Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Sheraton vs Alleykat

MI_Canuck

I have an Epi Goth G-400 (SG). Thinking of adding a semi-hollow. Really tempted by the Sheraton II. But the Alleykat also caught my eye. Smaller body, although that's not really a big deal. I can go either way.

What are the major differences in tones? Since I really dig the sound of bands like Silversun Pickups, which the singer/lead guitarist uses a Sheraton. How does the Alleykat compare?

Also - which factory seems to produce the best of each? U (Unsung), S (Sammick??), etc. ????

cheers

I have an Epi Goth G-400 (SG). Thinking of adding a semi-hollow. Really tempted by the Sheraton II. But the Alleykat also caught my eye. Smaller body' date=' although that's not really a big deal. I can go either way.

What are the major differences in tones? Since I really dig the sound of bands like Silversun Pickups, which the singer/lead guitarist uses a Sheraton. How does the Alleykat compare?

Also - which factory seems to produce the best of each? U (Unsung), S (Sammick??), etc. ????

cheers

[/quote']

I've had Wildkats & Flamekats, but never had an Alleykat. Based on my experiences, I would go with the Sherry. The best ones IMO are the original Samicks, late '80s early '90s.

My brother had a Wildcat & ended up sending it back. It was decent but, to us, lacked the versatility he desired. The Sheraton is a great guitar. I was in a GC awhile back & played about 30 different guitars including some 5K Gibbys, PRS, and Gretsch and left the place believing the Sheraton I played there to be the best guitar in the place. Loved that thin neck and it was overall a very comfortable guitar.

When my finances get back on track I'm gonna be seriously looking at the elitist Sheraton.

Go for the Sherri - The later model from 2000 on are the best, much better pickups than the ones pre 99. Serial number beginning with I (korean made) are fine. Yes I know "I" can mean China made as well, but I am pretty sure all Sheraton IIs with I are made in Korea.

Go for the Sherri - The later model from 2000 on are the best' date=' much better pickups than the ones pre 99. Serial number beginning with I (korean made) are fine. Yes I know "I" can mean China made as well, but I am pretty sure all Sheraton IIs with I are made in Korea.[/quote']

All the ones I have seen are Korean made, but I disagree. I recently bought 3 Sheraton IIs. 2 were Samick made from the mid '90s, and 1 from 2005 Made by SaeIn (with the "I"). No doubt it was a beautiful guitar, but I personally feel the pickups on the Samick made Sheratons are better. No way would I even think about replacing them. However, the pickups are very different on each of my Samicks, and this is perhaps what fuels the perception that the newer pups are better. They are simply more consistent. My SaeIn had great clean sounds, but it didn't have the "oomph" of the Samicks.

I sold the SaeIn Sheraton, still have the other 2. For sure, I will never part with one of them, which surprisingly has a thicker neck than most others (based on what people report). The other one is here for now, but could become victim to my fickle tastes.

The pickups are different in the later models, but you should also know that the bridges and tuners also changed at some point.

The SaeIn came with Grover tuners and a more "standard" bridge size, like on other TOM models (like Les Pauls, etc). The Samick Sheratons I own have an older bridge that is set on differently spaced mounting posts. It may not matter to you, but it means if you wanted to replace the bridge or upgrade it to a Graphtech (an idea I had), you will need to do a little more work because it isn't the straight retro-fit that the later models have. I replaced the Samick tuners with Grovers.

I have an Alleykat, and would go with that. If you are looking for a hollow body go for a Gretsch 5120. The Alleykat is f**king cool. Although I would say I have upgraded the pups in mine. The stock ones were so so. The Alleykat is like a semi-hollow Les Paul or the Gibson 339. Well made guitar with a great feel.

Archived