Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of music are we working on ?

Hi, I was wondering what kind of music people in here are working on. I have been studying jazz guitar online thru the Jimmybrunoguitarinstitute, and find it enjoyable.

I'm new to jazz and still love other kinds of music...as long as it has lots of guitar work in it... I have the 150 hot licks that Arlen Roth put out many years ago and just realized , seeing him on here helping folks that I still have it...

Was wondering who else you use to study under ? Have any of you ever used 99cent guitar lessons . com ? They have some nice lessons too.... If any of you have any suggestions, please...Let's hear them.. I'm 62, and really only got serious with guitar about 11 years ago, about a year after I went on disability... Now..I'm totally addicted and continue to need all the help I can get...

Was wondering who else you use to study under ?

You seem to be on the right track. As a jazz guitarist' date=' my two greatest influences are Bucky Pizzerelli and Freddie Green. Both have "instructional" materials available from Mel Bay Music Publishing.

Here's a pic of Bucky sittin' on the couch in my studio, playing my L-5, giving me a lesson!

[img']http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/2947898805_f318125c8f_o.jpg[/img]

• 2 months later...

I quit smoking (after 50 years of puffing)....

so i bought a Epiphone LP Special-II (el cheapo)

used, a VOX 15R Pathfinder amp used and 3 lesson

books... Hal Leonard Guitar Methods books 1,2 & 3.

That was a year ago.... today i am age 65.

I play the blues today... fine blues

matter of fact.

I also upgraded as a anniversary gift to myself

to a Epiphone LUCILLE which is absolutely perfect.

I can not and would not justify spending MORE on

"the other" brand.

If any glue loosens, no problem, i will buy

some Elmer's Glue (Made in the USA) and reglue.

No big deal.

CHEEKS

Morning, I just retired and trying to learn those Jazz books I bought 40 years ago-even teach other old guys-call it "fart to fart"-anyways I recommend the other DVD's in the Hot Lick series-Joe Pass has two and Tal Farrow has one-Joe makes the impossible look like maybe if I practice alot-Tal makes the impossible look impossible but great music-Larry

Hi, I was wondering what kind of music people in here are working on. I have been studying jazz guitar online thru the Jimmybrunoguitarinstitute, and find it enjoyable.

I'm new to jazz and still love other kinds of music...as long as it has lots of guitar work in it... I have the 150 hot licks that Arlen Roth put out many years ago and just realized , seeing him on here helping folks that I still have it...

Was wondering who else you use to study under ? Have any of you ever used 99cent guitar lessons . com ? They have some nice lessons too.... If any of you have any suggestions, please...Let's hear them.. I'm 62, and really only got serious with guitar about 11 years ago, about a year after I went on disability... Now..I'm totally addicted and continue to need all the help I can get...

I grew up on 80's hard rock and metal but will play anything that sounds good like Led Zep,Tool,Van Halen, Maiden, Priest, The Beatles, Clapton, Rush, SRV etc...

Lately I've been getting into more blues stuff and just finished learning Sultans of Swing from Dire Straights. I'm not a big Dire Straights fan but that is a great tune and has some great riffs in it.

I recently learned some Led Zep songs (the ocean, Achilles last stand, and the Rover) Even though I'm a huge EVH fan, the more Zep I learn, the more I appreciate JP's playing. I am currently learning "Since I've been loving you"

I would like to learn more blues stuff like John Lee Hooker, SRV and Muddy Waters.

• 3 years later...

If you want to learn to play Jazz, then I would check out Robert Conti.

I took a few lessons from him years ago when he was just getting started professionally.

I never kept up due to lifestyle changes, the war, etc.....(Vietnam era)

Recently found out that Conti has been playing and teaching for over 40 years now !!!!

He has developed the teaching into quite a large offering.....and dedicated following.

He teaches PLAYING, not all the theory and stuff.....that follows once you can play.

He has a few free lessons online to help you find out where you are.......

See RobertConti.com or some stuff and reviews in Just Jazz Guitar magazine online.

Great stuff and highly recommended way to get you PLAYING. [thumbup]

(also many REAL testimonials there......not some phony comments)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived