Gibson Brands Forums

The first Gibson J-185

thefirstj-185

I read in a book that "All things are possible". I have the first Gibson J-185 and the second one too (1951). Is there anyone with the third? Plus does anybody know why the first IS the rarest and the classic of ALL Gibson guitars? Brother Dave Berryman doesn't even know. When I pass I will let the world know that. I know you cannot answer this question but it is fun to see your answers anyway. Further, I am the first to tell “The Gibson Company” about the J-185 and they made a reissue from my specimen but they built it as shown in their reissues. They have everything correct except for one small detail. Don't try to answer this question because you will never get it right. Friends call David Berryman "Dave". He prefers it. The only thing I will tell you is, I own the one that was given to a four year old boy in Memphis at Dewey Philips’s home by Elvis Presley the evening of September 8th 1956. I know the answers to the next three questions. Anyone know where Mr. Philips lived in Memphis in the 50s’? Did Elvis visit his home on September 8th 1956? Where was Elvis September 9th 1956? Hint: not in Memphis. One more thing before I go. Elvis played a Gibson J-185 when he was 21 years of age. Elvis was given the guitar from Johnny Cash that lived just around the corner from Dewey Philips. Rock-n-Roll

Know one earth can answer ANY of these questions? O well this thread won't last for lack of knowledge of the most rarest gibson guitar the (j-185). A Japanese collector would pay anything for this guitar. Just try to find one just like it; (GOOD LUCK)! I have been offered many farms for this guitar. Kind of gives you the idea how much CASH we're talking about. Gruhn offer $250,000 for it in 1990. Come on boys, what makes this the classic of all Gibson guitars?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI thefirstj185. Can't answer any of your questions, but would love to see some photos and get some details on the two you have. Like, how do you know for sure these are the 1st and 2nd ones? What kind of condition are they in? What's the story behind your acquiring them? How long have you had them?

Details and photos please. Best,

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

HI thefirstj185. Can't answer any of your questions, but would love to see some photos and get some details on the two you have. Like, how do you know for sure these are the 1st and 2nd ones? What kind of condition are they in? What's the story behind your acquiring them? How long have you had them?

Dennis

53 years. Again read my first post and it will answer ALL your other questions. Further, this website suppose to know everything on the Gibson J-185, that is based on the world's Gibson experts? Surely they can tell or add to what reason the very first year the Gibson J-185 is concidered the "Classic of ALL Gibsons". Again this is all you shall get from me for now until the world's guitar EXPERTS adds why. No one on earth knows but I, the reason. It is fun to see your answers though. When you know which is highly unlikely, you will have contributed to the world a fine bit of knowledge. Hint; "You can get as much "Gold" for this guitar than any other ever built".

Wish we had one of those smiley things that say "this thread is worthless without pictures". 'cause that about sums it up.

Are you telling the group you do not know what the Gibson J-185 looks like? You can ask around and someone bound to have a hot off the press condition Gibson J-185 (1951) brochure somewheres. No one has told the reason why the first year's production are the classic of ALL gibson guitars yet. Maybe the world needs another 48 hours? Gibson themselves do not know the answer to this question. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger. You keep trying. Call Gibson and ask them why; in Rock-n-Rock capital (Memphis Tennessee!) Also the home of the "Blues". Good luck!

Are you telling the group you do not know what the Gibson J-185 looks like? You can ask around and someone bound to have a hot off the press condition Gibson J-185 (1951) brochure somewheres. No one has told the reason why the first year's production are the classic of ALL gibson guitars yet. Maybe the world needs another 48 hours? Gibson themselves do not know the answer to this question. So don't feel like the Lone Ranger. You keep trying. Call Gibson and ask them why; in Rock-n-Rock capital (Memphis Tennessee!) Also the home of the "Blues". Good luck!

No, I'm not telling the "group" I don't know what a J185 looks like. (You might have noticed I have one in my avatar) I'm saying here's mine, let's see yours. Until you put up some pics, it's just a lot of goofy jaw jackin'.

1-1.jpg

Here is the 1951 J-185 I refer to in my earlier post. I own this guitar and it is sitting in the same room as I am typing this reply.

You say it is not number 3. Based on what? You own number 1 and 2 based on what?

The first reproductions of the J-185 in Montana were not true to the original. I know the answer to that. Do you?

Many in the guitar community believe the original J-185 to be one of the finest guitars Gibson built. I agree with this assessment. I own many classic vintage Gibson acoustic guitars and have a strong interest, like many others, in Gibson history. If you have some information on the origin of the model please let us know, but your mysterious nature isn't really telling anyone anything.

You can go to my webpage and see pictures of other Gibson guitars that I own. Just click on the photo button.

Terry

DAVES%20J-185%20152r.jpg

DAVES%20J-185%20158r.jpg

Here is the 1951 J-185 I refer to in my earlier post. I own this guitar and it is sitting in the same room as I am typing this reply.

You say it is not number 3. Based on what? You own number 1 and 2 based on what?

The first reproductions of the J-185 in Montana were not true to the original. I know the answer to that. Do you?

Many in the guitar community believe the original J-185 to be one of the finest guitars Gibson built. I agree with this assessment. I own many classic vintage Gibson acoustic guitars and have a strong interest, like many others, in Gibson history. If you have some information on the origin of the model please let us know, but your mysterious nature isn't really telling anyone anything.

You can go to my webpage and see pictures of other Gibson guitars that I own. Just click on the photo button.

Terry

DAVES%20J-185%20152r.jpg

DAVES%20J-185%20158r.jpg

Oh man, that is a beauty! Just gorgeous!

Nice J-185. The pickguard looks weird, has it changed with age, or was it always like that?

Nice J-185. The pickguard looks weird, has it changed with age, or was it always like that?

Yes that is the original color. This distinctive color shows up on the 51 and some of the 52 J-185. You will also see this on the other flat tops from the same years. I looked for this color guard when I bought the guitar and that told me it was indeed a 1951. It does have a serial number that confirms that year. That picture is very good reproduction of the true color. I like the look others may not.

Terry

Yes that is the original color. This distinctive color shows up on the 51 and some of the 52 J-185. You will also see this on the other flat tops from the same years. I looked for this color guard when I bought the guitar and that told me it was indeed a 1951. It does have a serial number that confirms that year. That picture is very good reproduction of the true color. I like the look others may not.

Terry

Do you have a close up of the pickguard we can see please?

To demonstrate this color guard is original I am posting two J-185 that are were for sale. The first one as advertised as a 1951 the second as a 1952, both have the same color guard as mine. I'm sure I have pictures of J-45s dated 1952 with this guard. I have pictures of other years 53 etc. but the color changed to the more common reddish color. All the 51s J-185s I have seen have this guard, but not all 52s. It reminds me of a color found on older Martin flat tops. You are the first person to have commented on the color. Terry

1951J186_PGandBridge.jpg

Photo2_ff909-Original%281%29.jpg

Paper Label? How many Gibson flat-tops in the '50s had paper labels?

The J-200 and J-185 have a paper label. The natural topped Southern Jumbo, Country and Western, received a paper label with the rope border sometime around 1956.

The J-200 and J-185 also have serial numbers. There were no serial numbers on the C&W.

The label changed to orange, but I don't recall what year in the 50s.

Terry

Gorgeous guitar, Terry. Thanks for posting those pics.

BTW, I'm confident that your J-185 is the prototype, making it earlier, rarer, and far more valuable than that first production model mentioned in the original post. ;)

BTW, I'm confident that your J-185 is the prototype, making it earlier, rarer, and far more valuable than that first production model mentioned in the original post.

No John, mine is only number three. Like others here I am waiting to see numbers 1 and 2.

Terry

Thanks for the close ups of the pickguard. It is unusual. It looks like a great guitar. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I really like J-185's they are a much more comfortable size for me to play compared with a J-200. I can't understand why they have never been more popular.

Thanks for the close ups of the pickguard. It is unusual. It looks like a great guitar. I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I really like J-185's they are a much more comfortable size for me to play compared with a J-200. I can't understand why they have never been more popular.

You are welcome. If you start looking at early 50s flat tops you will start to see this unusual color of guard. It does sound as good as it looks. The vintage J-185 is a fabled guitar in Gibson history and this one lives up to the reputation.

I also own a blonde 1997 J 185. It was made in a batch for singer Jackson Brown, though not taken by him on the road. This was when the J-185 was not a production guitar. It is a find sounding guitar, though not quite the open warm tone of the 1951.

In the 50s it was hard to compete price wise with the J-200. Buyers either went up in price or down to the J-50, J-45, so buyers overlooked the J-185.

It is a very comfortable guitar to play.

Terry

Dennis

Here is back of first (1951)

post-16941-006233800 1284168979_thumb.jpg

Archived