Gibson Brands Forums

2002 Gibson Les Paul Special Faded Ebony

krick

Can someone tell me more about his guitar? (pictures below)

My friend believes it was called a "Gibson Les Paul Special Faded Ebony" because of the factory "worn spots" in the finish.

My friend says... "From the serial number, I can tell that it was made on the 149th day of 2002 (May 29th) and

was the #428th guitar made that day. I bought it early August 2002 from Sam Ash." And that it is... "essentially a Gibson Les Paul Special SL with Humbuckers but with a faded finish".

Is my friend correct with the model name?

What years did they make this guitar?

Is it discontinued?

How common it it?

What kind of hardware does it have?

How does it compare to other models released around the same time (including the "SL with Humbuckers")?

Anything else of interest that I should know about this guitar?

gibson_les_paul_special_faded_1.jpg

gibson_les_paul_special_faded_2.jpg

gibson_les_paul_special_faded_3.jpg

• 1 year later...

I see this post is over a year old , with no responses, so I hope you are still around...

It is a Les Paul Special, Faded, and since it is a 2002 version, I have the same guitar for several years now. They are all mahogany, body and neck. They use standard Les Paul chrome plated hardware with the same humbuckers as the Gibson Les Paul Supreme or the SG Standard*. Fingerboard is rosewood,22 frets, neck is a 60's slim profile and IMO, comfortable and very fast. The regular Les Paul Specials are nicely finished, the Faded's had the finish yours has from the factory, and were lower priced but very high quality guitars. They were available in Faded Black (Ebony), Faded Cherry, and Faded TV Yellow. FWIW, I stripped the black finish off mine and finished the sealed wood with oil.

They are no longer made, which to me is a real shame. I see them for sale occasionally for $600-$700 or so-I don't know hopw many were made, but people tend to keep them...

*Pups are: Neck-490R Alnico Bridge-498T Alnico

I have owned several old Les Paul Customs and I really like the way my Special plays even better than the Customs...and the Special is a really versatile guitar-it can sound jazzy, or blue, or just be a screamer.

I love mine, and I hope you are happy with this one.

The Les Paul Special began in 1955 and have always been very good players guitars.

mark

*ADDED; This contains a very professional review of the pickups on your Special:

http://www.epinions.com/review/Gibson_Accessories_498T_Hot_Alnico_5_Humbucker_Bridge/content_420543630980

Archived