Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Doubleneck SG

Gibson CS

Some people have been asking me how much I like my Gibson Doubleneck SG, So I've decided to write a review.

When I first bought it, the thing that caught my eye was the Alpine White finish. I've always liked the White Les Paul Customs, but The white finish on my doubleneck looks even better. However Ive noticed that the finish is very tempermental. Where my leater strap rubs against the body, there is some discoloration. Also the finish dosent react well to constant usage. The laquer that is used to my les paul standard and studio lasted much longer then the laquer on the doubleneck. Perhaps the boys @ the custom shop designed this guitar to look @, or for light playing. Because I play mine alot, and its finish is well worn down. However it is still a looker, Gold hardware (which has tarnished considerably) Gold covered Pups, and tuners. The double inlays on the fretbord are probably the coolest inlays gibson makes, and a multiply pickgaurd makes the guitar look like its dressed up for its highschool prom. With out a doubt, the doubleneck is all about looks.

But it is also a great tone guitar. The guitar is very resonant unplugged, and has alot of sustain when plugged in. Im sure that the fact that it has enough wood for 2 bodies contributes to the sustain, But it should also go to the 490/8 pickup set. While in my les paul studio, I quickly swapped out the 490/8 set for a set of 57 classics, the 490/8 set sounds great in the doubleneck. A perfect combo of sweet tone, and down and nasty distortion. The best part about the stock Pups is how well the capture the sound of the 12 string. I've playedsome RICs and the Fender 12 string strat. Niether can compare tone wise. When the 12 string is played through a crunch channel, it retains its 12 string-e-ness, but sounds more like Jimmy Page's version of The song remains the same, from the movie with the same title. But the 12 string played clean is where the tone really breathes. THE PERFECT SOUND. the bass, the treble, everything about the sound is perfect.

The only faults of the guitar are #1 its weight, and #2 its balence. Now I'm somewhat, how do i say this, kind or a *****.eusa_doh.gif But Even Hulk Hogan would have a tought time playing this guitar. For all of its stregnths, its weight is a problem that can dull its greatness. i would say mine is in the 13-14 pound range.

the second issue I have is the balence of the guitar, the 12 string headstock is too big, and throws the center of balence off. But I found a way to fix the problem by wearing the guitar in a way where the rear guitar strap is pushing the guitar twords me. The same way that Gary Rossington is wearing the strap on his explorer in this video

So in conclusion, this is a guitar where even if you can afford it, you might be better off buying something else. I use it @ church, and on songs where i want that nice 12 string sound, and I use it quite a bit. But for someone else, save your self some money, and more importantly your back. Because for as cool as the guitar is, its not that practial for home, or jam usage.

• 3 weeks later...
Some people have been asking me how much I like my Gibson Doubleneck SG' date=' So I've decided to write a review.

When I first bought it, the thing that caught my eye was the Alpine White finish. I've always liked the White Les Paul Customs, but The white finish on my doubleneck looks even better. However Ive noticed that the finish is very tempermental. Where my leater strap rubs against the body, there is some discoloration. Also the finish dosent react well to constant usage. The laquer that is used to my les paul standard and studio lasted much longer then the laquer on the doubleneck. Perhaps the boys @ the custom shop designed this guitar to look @, or for light playing. Because I play mine alot, and its finish is well worn down. However it is still a looker, Gold hardware (which has tarnished considerably) Gold covered Pups, and tuners. The double inlays on the fretbord are probably the coolest inlays gibson makes, and a multiply pickgaurd makes the guitar look like its dressed up for its highschool prom. With out a doubt, the doubleneck is all about looks.

But it is also a great tone guitar. The guitar is very resonant unplugged, and has alot of sustain when plugged in. Im sure that the fact that it has enough wood for 2 bodies contributes to the sustain, But it should also go to the 490/8 pickup set. While in my les paul studio, I quickly swapped out the 490/8 set for a set of 57 classics, the 490/8 set sounds great in the doubleneck. A perfect combo of sweet tone, and down and nasty distortion. The best part about the stock Pups is how well the capture the sound of the 12 string. I've playedsome RICs and the Fender 12 string strat. Niether can compare tone wise. When the 12 string is played through a crunch channel, it retains its 12 string-e-ness, but sounds more like Jimmy Page's version of The song remains the same, from the movie with the same title. But the 12 string played clean is where the tone really breathes. THE PERFECT SOUND. the bass, the treble, everything about the sound is perfect.

The only faults of the guitar are #1 its weight, and #2 its balence. Now I'm somewhat, how do i say this, kind or a *****.#-o But Even Hulk Hogan would have a tought time playing this guitar. For all of its stregnths, its weight is a problem that can dull its greatness. i would say mine is in the 13-14 pound range.

the second issue I have is the balence of the guitar, the 12 string headstock is too big, and throws the center of balence off. But I found a way to fix the problem by wearing the guitar in a way where the rear guitar strap is pushing the guitar twords me. The same way that Gary Rossington is wearing the strap on his explorer in this video

So in conclusion, this is a guitar where even if you can afford it, you might be better off buying something else. I use it @ church, and on songs where i want that nice 12 string sound, and I use it quite a bit. But for someone else, save your self some money, and more importantly your back. Because for as cool as the guitar is, its not that practial for home, or jam usage. [/quote'] thats not gary rossington its allen collins

• 6 months later...

Archived