Gibson Brands Forums

Necks

Don Vallery

Hey Don, I'm sorry, when I looked at your post I saw a blank space. That's the reason for the question marks. But when I came back the question was there. As someone mentioned on another thread, it sometimes takes awhile for things to appear on here. Bolt necks are bolted on to the body. Set necks are set with glue or other substances and permantly attached to the body. There are pros and cons for both types of necks. One is not necessarily better than the other. I will allow someone else to tell you about all these. For I must leave now.

And I'm still feeling stupid about the question marks.

Gibson and Epiphone are generall set necks. Fender is generally a bolt-on neck.

Epiphone's lower-end (Junior and Special) guitars have bolt-on necks.

Set necks have better sustain and have better upper-fret access.

Bolt-on necks have better resonance because there's no glue between the two pieces of wood. It's also easier to replace/repair a bolt-on neck than a set neck.

Hey Don' date=' I'm sorry, when I looked at your post I saw a blank space. That's the reason for the question marks. But when I came back the question was there. As someone mentioned on another thread, it sometimes takes awhile for things to appear on here. Bolt necks are bolted on to the body. Set necks are set with glue or other substances and permantly attached to the body. There are pros and cons for both types of necks. One is not necessarily better than the other. I will allow someone else to tell you about all these. For I must leave now.

And I'm still feeling stupid about the question marks.[/quote']

No problem. I filled the form wrong the first time.

Archived