Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups

RB72

Still a little new so bear with me. I have read on here how great p90's are, and how great 57's are(which I have in my Traditional). Now I like a good old fashioned straight through a Marshall, gain all the way up Rock N Roll sound. Which is what I get with my 57+. Which pickups are better? Or is it an ongoing debate like pickup covers? What kind of sound do the p90's get? Did not play one with them when I shopped and bought my Traditional. Hope this isn't rehashing an already old topic for all the longtime members.

So it's just the difference between a single and double? I've always preffered doubles myself but have read many posts and reviews touting the "mean", and "raw" sounds the p90's get. I like those words when associated with a sound. However, "thick" is also a good one. And the 57's are definitely that.

So it's just the difference between a single and double? I've always preffered doubles myself but have read many posts and reviews touting the "mean"' date=' and "raw" sounds the p90's get. I like those words when associated with a sound. However, "thick" is also a good one. And the 57's are definitely that. [/quote']

A P90 is a single coil. Gibson says, and I quote "the lean and mean P-90 offers a stellar combination of high output and biting treble response."

I still prefer buckers, and besides P90's are butt ugly! lol

Biting treble response settles it. My 57's are just too dark and mean. And I agree that the p90's are pretty unsightly. Lol. I like my chrome covered 57's. I won't ask if covers make a difference. Or if it makes a difference if I decided to add a burg since mine is lacking.

I disagree on the P 90's being ugly, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As a teenager, I played my Firebird with 3 P 90's through a Marshall stack (two heads, two cabs) at full volume. It rocked the house (the block for that matter :-k ). I played all sorts of stuff, most of it heavier, from Aerosmith to Cream to The Who to Kiss to Peter Frampton to ZZ Top. Fantastic sound, though not correct for many of those. My number one favorite at the time was Rush, their first album mostly with a few follow ups from Fly By Night as well. Oh, also played some Bob Seger, BTO, REO, Ted Nugent.... as you can probably tell we're talking mid/late 1970's.

For an accurate listen of what the P90 can do in good hands, listen to the Who Live at Leads (SG) or Mountain, Mississippi Queen or anything from that era (Les Paul Jr. around a '57, not sure the exact year, he had several, I think his main guitar may have been a '56). They're an awesome sounding pickup. Not that I'd suggest replacing your 57 Classics (just got some in a Les Paul Classic Antique and love them so far-but I've got my P 90 fix covered now with a Les Paul Jr. Special Robot (exchanging finally on Tuesday) and hopefully the 50's Tribute Les Paul coming in August.

P 90's have approximately 10,000 turns of wire, therefore it's not your strat style single or split humbucker for that matter.

The tone is beefy. But, that being said it is a single and, they hum. Lindy Fralin and others offer P 90's with a reverse wound neck so it cancels with the bridge.

I love P 90's. They are very touch responsive, meaning if you play hard they bite back, if you back off they do too.

However the hum, especially when going through my big rig is significant.

• 4 years later...

Still a little new so bear with me. I have read on here how great p90's are, and how great 57's are(which I have in my Traditional). Now I like a good old fashioned straight through a Marshall, gain all the way up Rock N Roll sound. Which is what I get with my 57+. Which pickups are better? Or is it an ongoing debate like pickup covers? What kind of sound do the p90's get? Did not play one with them when I shopped and bought my Traditional. Hope this isn't rehashing an already old topic for all the longtime members.

G'day Roger,

You ask what kind of sound do the p90's get? Well, the answer to that is quite simple. Listen to Tom Scholz of Boston fame and there you have it. he has a LP Goldtop that he sanded down the finish off the front cap and then installed a DeMarzio DP100 Super Distortion in the bridge. Combined with the P90 in the neck you'll have to admit the sound is just killer. Boston is one of those bands that ruled the day and it's particular sound was atributed in no small part to Tom's Goldtop.I have an unmodified LP Goldtop and put through the right chain and amp it just buzzsaw wails! And that's just two P90 doing the trick. As far as which pup is better? I'll tell you right now, it's whichever gives you the tone and texture you searching for, end of confusion! Hope that helps some. Best.

G'day Roger,

You ask what kind of sound do the p90's get? Well, the answer to that is quite simple. Listen to Tom Scholz of Boston fame and there you have it. he has a LP Goldtop that he sanded down the finish off the front cap and then installed a DeMarzio DP100 Super Distortion in the bridge. Combined with the P90 in the neck you'll have to admit the sound is just killer. Boston is one of those bands that ruled the day and it's particular sound was atributed in no small part to Tom's Goldtop.I have an unmodified LP Goldtop and put through the right chain and amp it just buzzsaw wails! And that's just two P90 doing the trick. As far as which pup is better? I'll tell you right now, it's whichever gives you the tone and texture you searching for, end of confusion! Hope that helps some. Best.

That dude posted that 4 years ago and i don't think he hangs around anymore. [crying]

have to agree with you there...I like the best ones too

It's wise advice an old guitar shop owner gave me when I was just a teenager and it still rings true now. Go with your ear and your heart mate, they won't let you down.

Welcome and best mate.

Archived