Gibson Brands Forums

whats a B-stock

LynyrdSkynyrd-14

There are B-Stock and Blemished guitars. There is something not quite right with the guitar. I believe the B-Stock is a designation from the factory, and the Blem is designated by the store after a return for quality or something they found. In either case, these could be a really good deals because the blemish could be very minor or easily repaired. Probably not something I would want to buy sight unseen on the Internet though.

Before 1985, Gibson sold B-stock guitars at a cheaper price. B-stock means it had a factory flaw, so, they couldn't charge full price for it. Gibson found that dealers were still selling the guitars at full price, so they stopped selling them in '85 because of that reason. Those guitars would have a B or a "Second" stamped into the back of the headstock. Any B-stock before 1985 is also worth less than the same non-B-stock guitar.

Since '85, Gibson just destroys their B-stock. Sure, some slop makes it through their QC, but that happens everywhere. Now, if you see a B-stock or blem, it means that there's something wrong with it, like a scratch or chip or something, that happened after it left the factory.

I've got a B-stock. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar, it's mint! It was displayed at a guitar show and the case has some damage...so, because of that, it couldn't be sold as a "new" guitar and it was labeled as B-stock. The ones you're looking at on-line might have minor scuffs/scratches...nothing major

I know you've seen it...but wanna see it again? O:)

Picture074.jpg

Before 1985' date=' Gibson sold B-stock guitars at a cheaper price. B-stock means it had a factory flaw, so, they couldn't charge full price for it.

Those guitars would have a B or a "Second" stamped into the back of the headstock.

Any B-stock before 1985 is also worth less than the same non-B-stock guitar.[/quote']

I had an LP made in 1986 that had SECOND stamped under the serial number.

It was a black Standard, I never did figure out what the problem was.

Looked and played fine.

I would have more confidence in Gibson calling it a blem than a retailer.

May be an excellent deal, but beware.

I've got a B-stock. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar' date=' it's mint! It was displayed at a guitar show and the case has some damage...so, because of that, it couldn't be sold as a "new" guitar and it was labeled as B-stock. The ones you're looking at on-line might have minor scuffs/scratches...nothing major [/quote']

I'm not disputing what you say, I'm just curious about something. If only a case is blemished, why couldn't they just use another case and still sell the guitar as new? It's not like a case is specifically matched to each guitar, is it?

Why yes, she is on the top shelf...bot only because the brown case looked weird in the middle.

Posting pics is nothing new with me. O:) You should know that by now. I post 'em every chance I get! I need new one 'cause these have been recycled sever times.

Thanks for the compliment! I posted these same pics at LPF as well, one guy thought it was two different guitars. After a minute I thought...he's right,It does look like two guitars...sweet!! Do you agree?

Picture222.jpg

Picture630.jpg

Looks aside, I really couldn't be happier with this thing.

Neo, those were the exact words from Gibson...trust me, I called. Mike Slubowski also said it over at LPF...I don't know the man, but I think he knows his Gibson history!

Saturn, a friend at work has connections and got hooked me up. This thing's never seen the inside of a music store. Well, that's not entirely true, it was shipped to a music store of my choice and I picked it up. I agree on the case, it's not matched to the guitar. But again, it was shown at a guitar show...it's been handled and couldn't be sold as new. Their system can only register new and B-stock. So, by default, it was passed as B-stock.

I dunno Tim....

Not that I doubt you, but it was indeed a 1986.

Not all of them had the word SECOND, some were a little more cryptic with a 2 and such.

Gibson has produced all kinds of oddities though - I have a couple in the next room!

Hey no doubt they do!

Another way to check is your model number. My R9's is LPR9VOWCNH1. If the last number is a 2, it's B-stock, right out of the factory. If it's a 1, it's a regular (I suppose) A guitar.

If you don't believe me, call Gibson and inquire.

Take new pics every now and then and post them' date=' eh?...kind of like my own picture thread O:)

ibis, that's hilarious! Those picks were taken the first day I got it. It's long gone.[/quote']

When my clan & I visited Montreal last year, I was taken to Tim Horton's coffee shops, regularly, by our relatives. We always had to have TimBits with our coffee!

I reckon we should have a TimBits thread here, just for you Tim, and your pics! Perhaps we could have a 'TimBits Piccy Of The Day'! I'll never get tired of looking at that beautiful burst!

Have you gigged your Historic yet? I regularly gig my R7 GT. I feel so 'at home' with it. My other guitars often get overlooked.

Yeah, I've heard they feed them to a band saw. What a job that must be...

Have you gigged your Historic yet? I regularly gig my R7 GT. I feel so 'at home' with it. My other guitars often get overlooked.

I don't gig, man. Was in a couple bands when I was 18-20 and hated it...the guys were just whiners.

Just say the word if you'd like me to show it the ropes!

Never say never. I had a gap of 22 years between bands! Is that a record here?

About the chainsaw massacre. I hope the operators get counselling.

Just say the word if you'd like me to show it the ropes!

Never say never. I had a gap of 22 years between bands! Is that a record here?

About the chainsaw massacre. I hope the operators get counselling.

Naw, they don't need counseling, they're fender guys! :)/

Archived