Gibson Brands Forums

50 Year Commemorative Flying V

Superdick2112

I just picked up a Gibson 50 Year Commemorative Flying V from Best Buy, of all places, and it is a superb guitar. I had read one or two unflattering reviews of this V, but mine is a fine example of Gibson craftsmanship - it is very well built, and it plays and sounds great.

My other Gibbies include a Les Paul Axcess, an Alex Lifeson ES-355 and an early '80's Korina Moderne.

The V is the new King - it stays in tune as well as the Axcess (the Steinberger gearless tuners on the V are fantastic!), it plays better than the Moderne, and sounds better than the Lifeson. I love the combination of the '57 Classic in the neck position & the '57 Classic+ in the bridge - this combo works very well in this guitar, especially for the classic rock & metal I use it for, and makes for a nice contrast to the Burstbuckers in the Axcess.

One of my favorite features was the price - Best Buy has 2 stores here in Denver that carry an extensive selection of quality instruments, and apparently they prefer to lower prices on guitars that have been in the store for a while (the 50-yr. V is a 2008 model), making for some good deals to be had.

Best Buy has a good selection, staff that will work with you on pricing (and don't get paid on comission), and the guitars aren't all dinged up by kids who play them with no intention of buying them - kind of like Guitar Center was before they went down the toilet.

Thank You, Gibson - the 50 Year Commemorative Flying V is my new fave!

BTW.....interesting choice for a username.

[blink]

Ah, yes, the username... Well, my name is Richard, but my close friends & bandmates have always called me "****". A few years ago, my guitarist (I'm the bassist in my band) started calling me "Superdick" one night at practice after I had pulled off a couple of particularly difficult Stu Hamm & Geddy Lee basslines. The "2112" at the end is a nod to one of my favorite Rush albums, and my "Homerman" avatar is a modified version of the famous Rush "Starman" icon, but mine has a silhouette of Homer Simpson instead.

So, the short version - my nickname, with a nod to one of my favorite bands & TV shows.

I'll try & post some pix of the V soon - it doesn't have much figuring in the maple top, but there is just enough of a quilt pattern to make the Brimstone finish look like a smoldering fire.

I am very glad yours was a good one. Sadly I got back into guitars after a years-long snooze (hadn't bought one since 1993). I celebrated this revival with the very same guitar. Unfortunately, the revival went off with a sour note.

I bought the guitar from an out of state brick and mortar and had a lengthy discussion with the salesman. He assured me it was not in "floor demo" condition, that it was in gorgeous shape.

0219091156_01.jpg

Unfortunately I got a sinking feeling in my stomach as soon as I pulled the case from the box. It had scratches and gouges in it...

0217091344a_01.jpg

0217091341_01.jpg

Then I opened the guitar case and beheld the axe. It was much to take in, but once I got settled, I started to see the issues...

The guitar had a coating of dust on the face, something much more indicative of a floor demo than a cased guitar safe from the finger smudges of the customers...

0217091603a.jpg

Then I noticed some small dings on the body and some scratches on the back of the guitar and the front where the knobs were. Obviously it was a floor demo...

0217091602.jpg

0219091154b.jpg

Then I saw the real mess. The wing edges had these terrible scuffs to them...

0217091557.jpg

0217091557a.jpg

Although some have claimed they have seen new Gibsons with poor edge treatment everything to this point seemed to be an issue with the store. then I took a look at the face of the headstock...

0217091604.jpg

0217091605a.jpg

The binding was very poorly executed with rough edges and what appeared to be red epoxy or glue smudges throughout the binding under the clearcoat.

The salesman was a complete jerk, but the manager was a stand up guy and made things right. It was a very disappointing experience to have your first guitar buying experience in over 15 years end up like that, but what can you do? :-k

Anyway, the 50th Anniversary is something of an oddball to me. The headstock, logo, pickups and body have a classic retro feel, but it is certainly different than the classics made 50 years ago.

Whether intentional or not, Gibson actually nailed some of the best aspects of the guitar as a player. The '67' reissue is iconic, possibly more recognizable than the venerable '58', but as a player it has the most problems (at least if you nit pick). the 58 style body with the neck thust into the shoulders of the body is a little cruder in appearance and lacks the durability at the neck joint the '67' has, but the sleek '67' joint comes with the price of hindered upper fret access. The '84' flying V may not be a marvel but it has no pickguard to dampen tone like the one on the '58 or the huge one on the '67. Finally, the V2 was an interesting and unsuccessful oddity, but it's sloping shape gave a great access for picking.

The Anniversary has the '58 body for the retro look and ultimate upper fret access, it has the pickguard-free tone and controls of the '84, and it has the smooth slope of th V2s. All with the block inlays and the bound ebony freboard. I hope you put all of those things to good use... sadly it wasn't meant to be with me I guess. #-o

There has been alot of good comments how Virtuoso cleaner and polish has helped maintain the looks of nitro finish instruments. It also has been said it helps restore alot imperfections in the finish. It costs $20 for both the cleaner and polish but that's a small investment to keep our Gibson axes looking sharp. My guitars are not that old to confirm how it helps in the long term. The polish sure gives a glossy shine and fingerprints just wipe off with a soft cotton cloth.

Rewd.

V-man, sorry to hear of your experience with your 50-year V. The reddish material around the binding appears to be rubbing compound - something that could have been addressed, but the poor overall condition (scratches, dust, wing tips marred) in which it arrived is unforgivable, and the main reason I rarely buy guitars on the internet. I'm still loving my 50-Year V, and have begun the search for a 50-Year Commemorative Explorer - unfortunately, it will be a mail order job (if I can even find one - no luck thus far), and there will be some serious emailing & picture examination before any money changes hands...

Rewd, good tips for cleaning there, and I suggest taking it a step further by conditioning your fingerboards with Gibson Fretboard Conditioner or Dr. Stringfellow's Lem Oil at least every 6 months, and waxing your guitars with a high-grade carnauba wax after cleaning & polishing them.

V-man' date=' sorry to hear of your experience with your 50-year V. The reddish material around the binding appears to be rubbing compound - something that could have been addressed, but the poor overall condition (scratches, dust, wing tips marred) in which it arrived is unforgivable, and the main reason I rarely buy guitars on the internet. I'm still loving my 50-Year V, and have begun the search for a 50-Year Commemorative Explorer - unfortunately, it will be a mail order job (if I can even find one - no luck thus far), and there will be some serious emailing & picture examination before any money changes hands...

Rewd, good tips for cleaning there, and I suggest taking it a step further by conditioning your fingerboards with Gibson Fretboard Conditioner or Dr. Stringfellow's Lem Oil at least every 6 months, and waxing your guitars with a high-grade carnauba wax after cleaning & polishing them.[/quote']

I mostly was directing my statemant toward the finish of the guitar body and back of neck. I use lemon oil on my rosewood fingerboards about every 3-4 mos. and lightly on my ebony fingerboards about once a year or so. I do not use carnuba wax at all becuse it builds up on the surface of the guitar and after a long time will become a bear to get off. Anyway the Virtuoso polish puts on a glossy shine that wax cannot even come close to.

Superdick2112 , Sorry to hear and see all the problems you have with your V. I guess the old saying " if it's to good to be true..... ". Most of it seems like cosmetic issues . I'd call Gibson and find out what they would do. In the past they have always done the right thing for me, as to have a happy customer.

the guys at C/S are very helpful. Try the "Virtuoso" it's great stuff and will help.imo. As a 50th. comm. V owner also look out for the 1st."E" string at the nut. I had a small problem there which caused the nut to "slice" off abit. This pic was taken a few days before it happened. I did not see it untill a few weeks after the nut sliced off. I was able to have a tech do warrenty service and file it out and ajust the truss rod but, it's not the same.The nut slot was not cut wide enough. This is not the first guitar form Gibson that this happened to. 1 I was able to catch in time. the other went back to Gibson for repair.

All is good and they did Excellent work , no charge. Thanks Gibson

IMG_1427.jpg

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘10 SG Bass Heritage Cherry

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

Superdick2112 ' date=' Sorry to hear and see all the problems you have with your V. I guess the old saying " if it's to good to be true..... ". Most of it seems like cosmetic issues . I'd call Gibson and find out what they would do. In the past they have always done the right thing for me, as to have a happy customer.

the guys at C/S are very helpful. Try the "Virtuoso" it's great stuff and will help.imo. As a 50th. comm. V owner also look out for the 1st."E" string at the nut. I had a small problem there which caused the nut to "slice" off abit. This pic was taken a few days before it happened. I did not see it untill a few weeks after the nut sliced off. I was able to have a tech do warrenty service and file it out and ajust the truss rod but, it's not the same.The nut slot was not cut wide enough. This is not the first guitar form Gibson that this happened to. 1 I was able to catch in time. the other went back to Gibson for repair.

All is good and they did Excellent work , no charge. Thanks Gibson

[/quote']

Thanks, but its actually V-Man who had issues with his 50-Year V - mine is A-OK, & kicking some serious butt!

Still searching for a 50-Year Commemorative Explorer to round out the collection, so please let me know if any of you happen to come across one for sale.

• 5 years later...

Archived