Gibson Brands Forums

New Plek machine in Memphis plant?

roadhog96

I'll echo that thanks as well: it is great to see Customer Service floating around here from time to time. (Now, if we could just get someone at Gibson to read the thread on making Gibson swag available in more places or even here at the Gibson site. . . .)

Seriously, though, thanks. And for anyone who is able--customer service or otherwise--what is the point of this sudden rage for plekked guitars, and what difference does it make that would be noticed by a rank amateur like me?

Ignatius

Seriously' date=' though, thanks. And for anyone who is able--customer service or otherwise--what is the point of this sudden rage for plekked guitars, and what difference does it make that would be noticed by a rank amateur like me?

Ignatius[/quote']

I'll share my experience and tell you what I have read. I'm on my 3rd Gibson with the 4th ordered and all 3 of them, (2 were from the Custom Shop) had issuses with the nut slots. The strings bind up when tuning and it's almost impossible to get it right. Just when you get close to the correct note it binds and then release and yourv'e over shot the note. Or after you get it in tune and start playing it release from being stuck in the nut and it's now out of tune, either way it is unaceptable this way. I have a Martin acoustic and it was set up perfect from the factory, frets, nut, etc. so I know it can be done right. I have read tons of other complaints over at the Les Paul Sunburst Forum from members with the same problems, so it's not an isolated issue with me. The Plek machine can accurately cut the slots and eliminate this problem. The other issue is Human's cannot duplicate the accuracy and speed of a programed computor, when it comes to leveling frets the computor wins. Again, there should be no more files marks in the fingerboard from Human error. Have you checked your fingerboard with a magnifing glass, you might be supprised one way or the other what you see. Now if we can only get Gibson to do a better job on the neck bindiing. They cap the end of the frets, nice touch but apparently it's another hit or miss with this procedure. They cut down the binding between the frets so that it is level with the fret board. I have had good and bad. One of my guitars from the Custom Shop looked like it had been done with a cheese grader. It had groves cut into the binding. Sometimes they take a little of the fingerboard with the removal of the binding material. I have'nt had too much problem with unlevel frets, only one guitar so far. The Plek can level, dress, and polish the frets much faster and more accurately. You should never have a guitar leaving the factory with a bad fret job again. So I would say you could notice the difference from a Plek job. To bad the Plek couldn't do the binding as well.

Archived