Gibson Brands Forums

Limited Edition Les Paul Standard Plus VS Les Paul Standard Plus Top

ONyX711

Hi guys/gals, Im new here and Im looking at getting new electric. Time to upgrade. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to these 2

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Electric Guitar

and

Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Standard Plus Electric Guitar(Transparent Black*)

any thoughts on which is a better buy, I love the LE trans black with the black hardware. The thing is its cheaper than the regular STD plus. Why? The only visable diff is the humbuckers. Does anyone know if there actually different or just dont have the covers? I dont want to pick one up and regrete not spending the extra 25.00 for a better LP. Does anyone know of the differences between these 2? Any info or recomendations will be welcome. Thanks

I think its almost all cosmetic.

If possible you should try both and see which feels better to you,that is if you can audition them in person.

The guys on here would tell you to try as many as possible because some are just better than others, same model,made the same place ,on the same day.

Me,I think the trans black one is purty!But in the same breath I'd tell you that an old beat up guitar that plays and sounds good will beat the prettiest ,dreamiest,shiny guitar that doesn't any day!

So I'd want to be able to pick mine out in person.

Here's a funny thing with musiciansfriend.com that I just took advantage of. The LP Standard Plus Top is listed at $549. See here.

Now, if you buy the Les Paul Standard Value Pack, that includes a bunch of other mostly useless stuff, you get the exact same guitar (plus said useless stuff) for $499. Fifty bucks less, plus the extras in the value pack. See here.

I was confused by that at first. But no, the guitar in the value pack, and the guitar I received from FedEx today was indeed the same Les Paul Standard Plus Top they advertise for $50 more on its own.

So what I am basically saying is that price is not really a difference in this case. You can get any of the other finishes at the same $499 if you buy the value pack. I'm planning on selling the amp pack (which retails for $149 on its own) and dropping my final cost of the guitar even further.

The differences between pretty much all the Epi Korean/Chinese Les Pauls are cosmetic [except some customs have a maple neck].

The real differences are down to sample variation and to the particular stocks of timber which happened to be used in that production. Folks willing to try as many guiatrs as possible, and who haven't narrowed their choice of finish too much, will find the best guitars.

Thanks for the replys, I also saw that package deal with the amp. The only thing I saw that was different was the package is STD and the one seprate is a STD plus top. Is there a major difference between them. Or is it just cosmetics like the rest?

Thanks for the replys' date=' I also saw that package deal with the amp. The only thing I saw that was different was the package is STD and the one seprate is a STD plus top. Is there a major difference between them. Or is it just cosmetics like the rest?[/quote']

The package is Standard Plus Top as well. It doesn't say it specifically in the description, but when you add it to your cart you'll see that it is a LP Standard Plus. I just took advantage of this this week. Have a look at the breakdown of the Kit items:

grab.jpg

Archived