Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird vs. Sheryl Crow?

Greg Ferguson

Greg' date='

this is a bit of a highjack here, but anyway, is that a bottle of Woodford next to your guitar in your avatar? I love woodford![/quote']

Darrell,

Good eye! That's exactly what it is. I'm originally from Kentucky so I think of my '87 as being either Tobacco Burst or Bourbon Burst :-) I thought I would get a pic of it with a bottle of Woodford. And yes, Woodford is a very nice bourbon.

• 6 years later...

My turn to join the revive-old-threads-trend.

I found the Crow to be not as sweet in the highs but projecting a bigger sound.

Actually played those two side to side in a shop recently and had the exact same experience.

The Crow was rawer where the Std. H-bird had more nectar. Only difference should be the thickness of the guards.

Of course it could the nature of those particular 2 models, but the Bird was so much birdier.

Strangely enough not too much talk about the Crows here. They're even flying under the Doves on the publicity-scale.

At the end of the day there will never be a consensus. It comes down to what you like better. I prefer the Sheryl Crow.

I like the Crow - in fact it was my brothers SC which around the millennium turned me on to Gibsons again. After a 20 years hiatus.

A broken in Crow - Wow !

EM7 - can you share a similar video of a Bird with nectar? I want to hear the nuance that you do.

To be honest I'm not sure this will do. The german fellow plays a wonderful Crow and one can almost feel how much this pro guitar sales-guy admires it.

So it may vary from pair to pair, ex to ex, and I'm still insecure about the theory in general. But doesn't this Bird seems a little smoother or nectarish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqZfywLkiVg

Besides there's a clip with our own EA - then again he's half a step down, which usually makes the sugar drip a bit more. .

Yeah, it sounds good, but have to say it illustrates my post above.

More raw and direct, , , not much nectar. Here's another nice test - same thing. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H05Kz-GfKF8

Yeah, fully agree with Em7. The CW has a dryer, more direct tone than the Bird.

Here's I think a good ocmparisement, remember my 69er was a CW before i put a HB pickgutard on it and gave it Tulips.

btw: how do you list vidoes so the frame appears, in that past you just pasted it here ?

I think they are both in standard tuning.

But I think this clip shows the Hummingbird 'nectar' really well, and in this case, yes, it is tuned down half a step.

cheers,

EA

Archived