Gibson Brands Forums

7 String tunings

Amino Moore

There loads to choose from. Open G tuning with an additional low G is an option as is open A [same sequence but up a tone ] . Those tunings will allow some seriously heavy "detuned "riffage ! ;^)

It actually quite funny to think that we might want seven strings ...tuned to only three different notes between them !

I suppose there are two completely different rationales behind seven string guitars.

You either want seven strings to extend the melodic and and harmonic possibilities of your playing...or you want to make a lot of heavy noise !

There loads to choose from. Open G tuning with an additional low G is an option as is open A [same sequence but up a tone ] . Those tunings will allow some seriously heavy "detuned "riffage ! ;^)

Ah yes! Brings me back to an old vinyl recording of jazz guitarist George Van Eps and his modified Epiphone

Deluxe 7 string guitar. I think there are still a few books around on some of his tunes that he

made famous in the 50s. If you are just playing your basic Barre chords, then it shouldn't be too much to

get the additional bass note on the low B, but if you are planning to do some harmonic accompaniment,

then one would need to get his books to figure out his style.

Open string tuning B E A D G B E(high)

That extra "pedal bass" note (B1 = 61.7hz open) can be

quite effective though. Finding 7 string sets is harder though.

More on 7 string tunings...personally, I like Lenny Breau's 7 string..he used his

custom tuning, (perfect 5th interval) of EADGBEA...the A is seven semi tones above

the high E and is a perfect 5th, similar to the other string tunings except for the "B"

which is a perfect 4th from the "G".

I much prefer his seven string style because unlike like George Van Eps "low bass"

string that you don't spend that much time playing on due to the low register, the "A' tuned 7th string (thin E string)

gives you very rich harmonic arpeggios and some nice triads moving up the higher registers,

plus the chance to do some nice melodic runs on the first 3 strings BEA.

If Epiphone was to make a Elitist DELUXE, seven string, that is the tuning I would be

using..

Here are some more seven string tunings..

7 String Rock: BEADGBE

7 String Jazz: AEADGBE

7 String Breau: EADGBEA

I favor "lute" tuning, B-E-A-D-F#-B-E, because I first got into baritone tunings, and then switched to a full 7 string. The cool thing about this tuning is that the bottom 6 are set up in the same intervals as standard, but you also have a hight E. When you do barre chords on the 'standard' low 6, the high E string adds some different color to the chords.

Its not too different, but it shifts my focus more to the lower strings than if I just slapped on a low B.

Archived