Gibson Brands Forums

Cheapest recording setup?

blambo1223

I was thinking about getting a Fender GDEC, which records your music that you play through your amp, plus has a lot of different things to tinker with on it.

Its 400$ for a 30W amp...

So I thought why not get a better amp and a cheaper recording setup.

So, looking for a nice Mic to use and some software and anything that makes my recording sound better

If you want to record to a PC, you'll need an interface. A usb interface will work with most PCs. The power of the PC itself will dtermine how involved your projects can get. Personally, I like Rode Mics on the low/mid $$ range. I like recording a live amp as opposed to running direct, but it's a personal thing. I've combined a SM57 and Rode NT1000 on a cab and recorded simultaneously to 2 tracks and combined them in the mix, but I've mostly used a NT1000 by itself. The 57 does add something to it though and I'll use the 2 mic method more in the future. It comes down to the budget and the personally preferred sound. Some interfaces have recording software included. If you'll be recording an amp, I'll say this, the better the amp and the mic sound the better the final mix will be. Read reviews on the interfaces that look interesting to you too because that and the preamp in it will affect the sound too. If you'll only be recording guitar, then you shouldn't need to get too crazy with recording gear, but focus on sound more than inputs unless if you'll need a lot of inputs for drums.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having lots of fun with a BOSS Micro BR, my first ever multitrack digital. How I wish I had one of these thirty years ago!

The only problem I'm having is I'm finding only four tracks limiting. The learning curve for the Micro is steep too because of all the functions requiring menu diving and several controls are multi function. All this is required because of it's small size...you can put in a guitar case along with the AC adapter.

I'm thinking about moving up to a BOSS BR600 which has eight tracks and more analogue controls. But, can I take a song previously recorded on the Micro, put the SD card in the BR600, and add tracks?

Hi

As you've obviously got a PC or a Mac I would recommend getting Reaper as your recorder. It's $60.00 over the web and it's the best $60.00 you'll spend on this type of software. You can download a full copy from here http://www.reaper.fm/index.php and use it for 30 days (after that you should buy it but actually it just keeps working (it's an honour thing but it is only $60.00) For instruments, samplers, FX, amp simulators etc you don't need to BUY anything, you can get loads of VST plugin stuff for free that's just as good as the paid for stuff and in some cases IS a slightly cut down version of the paid for stuff. (If you decide to go this route drop me a PM and I'll give you a list of great free stuff). So your whole studio will cost $60.00 plus whatever you pay for your interface and mic(s).

I can't recommend an audio interface as I use an M-Audio 24/96 PCI soundcard which works great with a small mixer that I already owned. For a mic a Shure SM57 or SM58 is a good all rounder or you can get some good capacitor mics now from as little as $75.00

Hope that helps

jg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BentonC

Jonnyg- nice suggestion with Reaper. Great fully featured DAW for a fraction of what you'd be spending on anything else. I think if they get enough attention, they may end up spurring some change in the home recording world. Healthy competition always leads to great things.

How do you like the M-Audio interface? Do the pre's sound good?

Archived