Gibson Brands Forums

500T vs. JB

glygon

Own a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic, which is lovely. The stock 500T and 490R seem a bit harsh for me though . . . I'm considering a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge, Seymour Duncan Jazz for the neck.

Anybody try this combo out?

Thanks.

Of soul, spirit and song,

Gregory Lygon

http://www.gregorylygon.com

AAA/Contemporary Folk Singer Songwriter

Nominated "Best Instrumentalist" Contemporary Folk by WAMA, 2003

You're joking, right? That's only THE most common Duncan combo for Les Pauls!

(And let's see - you're going to plug it into a Marshall too, aren't you?)

All kidding aside, yes, that's a tried and true combo. However, only YOUR ears will tell you if it's right for you.

Don't be silly. Marshall? Of course not. Heavens.

A Boogie. Now that's COMPLETELY different *LOL*

But seriously folks. I think this will work well for me. Maybe I'll have a pair of ceramic pickups to pawn off too.

I'm not wild about the Jazz (prefer the 59) but the JB is a perfect match for a Les Paul.

I hear where you're coming from with the harshness comment. I installed a 500T in one of my Les Pauls once and it only lasted a couple of weeks before I replaced it.

My Classic's still on its original pickups' date=' which will be swapped out sometime soon once I've finalised the choice. Gibson '57 Classics combo, Bare Knuckle Mules, or SD Pearly Gates/'59s. The 500T isn't a bad pickup, but it's just a bit much for the kind of stuff I play.[/quote']

FWIW, I replaced the pups in my 2007 Classic with the Pearly Gates and love 'em. They have a nice little mid boost over a typical PAF. I considered the '59s because I used them in a Tokai Love Rock and liked them, but I am glad I chose the Pearlys. Like you, I didn't hate the stock 490/500 pups but they were just a bit hot. Sure could squeal those pinch harmonics though! So +1 on the Pearlys!

Archived