Gibson Brands Forums

Differences: Hummingbird - D28

Al Zimmerman

Hello everybody!

I joined this forum some days ago and this is going to be my second post...

I own a Gibson J45 and a Martin D28, both wonderful guitars with a great sound.

I am thinking about buying a Gibson Hummingbird.

I've been searching to find the differences regarding the Martin D28 and the Gibson Hummingbird (not woods and so on, since this is all in the web sites). I am looking more to size and shape (is it really a difference in size or are they very similar?) and sound (I assume that being a larger dreadnought with scalloped braces, it will tend to sound more "like rosewood" (don't misunderstand me, I know, I know..), although the mahogany back and sides? My J45 is not as deep as the D28, tending to sound more trebled, although it sounds great too).

Any comments will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

AL

Having owned both J45 and a Hummingbird (and gigged a borrowed Sheryl Crow) and play in a band with a guy who owns an HD28, I think I can lend a spot of insight.

A Hummingbird is kinda like a halfway point between a J45 and a D28. It has the same short scale as your J45, and the same tonewoods, but, having the body shape of a D28, it is somewhere in the middle with regard to tone. I found my Hummingbird was a little quieter than both my J45 and my bandmate's HD28, but had a bit more kick in the bottom end than a Mahogany J45. It was very well suited to flatpicking, without the heavy thud that the HD28 tends to exhibit in the bass.

The short scale makes the Hummingbird a very playable and comfortable guitar, the neck on mine was a little less deep than that of my J45, and was therefore a more contemporary feeling guitar to play. Mine was a joy to play, one of the easiest playing guitars I've ever owned. The tradeoff with the short scale, though, is that the guitar is prone to slight intonation issues and sensitivity to left hand grip with regard to chordal playing. This is what led me to part with mine, albeit reluctantly. The Hummingbird body shape and tonewoods have a particular mid-range frequency kick when chording which accentuates any tuning issues...to my ears, anyway. I think it's a Mahogany thing.

Having said that, the Sheryl Crow signature dreadnought that I borrowed for a show a couple of weeks back was a fabulous guitar, I definitely preferred it to my former Hummingbird, although that may have been down to that particular guitar being a great example of one, rather than a difference between the models. It is worth noting, though, that the Crow has a much thinner scratchplate than the Hummingbird (which is meaty and almost a jelly-like substance on the MC series. Great for keeping the decor in one piece, but could in theory compromise tone), which I think might help it along. I definitely preferred the old fashioned white-button tuners on the Crow over the Grovers on the MC Hummingbird, too.

One of the main reasons I always lean towards Maple Gibsons is that they don't have that slightly honky midrange frequency which accentuates intonation or tuning issues. In theory, my CJ165 (which is back with Gibson on a warranty issue at present, but is a fabulous instrument), being small bodied and short-scale, should have at least slight intonation/tuning fussiness, but it really doesn't-I've never heard such a consistently in-tune guitar in all my days, all over the neck, however I play it and however much I get overenthusiastic and clutch chords too hard.

I currently have a Dove on order. Great looks, great playability, longer scale (so less scope for intonation bugs) and that buttery Maple tone, plus it isn't a million miles from a Hummingbird in terms of what it looks like.

Dare I say it, you should consider trying out a Dove before you lay your hard cash on the line for a Hummingbird. It would provide some real contrast to your existing guitar arsenal, but would still fall within your comfort zone with regard to body shape.

I would have a spin with a Sheryl Crow signature model too. There are plenty of GREAT Gibson dreads out there, but a lot of people gravitate towards the Hummingbird on the basis of it being such a classic model. if you look beyond the 'Bird, there's plenty of loveliness to be had. Have fun finding your guitar :-)

Being the current owner of an Hummingbird, and a Martin HD-28V, I would have to agree completely with Jinder. Not sure what else I can say about it. They both play and sound wonderful, like a guitar on the high end of the market should sound. The neck on the Martin is a bit thinner and easier (on my hand anyway) to fret. The sound has a bit more "tonality" if you will, and the Gibby is definitely more in your face, as far as mid-range goes. I find the HD-28V is more of a "picker" and the Bird is more of a strummer. But that's just me.

...And welcome to the forum.

Hi Jinder and TheLiveSoundGuy,

Thank you very much for your answers.

I think that sound (between the J45 and the D28) is really what I am looking for, so I'll keep my sight on the Hummingbird...

Unfortunately, one of them will have to part away... :-(

Regards,

AL

I have a 1977 Hummingbird and a 2006 HD-28V. For me, the D28 is a flat picker and the Hummingbird is well suited to strumming - but also very good for finger style, which is amazing for a dread! As a singer, my tastes in guitar have to take volume into account as well as tone, that is why a Hummingbird is a guitar I really enjoy for its subtle presence and clear trebles.

A J-45, for me, is a wonderful and practical daily player with a lot of good qualities that have been well described by others here. A D-28 in any variation is a boomy, bass blasting crusher of a guitar that is ideal for playing leads or recording but a real competitor if you want to sing with it - really way too punchy as a singer/songwriter's guitar - in my opinion.

I like the recommendation someone else gave you of trying a Dove, and I would add to that the idea of trying a Songwriter. The Songwriter my friend owns has a lovely ebony fingerboard which lends itself to smooth notes and incredible sustain - it is a guitar that can do anything and something you can sing with as well.

Your question, to me, essentially asks for a comparison between a D28 and a Hummingbird - if I read it correctly. If that is indeed what you are asking, I would offer this: Body size is about the same between a Hummingbird and a D28. The playability is a matter of taste - myself preferring the Hummingbird neck to that on my HD-28V. I also like the heavy frets on my vintage Hummingbird vs. the lighter wire on a D28. In tonal brilliance and quality, nobody could argue that the Hummingbirds can push past the D28s, but the Hummingbird has a tone I would describe as plush where a D28 is forceful. When I am singing, I prefer plush.

I also believe a Hummingbird is a better built guitar with less potential warranty issues and the Gibson pickups (if you choose to have a factory install) are much nicer than the Martin gear - again, in my opinion.

I have always felt that a person doesn't really know how a guitar sounds until they play it a whole bunch and really attenuate their hands to that individual instrument with the right touch, pick guage and all those other nuances that make a guitar feel like it is yours. Ultimately, the guitar that is best for you is the one you are going to play the most - for me that is actually a Gibson Advanced Jumbo or a Martin OM-21 - two instruments you have not mentioned as being under consideration. I wish you success with your choice.

Wow, great answers from all you!

Thank you, ballcorner and guitarstrummer for your point of views!

It it was hard to decide and it's going to be even harder!!! :-)

The only things I don't like about the Dove is the pickguard and the bridge (I know, it's just a personal preference). Anyway, I think will give it a try...

Curious what a balance the aesthetics/sound makes in terms of choosing a guitar (at least for me, don't know about you...).

Regards,

AL

"the Hummingbird has a tone I would describe as plush where a D28 is forceful. When I am singing, I prefer plush."

Well put. The D28 pops out notes; the "Bird is a chordal sound. Which suits your playing style? D28s are solid for bluegrass, edgey Neil Youngish sounds, & an ok but not great fingerpicker. The 'Bird shines best on rhythm strums and as a vocal pad [lacks top end for finger style; low end for Bluegreass). If it were me, Id keep the combo you have, just because the J45 is a bit more of an all-rounder, suitable for strums and fingerstyle, maybe not as big a woof as the Bird but pretty good. JK

Wow' date=' great answers from all you!

Curious what a balance the aesthetics/sound makes in terms of choosing a guitar (at least for me, don't know about you...).

AL[/quote']

Tone is everything. The best way to buy a guitar is to wear a blindfold and play them as a friend hands them to you. The one you like the sound of and feel of is the one to buy.

Hoo boy,

A friend of mine has a Sheryl Crow. He never even got a setup and it sounds wonderful. It's a fantastic guitar with a very classic, understated look. I believe it's modeled after the Country & Western model.

Crisp tone with chimming highs and a good punch in the low end.

I have an HD-28V and it's a great guitar, though I have some trouble keeping it in tune. My J-45 never ceases to amaze me when it comes to tuning. I just spent a whole week touring the Lone Star State and she was well-behaved the entire time, this despite the h umidity and oppressive heat.

=D>

Hoo boy' date='

I have an HD-28V and it's a great guitar, though I have some trouble keeping it in tune.

=D> [/quote']

Mine stays in tune well enough, but the overtones force me to keep it in perfect pitch - it really sounds bad if it starts to go out - that is for sure.

Do you play mediums or lights?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Magnus. Very interesting comparison. While I have heard better Hummingbirds, it was their lack of punch in the low end that changed my mind and resulted in my Sheryl Crow purchase. Of course, if you were accompanying a singer, the Hummingbird might be a better accompanyment.

Les

Thank you very much for the video, Magnus!

To me both guitars sound great.

The video contributes to reinforce what has been said before: Tte Martin seems louder with the notes standing out individually, while the Hummingbird seems more balanced, more suited for chords and strumming...

Just my impression!

AL

You couldn't really go much wrong with a Sheryl Crow, a Dove or a Hummingbird. My bandmate has recently bought a Custom Shop Dove with Adirondack Spruce top and quilted Maple back and sides, and it's pretty much the best acoustic guitar I've ever picked up. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

I've also recently bought another Hummingbird, which is far superior to my previous one. It's an absolute cracker, and records brilliantly too. It could do with a setup, but only for the sake of tweaking the action down rather than any intonation issues. I'll get that taken care of in time.

I have a Dove on order and will report on that as soon as it arrives, and I'm considering getting my filthy mitts on a Sheryl Crow at some point too. I think I am suffering from some kind of rare Gibson Square Shoulder fever! But then again, I have my sights on an SJ300 and an Emmylou too, so I'm pretty torn. Not that I can afford it at the moment, It'll have to wait a few months...but in time, in time...;-)

Archived