Gibson Brands Forums

VOS finish

passthej45

It stands for Very Old Sandpaper. It's what they use to make TV's look not their age.

Search the forum & you'll find all different varieties of vos's, & people's take on whether it stands for vintage old stock,

or vintage old specification. Gibson's corporate site doesn't readily cough that info up.

If I remember rightly, the hang tags on the '57 VOS Goldtop Les Paul and the '58 VOS Plaintop Les Paul said vintage original specification.......yep, I think that's right. I don't own either guitar any longer, but I might still have the tags. I'll look around......

... vintage original specification ...

+1

Very true for the guitar's contruction specs or finish. When it come to the finish (and sometimes the hardware)' date=' Gibson sometimes uses VOS to refer to an "aged" look - like [u']V[/u]isually Old Stock (as oposed to NOS - New Old Stock). Not that it's Gibson's official designation. But their VOS finishes are usually old spec and sometimes "aged". Some of their VOS finish LPs and SGs also have "aged" hardware - not really relic'ed or "road worn" - but some tarnish etc.

PasstheJ45...I'm a recent owner of a 2010 J-45 TV VOS so here's some info for you. I stressed on the VOS finish because I'm not a fan of the artifical "make it look old" movement. Matter of fact, I didn't even know the TV was VOS pre-purchase as the Gibson website fails to mention this little detail (at least, I couldn't find it). So I take posession of the J-45 and honestly, I couldn't be happier with its appearance and sound. The binding looks tastefully aged...not bright white. The top has a thinnner gloss...it's still glossy, but not in a thick-gloss kinda way. I can see and barely feel the grain in the wood. It's that thin. It still looks like a new top, but not as in your face. The burst is a "little" darker, but still beautiful and even. I didn't have the finish scuffs or swirls I've heard from others (and seen on-line)....my VOS appears to have been lightly done. The one question I do have (nothing to do with a visual)...did GIbson use hide glue???

Hope this helps!

Mike

According to the website, VOS finishing gives the appearance of a well maintained 40 year old guitar, or something close to that. I like the finish on my R8 Plaintop. However, compared to my 37 year old Custom, it would appear to be a 40 year old guitar that had not been played much.

I was under the impression that all of the TV's were of hot hide glue construction; I mean, that is one of the selling points. Also- there were some changes from 2008 to '09. If you were looking at an '9 or newer, you could be pretty

confident that hhg was used.

Also- don't know if you'd seen the huge thread at the Unoffical Martin Guitar Forum's "Vintage Corner". If that didn't

make you hungry for a taste of hot hide glue, it certainly would whet your appetite: (warning: major sound-hole sniffing going on, i.e, subjective stuff):

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/103798?page=7

Archived