probably. LOL

The fingerboards weren't uncomfortable (at least, to me). Just a bit "different!" But, the ones

I saw, were nicely done, decent in color/darkness, and well finished, frets and all. So...???

CB

Over 665kms one way to the only Long & McQuade on the island... wouldn't be worth it if I didn't have family to visit out there. The local store I go to might stock 5 Gibson's with huge mark ups and I believe half of them are factory seconds. A Gibson Les Paul Standard at the local shop is $3699 and at the Long & McQuade on the other side of the island it's $2599. Not much of an incentive to support the Mom & Pop music stores.

Archived