Joan Jett (White "Runaways" era) Melody Maker

charlie brown

Well, since "who knows when," we'll get our '50's Tribute LP Studios,

My "GAS," for a Joan Jet Melody Maker, has re-surfaced. I know that

Duane has one, and am wondering what he, or anyone else who owns

one, and/or are very familiar with them, think. I've always liked that

version, with the double cut-away, and upper fret access. Price seems

"reasonable," too.

Any thoughts, comments, constructive critiques?

CB

Sorry, to hear that, G....That's always frustrating! I hope you did get (All) your money back, at the very least?

Did you go on, to get the JJ MM, from another source, or store? My problem is, that I live 100 miles, from the

closest guitar shop(s), and even when I'm there...they don't always have, the particular guitars I'm interested

in, at the time. So...I try to get a much "input/feedback," as I can...from here, and other sources, as well.

Well, hopefully, someone will be able to give some good information, and impressions, on that model.

Cheers,

CB

Well' date=' since "who knows when," we'll get our '50's Tribute LP Studios,

My "GAS," for a Joan Jet Melody Maker, has re-surfaced. I know that

Duane has one, and am wondering what he, or anyone else who owns

one, and/or are very familiar with them, think. I've always liked that

version, with the double cut-away, and upper fret access. Price seems

"reasonable," too.

Any thoughts, comments, constructive critiques?

CB[/quote']

Joan's original Melody Maker was a 60's model that originally was Pelham Blue. It used to belong to Eric Carmen who had it painted white. He had 2 of them the other one was painted black. He had humbuckers installed and and new pickguards made for them

melody_maker.jpg

From The Joan Jett message board:

Joan has at least two white Gibson's. The one on the cover of Album has been retired from touring and is usually only brought out for recording and photo shoots. It is a 1968 Gibson Melody maker previously own by Eric Carmen.

Quote:What is your most prized possession? Tie: 1968 White Gibson California Style Melody Maker and 1968 Blond (natural) single cut Les Paul Deluxe (my 1st real guitar!).

Quote:5: What kind of guitar do you use?

Jett: My first guitar was a blonde Les Paul and it was getting really heavy, so I saw the Melody Maker. It was Eric Carmen's. I bought it off one of his roadies. It's a really unique guitar, a California style, so its got two pick-ups, which Melody Makers usually don't.

She uses a second white Gibson on the road for concerts and it is covered in stickers. I don't know the history of that one.

Quote:AT: Are you still playing a white Melody Maker?

Jett: Yeah I am. I play a white double cut-away Melody Maker, covered in stickers.

Quote:Q: What year and model is your white Gibson guitar?

A: My #1 (which never goes on the road anymore) is my baby. It's a double-cut 1968 California style. It was white when I bought it. My #1 on the road, is just your standard double-cut melody maker. Don't know the style or year, but I figure it's late 60s and we painted it white.

Here are some interviews to read that mention her guitars.

http://joanjettbadrep.com/cgi-bin/fullStory.cgi?archive=200401&story=20040131-01JoanInterview.htm

http://joanjettbadrep.com/Interviews/1999/micromag8.shtml

http://joanjettbadrep.com/Interviews/fanclub/Vol3Issue1.shtml

ziMh7yRXtnflrk8425vOwHB1o1_500.jpgjoanjett-9.jpg

It is really hard to figure out the true origin of this guitar.Even interviews given by both Eric Carmen and Joan Jett don't add up .She said bought the guitar from one of The Raspberries roadies? He said he gave her the guitar? She said it was a 1968 but all the 1968 Melody Makers I have seen have a SG shaped body. I just read another book which says that Eric had the guitar painted white many years ago. But I read other interviews with both Eric and Joan in which they refer to this as a White California Style Melody Maker,like it was a special model. I cannot find any other reference to a "California" Melody Maker in Gibson literature or elsewhere.So,The search for the "truth" goes on.

Jett_Rocks.jpgjoan-melody-maker.jpg

Hey, Thanks, Truetone. Appreciate the info, interview links, and photos. I really loved

"The Runaways," back in the day, and Joan & The Blackhearts, too...of course.

Really enjoyed the recent "The Runaways" movie, as well.

(Dakota singing "Cherry Bomb!")

Kristen, Dakota, and Michael Shannon, were all amazing! It just rekindled my appreciation, for their music,

and reminded me, of some great times, when I first moved to So Cal (1977), to go to Photo School. So,

when Gibson introduced the Joan Jett Melody Maker, I knew that (someday) I had to get one, if at all possible.

Cheers,

CB

Hey' date=' Thanks, Truetone. Appreciate the info, interview links, and photos. I really loved

"The Runaways," back in the day, and Joan & The Blackhearts, too...of course.

Really enjoyed the recent "The Runaways" movie, as well.

(Dakota singing "Cherry Bomb!")

Kristen, Dakota, and Michael Shannon, were all amazing! It just rekindled my appreciation, for their music,

and reminded me, of some great times, when I first moved to So Cal (1977), to go to Photo School. So,

when Gibson introduced the Joan Jett Melody Maker, I knew that (someday) I had to get one, if at all possible.

Cheers,

CB[/quote']

Cool, I met Steven T of "Venus And The Razorblades" once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_and_the_Razorblades

kimandcher.jpg

Yeah, nothing wrong with a Les Paul Jr.! I've just had an interest, in the JJ MM, for some time now.

I noticed, that white "Runaways" era doesn't seem to be in stock, in any of the (online) retailers,

anymore. Just the "Blackhearts" version. Did Gibson discontinue the "Runaways" version???

CB

There were only 400 Runaways models' date=' I believe.

It was supposed to be a 2007 Guitar of the Week, but was delayed.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm having E.M. Shorts "look around," to see if they can find me one...

while I wait on my "Gold Top," '50's Tribute. So many guitars, so little time/money!

LOL

CB

CB

The ebony fretboard on my JJ MM is one of the best I have ever played on. Certainly I have modded the crap out of mine, but it is one great feeling guitar.... For $600 it will be hard pressed to find a new guitar that can match it.

Though I wasn't big on the pup it came with, most will like the tone.

P3010134b.jpg?1281298493

P3010131b.jpg?1281298446

CB

The ebony fretboard on my JJ MM is one of the best I have ever played on. Certainly I have modded the crap out of mine' date=' but it is one great feeling guitar.... For $600 it will be hard pressed to find a new guitar that can match it.

Though I wasn't big on the pup it came with, most will like the tone.

[img']http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss17/duanevalle/P3010134b.jpg?1281298493[/img]

P3010131b.jpg?1281298446

Well, there you are, my friend! How was the trip?!

I knew you had modded it, a lot...but, was curious about your overall opinion,

on the feel and build. And...you just answered that! Thanks! Welcome back!

CB

I bought the JJ on ebay this weekend. Can't wait to get it home to play. Any advise on removing autographs?

I bought a JJ Black Heart a month ago and the seller turned out to be a scammer. Got all my money back but wanted the guitar.

I bought the JJ on ebay this weekend. Can't wait to get it home to play. Any advise on removing autographs?

I bought a JJ Black Heart a month ago and the seller turned out to be a scammer. Got all my money back but wanted the guitar.

So...YOU are the one, that got that guitar?! LOL! Good for you! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

CB

Archived