Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG 1

GlenBenGurian

Hi everyone. New hereabouts. Hope I'm posting this in the right location.

Looking for my first Gibson, actually have my eye on a '62 LG-1 available locally (recently caught Doug Pettibone, Lucinda Williams' sideman, playing an LG-1 and that sealed the deal) but have NO idea what a fair price might be...

I'm seeing them on eBay from anywhere from $650 up. The local vendor is asking $1200.00.

Also open to suggestions on any other models that might capture a similar vibe -- a J-45, maybe. Don't need a huge sound, I'm mostly in the studio if that helps...

Thanks in advance!

G

A J-45 and an LG-1 are completely different guitars once you look lower than the headstock. The sound of the LG guitars is not like any other guitar in Gibson's lineup.

A good condition LG-1 will sell for less than $1000, in most cases. To go past $1000 it would have to be in perfect condition. I'd aim for $700, but you'll probably pay more.

If it's a 1962, you also have to look at the bridge. It was probably plastic from the factory. If it hasn't been changed yet, it should be.

Considering the condition mine was in on the day I bought it, I most likely over paid but the market was better then too. After paying $1100 for mine from a private party (he was asking $1250) I put another $500 into a neck reset and having a K & K Mini western pickup installed in it by a local luthier.

Even saying that I overpaid, I have no regrets. It was all play money to me anyway as all proceeds had come from my prior up-trades on Craigslist over the last few years so I wasn't out any real cash anyway. The main reason I have no regrets though is that my LG 1 is probably my most picked up and played guitar out of the 7 I currently own. It is a fun blues machine that just feels good when your holding it and playing it. The K & K pickup also made it into a beautiful stage guitar as well.

The LG1's Ladder braced tone is not for everyone or every situation. I would not like having the LG1 as my "Only" acoustic for that reason. For blues in particular, it can't be beat in my opinion. But I also need to have a more shimmery tone or one with much more sustain and my Advanced Jumbo and my Taylor 612C fill those needs completely n a very good way.

Don't overlook the LG0 which is a ladder braced full mahogany (the LG1 has a Sitka Top) and is the same size as the LG1. LG2 and LG3 guitars are also great but they are X braced and sound more modern to me which more people like and pay for, but I WANTED the LG1 ladder braced tone and was more than willing and happy to pay for it.

Here is my 1964 LG1. It has a replaced rosewood bridge, bone nut and saddle upgrades as well. I love the Brazillian Rosewood fretboard the the feel of my neck is great. It is the larger one. Sometime after mine was built they started using a very skinny neck that doesn't feel as good to me.

lg1Bench.jpg

Welcome - some good information here. Only thing I would suggest is to buy one made no later than 1959 so you will still get the very nicer Gibson roundback neck. Unless, of course, you prefer slimmer necks. But any Gibson made before 1965 will exhibit the same excellent build quality.

I am not familiar with a change in neck roundness occurring in 1959 - but my '64 LG1 has a great neck. Not full in the sense that it is thick (like a half of a circle), for sure, but somewhat flattened out)like half of an oval) - which is somewhat standard. As has been pointed out, the neck/fretboard is wider than you might expect with a slightly smaller body. It is my understanding that production ramped up in the early 60's so you may have a more difficult time finding one made before 1959, and pay more. I saw a '64 in good shape at Sam Ash here in San Antonio last month and they were expecting $1,250 for it. If you change out the saddle for bone, you'll get the biggest 'twang for the buck' I believe. The bridge is plastic and changing that out would probably be worthwhile. At the same time, you'd want to have a good luthier looking at the bridge plate. Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your LG1. Sounds like you've already zeroed in on their unique sound. Sort of a plunky, funky blues not found anywhere G'luck.

Hey Zombiewoof... I also thought the neck got skinnier in the mid 60's. My 64 has a very nice rounded profile on the back which is more pronounced than on say my Gibson AJ or Taylor neck and the nut is 1 11/16" measured just now with my calipers (just to make sure lol!!!.) I have played a 1 5/8" inch 1966 LG1 that sounded similar but the neck was just a bit too cramped for my hands.

Hey Zombiewoof... I also thought the neck got skinnier in the mid 60's. My 64 has a very nice rounded profile on the back which is more pronounced than on say my Gibson AJ or Taylor neck and the nut is 1 11/16" measured just now with my calipers (just to make sure lol!!!.) I have played a 1 5/8" inch 1966 LG1 that sounded similar but the neck was just a bit too cramped for my hands.

Your '64 should have what Gibson called the slim, fast, low action neck that they introduced in 1960. It was not until 1965, when they installed automatic neck machines, that you got those pencil thin necks.

Your '64 should have what Gibson called the slim' date=' fast, low action neck that they introduced in 1960. It was not until 1965, when they installed automatic neck machines, that you got those pencil thin necks.[/quote']

So there was a thicker neck on the pre 1960 models then? I didn't know that. That is nice to know.

I have no problems with my LG1 neck, but I do like a bit more nut room if given the opportunity.

So there was a thicker neck on the pre 1960 models then? I didn't know that. That is nice to know.

I have no problems with my LG1 neck' date=' but I do like a bit more nut room if given the opportunity.

[/quote']

I don't think the nut width is different - just the neck profile which is not as deep starting in 1960.

Archived