Gibson Brands Forums

How to keep Signatures on Guitar?

Twilight Zodiac

I recently got my Left Handed Gibson Les Paul 57 Goldtop Reissue signed by all the members of Dream Theater. I want to make sure that the signatures don't get damaged or anything or come off. They signed with a black sharpie. I don't really want to play the guitar if the signatures on going to get wiped off before i can get something to keep them on.

I was considering this stuff called Guitar Armor, but I need something ASAP.

Anyone have any ideas or experience regarding this?

Any help would be great.

If you're desperate you could just get a can of clear coat and spray the top down. I mean, that's kind of considering you don't care about your finish that much or how the guitar looks...but I don't imagine that's a factor since it's now covered with John Petrucci's name.

Maybe if there's clear adhesive tape over the signatures it can then be clear coated

and the ink won't run ?

Maybe test on a cheaper guitar. Some music shop sell parts, maybe you can test on

something inexpensive. Possibly a broken body, or one without a neck.

I've heard silver pen that gets clear coat shot on them have a tendancy to run and

potentially ruin the signature.

Just don't touch it 'til you have a solution.

If you're desperate you could just get a can of clear coat and spray the top down. I mean' date=' that's kind of considering you don't care about your finish that much or how the guitar looks...but I don't imagine that's a factor since it's now covered with John Petrucci's name.[/quote']

i was gonna say the same but thought he might take it the wrong way... also when did they start using gibson les pauls?

(yes i dont care about dream or petrucci... so sue me already and lets be over with it)

The only signature i want on my les paul, is les pauls signature...

Talk to a pro.

I'm afraid spraying a clear on it will wet the ink and make it blur before drying.

Of course, I don't know WHAT you can spray over nitro that will seal it up.

A nitro clear is something I've never messed with.

I dunno.

Call Gibson Customer Service, see if they can help.

1-800-444-2766

i was gonna say the same but thought he might take it the wrong way... also when did they start using gibson les pauls?

(yes i dont care about dream or petrucci... so sue me already and lets be over with it)

The only signature i want on my les paul' date=' is les pauls signature...[/quote']

That's probably why people hate me, I just let 'er rip.

i had victor wooten and reggie wooten sign my lp! vic doesn't even play guitar and reggie plays a squire! haha

a guy told me after i get it signed to used like clear spray paint to seal it. I'd do that but i don't think its gonna rub off any time soon.

I've got a signed guitar and I just lacquered over the signature that worked extremely well. No ink run and impossible to rub off. However, personally I get the signatures taken off as you don't want to ruin such a beautiful guitar. It will also seriously decrease its long term value. I don't mean to be offensive, i'm just speaking my mind.

I've never had anyone put a signature on anything other than a pick guard so can't help you here. the pick-guard you just clear coat and move on. If someone signed my gold-top i'd be freaked out and buffing it.

I have a cheap acoustic signed by eight or nine bands at a big Country Thunder shoe the top has thirty or so names on it and they did a clear coat of the top with no issues so that might work.

A few light dustings of nitro will do the trick, and it wont make the ink run if you do it slowly. Let it dry for a couple of weeks then lightly rub down with 800 grit then 1200 grit (wet) and t cut.

+1 for retrosurfer1959

+1 for AXE

-1 to dream theater damaging a nice guitar

-1000 to you for letting them

lol

it could be worse, the guitar could have been signed by steve vai

Didn't they do some Les Pauls that Les signed himself?

Then they added some extra finish to keep it on?

As for my thoughts on the signature, unless it was Les Paul, Slash, Jimmy Page and MAYBE Izzy Stradlin.

Anyone else I would kill if they touched my guitar.

• 9 years later...

I recently got my Left Handed Gibson Les Paul 57 Goldtop Reissue signed by all the members of Dream Theater. I want to make sure that the signatures don't get damaged or anything or come off. They signed with a black sharpie. I don't really want to play the guitar if the signatures on going to get wiped off before i can get something to keep them on.

I was considering this stuff called Guitar Armor, but I need something ASAP.

Anyone have any ideas or experience regarding this?

Any help would be great.

I do know you better be careful and make sure you talk to a professional about it. I covered a signature I got from Mr Eddie van halen on my guitar when I was 19 with a laminate I bought at Walmart or target the same night, thinking I was protecting it, and instead the glue from the laminate ate the signature within 5-8 years and I finally sent it to his publicist last week hoping for a re-sign because it just pisses me off to even have it in my house at this point. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Don't make the same mistake I did and DO YOUR HOMEWORK or take it to a professional!

Archived