Gibson Brands Forums

Demand for used Alex Lifeson ES-355s

turkeyT

Just thought other AL ES-355 owners would be interested in this.

A friend has a picture of my 355 on his flickr and someone contacted him about buying it. My friend forwarded the email to me and I responded that mine wasn't for sale, but that I knew a local shop still had one and he should try there.

The guy wrote back sometime later, thrilled that he'd been able to find a brand-new 355 for retail. Turns out he'd been prepared to pay MANY times the original price. He hadn't gotten a single nibble for ANYONE he contacted before he found me.

So there are still people out there HUNGRY for this guitar and the ones that do have one AREN'T selling.

Any other AL ES-355 owners have people approach them interested in buying?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not me, turkeyT, but of course, I have no interest in selling either, nor would I ever even consider it. It's absolutely a beautiful Guitar and it plays like a dream.

Don't know if you've seen them yet, but Alex's 355 (couldn't tell if it was the original or not) is very prominently displayed on the "Time Machine" tour. They were outstanding and Alex was as good as I've ever seen him!!!!

Just thought other AL ES-355 owners would be interested in this.

A friend has a picture of my 355 on his flickr and someone contacted him about buying it.

So there are still people out there HUNGRY for this guitar and the ones that do have one AREN'T selling.

As demonstrated by the lack of these models showing up on the 'Bay. When they first came out' date=' I recall seeing 5-6 for sale on eBay, and then nothing. Given the popularity of this guitar and of Lifeson in general, I'm suprised that Gibson hasn't done a 2nd signature model yet, like an EDS-1275, ES-335 or one of his many Les Paul variants.

While the misplaced voulte on my AL-355 does not hinder my enjoyment of the guitar, the fact that it made it into production with this obvious mistake [u']does[/u] bother me (as does Gibson's refusal to address or even acknowledge the issue), and I think the whole stink raised on this forum when we were seeking answers as to why it happened in the first place may be one reason why we haven't seen a 2nd Lifeson model yet.

No offers on mine yet, but like so many other owners, mine is not for sale. Lately I've been steering away from signature models in general (with Les Pauls being the exception), but if I ever found a 335, 345 or 355 that played & sounded better than my AL, I would consider parting with it, only because while my AL sounds and plays like a dream, the bugger refuses to stay in tune. With 30 years of playing and guitar set-up experience, I know a thing or two about solving issues like this, but nothing I've tried will keep this guitar in tune for more than a few songs. I'm reasonably sure a Schaller roller bridge would cure the tuning issues, and if I can ever bring myself to modify a Gibson, I may give it a try - I'll play Dr. Frankenstein all day with a cheap import , but I don't mess around with my Gibsons or my other high-end guitars.

We discussed the Volute issue ad nauseum and it is/was troubling that Gibson didn't acknowledge it. Instead, they used the fact that Alex had approved the prototype as the justification. That said, like you, it doesn't hinder my enjoyment, or love for the Guitar. I did however, have had other issues with mine (staying in tune not being one of them) that were just as troubling for me. The etching on the Tailpiece was incomplete and the Vibrato arm didn't fit properly. It was a bit of a struggle to get those resolved, but ultimately they were. I do agree with you though Superdick2112. The fact that something like that could leave the "Custom Shop" is more than a bit disconcerting, especially since I'm contemplating purchasing the Peter Frampton Les Paul.

AL 028, I've played 3 different Framptons, and each one felt good, looked good and played flawlessly - they are great Les Pauls.

My Les Paul Axcess (still played every day) and Custom Shop Les Paul Standard in Brunswick Blue sparkle (long gone) are also great guitars, and I still believe that 95% of the work coming out of the Custom Shop is fantastic - but that other 5% can be worrysome...

BTW, good to hear that the Rush Time Machine tour is kicking some butt - I've got tix to see them in a few days at Red Rocks!

Schaller won't work - wrong post size. But this one helps dramatically.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Locking_Roller_Bridge.html

Though I love mine too, since I believe there are better guitars to be had for the money, I may consider parting with mine if there's an appreciable price point. The 1 of 300 part has value. Beyond that, there are better guitars and even better 355s to be had.

Thanks for the feedback on the Frampton Superdick2112!!!! The only slight reservation I have re the purchase is the Binding. On his original LP, the Binding was White (like the '57s, although his was a '54). On his "Signature" model, it's more of an Antique/Cream color, similar to the '54s and my '72. I'd like for there to be a distinction in that respect and since, I would suspect, there's a contractual agreement in place, I don't think I could even order one that way?

I can see why you play your Axcess everyday, I'd love to have one, or a Neal Schon model!!!! Alex used his a few times when I saw them. In the first six songs, he changed Guitars five times (one being his Axcess)!!!! Three LPs and two Paul Reed Smith's.

I know you will, but enjoy the boys (let me know what you think too)!!!!

Thanks,

Thanks for the feedback on the Frampton Superdick2112!!!! The only slight reservation I have re the purchase is the Binding. On his original LP, the Binding was White (like the '57s, although his was a '54). On his "Signature" model, it's more of an Antique/Cream color, similar to the '54s and my '72. I'd like for there to be a distinction in that respect and since, I would suspect, there's a contractual agreement in place, I don't think I could even order one that way?

I can see why you play your Axcess everyday, I'd love to have one, or a Neal Schon model!!!! Alex used his a few times when I saw them. In the first six songs, he changed Guitars five times (one being his Axcess)!!!! Three LPs and two Paul Reed Smith's.

I know you will, but enjoy the boys (let me know what you think too)!!!!

Thanks,

Al 028, you are correct - the CS won't take orders for modded Artist models, but you could spec. a LP Custom to your liking, with most of the key features of a Frampton, which in my mind would be even cooler - your own Signature Model!

Saw Rush at Red Rocks last night, and they were awesome, as usual. Unbelievable stage show, and Peart's "Time Machine" kit is the most incredible drum set I have ever seen...

• 2 weeks later...

Speak of the Devil... There is one on the 'Bay right now for sale, priced at $3,900 - no bites thus far...

On the subject of Lifeson guitars, I'm thinking about getting an SG Standard w/ Maestro & gloss cherry finish (as played on the Vapour Trails tour) - does anybody know if Gibby is still making these?

Speak of the Devil... There is one on the 'Bay right now for sale, priced at $3,900 - no bites thus far...

On the subject of Lifeson guitars, I'm thinking about getting an SG Standard w/ Maestro & gloss cherry finish (as played on the Vapour Trails tour) - does anybody know if Gibby is still making these?

There was another AL355 on ebay about 4-6 mos. ago it might be the same one. The best offer I got for mine was 2k in trade, so I just kept it.

The closest gibson dealer to me is about 2 1/2 hours away, one has an sg standard w/maestro in gloss white, and it is one of a few "players"

/cheers

AL 028, thanks for the links. This is the one I was thinking of, but with a MSRP of over 4k, its a bit more than I planned on shelling out for an SG, especially having to special order one without feeling the neck first. Check the far right paragraph on this page - it says it is available in VOS or glossy finishes. I just may go for it, because I'm betting if Gibson does make a Lifeson Axcess, it would cost even more, and I already have an Axcess which I love & would not sell.

Its official - I have SG fever, and I have it bad. I think there's only one cure...

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/SG-Standard-Reissue-VOS/Features.aspx

You're welcome Superdick2112.

That was a nice write-up about it and I can see why you've got the fever, that's quite the Guitar!!!! Wouldn't mind purchasing one myself.

It Looks like they're going for just over $3K in faded Cherry, which to me is the color to get. I like the White too, but I think I'd prefer a Custom in White if I were to choose that color. In any case, Gibson provided a lot of options and I like the Burstbuckers that come in it.

No doubt the Lifeson Axcess will be more, certainly more than the ES-355. My guess is that it would go somewhere in the same neighborhood as the Frampton. Since you already have an Axcess, might as well just pick-up the SG.

I read ya about the neck, but I'm sure you'd get used to it the more you play it. Maybe you can find an SG, or even an LP locally that has a similar style neck and try it out?

Good luck and let me know if you decide to take the plunge!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

There were two AL's on the 'Bay in the last couple of weeks. One, in Florida, sold at the "buy it now" price of $3,850. The other one, in San Diego, was auction only with a starting bid of $3,900 (the one mentioned above). The auction completed a few days prior to the Florida guitar being listed with no bids. However, I have it on 'pretty good authority' that it sold later outside of eBay... and that it's now hanging on my wall. :) I love it, and the volute doesn't matter to me at all.

SolitaryPine,

Congrats, and welcome to the club! I'm glad to hear your trip paid off, and even more happy to hear that you love your new AL. We'll have to get together one of these weekends and test-drive them side by side. I spent the last 2 days playing my Axcess, and I came to the conclusion that I won't be buying the new Lifeson Signature Axcess when it comes out - I love my Axcess Standard too much to part with it, and I still have a bad case of SG fever that I need to address...

Talk to you soon,

Rich.

Rich,

Thanks. I look forward to meeting you as well.

Yeah, it would be hard to justify trading in a perfectly good guitar, especially one you have come to love, for nearly the same thing just because it has Alex's name on it and maybe a piezo pickup! But, since I don't own an Axcess yet I'm going to wait for it (especially since I just forked over for the AL 355). Then I'll probably trade in my Studio to help fund it.

It would be nice if Gibson would acknowledge that the AL Axcess is coming, and maybe tell us some more about it, now that the artist has spilled the beans in an interview.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Yet another one has hit the 'Bay, with a price over $4.5k! If it actually sells for that, I'll be surprised, and it would make me really think about what it would take for me to sell mine. I know I wouldn't part with it for less than $5k, and only then if I was really in dire need of cash...

I would have loved to have owned one of These Alex Lifeson 355's!! Long ago I purchased a 1275 double neck, a ES 347 and a Howard Roberts Fusion just to have Alex's 'sound'. I just found out about these ES 355's and I missed out ( I couldn't afford the hefty price tag anyways) Maybe They'll have Epiphone version of this I could afford.

• 4 months later...

Lifeson 355 #064 currently for sale on eBay. 1 bid so far, current price $4,000.

Take a close look at that neck pickup and the pickguard. The pickup is not centered and the pickguard has been modified to

fit the out of center pickup. There are a few Al's out there that are like that. There is one being repaired I ran across

the other day with the same problem, among plenty of other issues. Not sure why anyone would not notice that, less bid on it?

I am happy for all the ones who love their Al-355s , I am not one as some may know.

With all the poor manufacturing of my Al-355 that still sits in my closet, I am sure glad that is one

less problem I have with it. After seeing posts about the new lifeson axcess with the peizo bleed, I am sure glad in '08 I have stuck to my rule,

never buy another gibson. I have had some great guitars purchased since then, and have not once been stuck with a guitar

that I like better out of sight, thus out of mind. Still as white as the day I bought it. Well I do need to look at it once in a while

just to shake my head.

/cheers

Take a close look at that neck pickup and the pickguard. The pickup is not centered and the pickguard has been modified to

fit the out of center pickup. There are a few Al's out there that are like that. There is one being repaired I ran across

the other day with the same problem, among plenty of other issues. Not sure why anyone would not notice that, less bid on it?

I am happy for all the ones who love their Al-355s , I am not one as some may know.

With all the poor manufacturing of my Al-355 that still sits in my closet, I am sure glad that is one

less problem I have with it. After seeing posts about the new lifeson axcess with the peizo bleed, I am sure glad in '08 I have stuck to my rule,

never buy another gibson. I have had some great guitars purchased since then, and have not once been stuck with a guitar

that I like better out of sight, thus out of mind. Still as white as the day I bought it. Well I do need to look at it once in a while

just to shake my head.

/cheers

You must have a good monitor & a great pair of eyes - I went to 200% zoom & still couldn't see the issue you described.

Very sorry to hear you are not playing your AL. I don't play mine as much as I used to, mainly because I'm reaching for

my Axcess Standard more & more. BTW, LOVE your Ric 4080 - please pm me if you ever decide to sell her, as I've been looking

for one for quite some time now.

Drawing these kinds of prices, I am considering parting with mine. Sadly, after locking tuners and a roller bridge and completely reworking the wiring to get rid of noise [no shielding or even twisted pair on the pup wires] and replacing a bridge pup that died, it actually plays quite good now and I can even lightly use the tremolo without going out of tune.

Going back to the stock bridge is just a drop/swap. I actually mounted the locking tuners with the 1-3 in the 4-6 positions and vice versa to keep from drilling holes so I can put the stock tuners back in though I don't know why anyone wouldn't want lockers on a trem guitar. The tuners were the first thing I changed because of all the tuning problems.

Hmmh. With all the changes I am liking and playing the guitar regularly but there are SO many guitars I want if these are bringing over $4K regularly. Only paid $3400 for mine [only] at an employee friend's discount price.

Decisions decisions.

Lerxt, you're back!!! How ya been?

Still boggles my mind that some of you have NEVER had tuning issues with yours . . . With an extremely large tail to bridge angle from a frankly poorly designed tremolo to begin with, Maestro doesn't trem all the strings equally and frankly places a weird torque vector in relation to the bridge, and without lockers I don't see how you cannot have tuning problems with it? And, yes I use nut lube, religiously.

Archived