Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone "Inspired by" 1964 Texan ( pro pics, and review)

epietheridge1

I get what you are saying dude haha. I think they may have got the wrong impression of the post. I do not believe you are banging the guitar itself.

Me thinks ya'll doth protest too much and are missing the point. It ain't got nuttin' to do with the guitar. I just find the "Inspired By" thing funny. The Texan moniker is there to conjure up an image of some storied guitar from out of the past while the "IB" thing is saying, well that is not exactly the guitar you are buying. I ain't slamming the guitar but I am having a chuckle at the marketing.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great man. I will be posting my video today with a Neumann mic'ing it it up. Also, you are playing a "real" 65 probably made in 1965..giving it a lot of age to develop its potential. ;)

For E-minor7

Here is a real 65 Texan which is currently available on U.S. ebay. As you can probably tell it doesn`t sound like an IB64.

Like my friends 67 it is very alive with a great zingy bass, and it also has what I describe as trashy/crashy trebles(In a good way), my IB on the other hand has a good bass although not as zingy, but the trebles are nothing like a 60`s Texan. Why the difference? Well firstly the woods involved are not the same quality as those used by Gibson Kalamazoo, but cheaper alternatives. The finish is poly and thicker. The top bracing pattern is different(X brace is set a bit further back on the IB`s), which results in the IB`s bridge sitting further back too, although the scale length is the same. But another factor has to be the ADJ bridge with ceramic saddle used on the originals (62-69), I think that is the main contributor to the trashy/crashy treble tone the originals have.

I know my IB will never be the same as a proper 60`s version, but the tone has changed somewhat over the 10 months I`ve had it, it`s lost a lot of the tightness it had, and gained a bit more brightness. I hope this continues, as it`s a fine guitar, but it`s not a Texan!

Steve.

This is mainly a "live" playing instrument in which to get the J-45 sound i can always set my Fishman Aura pedal to Neumann recorded J-45. ...

I think you misunderstand the Aura. Basically, it transforms the signal from the pickup into what the signal would have been if the guitar had been mic'd. Models roughly correspond to settings on a Mama Bear. It's not a modeler that makes some random guitar sound like a J-45.

There's no reason why playing your Epi through an Aura using a J-45 image should sound anything like a J-45. The J-45 image makes a J-45 sound like a mic'd J-45, and will make the Epi sound more-or-less like a mic'd Epi (although using a Epi image would make it sound even more like a mic'd Epi.) But if you're happy with the results, that's great!

-- Bob R

I have not purchased this pedal yet because i can not get a hold of the database list of guitar models they have mic'ed. Its does say they model Epiphone acoustics but not if its the Texan. I would imagine this could only be the Masterbilts or Texans but i could be wrong though.

I think you misunderstand the Aura. Basically, it transforms the signal from the pickup into what the signal would have been if the guitar had been mic'd. Models roughly correspond to settings on a Mama Bear. It's not a modeler that makes some random guitar sound like a J-45.

There's no reason why playing your Epi through an Aura using a J-45 image should sound anything like a J-45. The J-45 image makes a J-45 sound like a mic'd J-45, and will make the Epi sound more-or-less like a mic'd Epi (although using a Epi image would make it sound even more like a mic'd Epi.) But if you're happy with the results, that's great!

-- Bob R

Frenchie-Your guitar sounds awesome.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

For E-minor7

Here is a real 65 Texan which is currently available on U.S. ebay. As you can probably tell it doesn`t sound like an IB64.

Like my friends 67 it is very alive with a great zingy bass, and it also has what I describe as trashy/crashy trebles(In a good way), my IB on the other hand has a good bass although not as zingy, but the trebles are nothing like a 60`s Texan. Why the difference? Well firstly the woods involved are not the same quality as those used by Gibson Kalamazoo, but cheaper alternatives. The finish is poly and thicker. The top bracing pattern is different(X brace is set a bit further back on the IB`s), which results in the IB`s bridge sitting further back too, although the scale length is the same. But another factor has to be the ADJ bridge with ceramic saddle used on the originals (62-69), I think that is the main contributor to the trashy/crashy treble tone the originals have.

I know my IB will never be the same as a proper 60`s version, but the tone has changed somewhat over the 10 months I`ve had it, it`s lost a lot of the tightness it had, and gained a bit more brightness. I hope this continues, as it`s a fine guitar, but it`s not a Texan!

Steve.

... i can not get a hold of the database list of guitar models they have mic'ed. Its does say they model Epiphone acoustics but not if its the Texan.

Just the AJ500 and EF500RA so far.

-- Bob R

I bought an IB64 last spring, kept it around for a week but it sounded so bad I just couldn't keep it. It was well built, looked great and played great. But it sounded like garbage can lids no matter what I did. I bought a Blueridge BG-40 slope and it beat the tar out of the Epi in the most important area-sound. Thats not to say other people's dont sound fine, but mine didnt.

I finally got to play through a Fishman Aura tonight. I must say, its what i said it does earlier. Fishman is a way off base of the Mama Bear. Mama Bear still uses digital technology and after playing with it, i could hear its digital flake. My ears are very sensitive to it because i mix in a studio. I do not know how they do it but it amazing with that Fishman. I have to admit setting the blend all the way up, it sounds as if it where in total differ room so its more attended for the studio use. I will for start using this in the studio now. ;)

-- Bob R

Lucky mine was not a lemon ha

I bought an IB64 last spring, kept it around for a week but it sounded so bad I just couldn't keep it. It was well built, looked great and played great. But it sounded like garbage can lids no matter what I did. I bought a Blueridge BG-40 slope and it beat the tar out of the Epi in the most important area-sound. Thats not to say other people's dont sound fine, but mine didnt.

• 5 years later...

Hi! I just received my epi ib 64 and i detected these points:

1. The buttons on the bridge are not equal, one of them is different from the rest. I do not understand how can this be possible.

2. Epiphone logo sticker has been dropped without touching it.

3. Looking inside the soundhole I can see daylight in two points.

4. worst thing of all are two cracks, one larger than the other, on the sides, both above and below.

Did you have had any of these problems?

Kind Regards

post-74109-089217500 1471383886_thumb.jpeg

post-74109-036870400 1471383907_thumb.jpeg

post-74109-006145500 1471383932_thumb.jpeg

post-74109-037238000 1471383947_thumb.jpeg

post-74109-094325400 1471383969_thumb.jpeg

post-74109-021620300 1471383989_thumb.jpeg

Really? A six year old thread?

From your description it sounds like you bought a used guitar that has a few issues........yes?

1. Buy a new set of pins.

2. Glue it back on.

3. Play it in the dark.

4. Take it to a luthier and get it fixed.

No problem. If you bought it new and aren't happy with it, send it back for a replacement.

I can see elyito seaching for IB Texan 64 stuff on these pages and finding this one, then posting the Q's here rather than launching a new thread.

All okay, , , besides I like vintage threads to be revived once in a while. Brings up good (and bad) memories from oldies, some lost members and even one self.

Anyway - McMaster has it right = Bring it back if it's new, , , or at least ask for an explanation. Those holes can be filled glue or are they too big.

Strange phenomenon. Have you tried posting this in the Epiphone Department further down the Board Delta. Might find expertize there.

It looks like the OP wandered away not too long after sharing his photo spread! I didn't initially pick up on a marketing vibe/spam from the post, but I did LOL upon looking at the parking lot shots.

My two favorite kind of musician photos are those on an empty city street at night and those taken in the middle of nature, both while wearing their guitars. Aim high and ridiculous!

Compañero, devuelvela. Y permite este comentario...Es lo q pasa por comprar por Internet algo tan personal. Compra en las tiendas españolas!!!!!

Estimado compañero, si tuviese la oportunidad de comprarla en una tienda de mi ciudad, no dude que lo haría. Como no se da el caso, tengo que recurrir a este tipo de compras...Saludos!

Archived