Gibson Brands Forums

Dot vs Sheraton II ?

MI_Canuck

Besides the gold hardware and nicer inlays on the Sheraton II, are there any major differences between the Epiphone Dot and Sheraton II?? $200 price differences seems significant if the only difference is cosmetic ($399 vs $599 for the vintage sunburst version of each, for the Dot and Sheraton respectively). Any differences in the woods used, or the pickups?

Sheraton II:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Sheraton-II-Electric-Guitar-518240-i1149945.gc

632866245730024018.jpg

Dot:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-B-Stock-Dot-Electric-Guitar-100077365-i1149955.gc

474942jpg.jpg

cheers

I've got a Dot and A Sheraton. In fact I am holding my Dot now. I really have to say that I like my Sheraton more that my Dot. Why? The neck on the Sheraton has a much thinner profile and I love a thin neck. The binding on the neck and the inlays also add some class to it.

The pickups are the same, I changed them in both my Dot and Sherry. As far as the wood is concerned, I don't know if there is any difference or not. I really am not a big fan of gold hardware, so that was not really a big draw for me. I did like the added inlay in the headstock though. I am pleased with both guitars, but my Sherry is definitely a more comfortable fit for me.

Worth $200 more? I think so. But, I can't make that call for you.

If you don't mind a little thicker neck and don't care about some of the cosmetic differences in the Sheraton, then go for the Dot. It is a very nice guitar for the money.

I've got a Dot and A Sheraton. In fact I am holding my Dot now. I really have to say that I like my Sheraton more that my Dot. Why? The neck on the Sheraton has a much thinner profile and I love a thin neck. The binding on the neck and the inlays also add some class to it.

The pickups are the same' date=' I changed them in both my Dot and Sherry. As far as the wood is concerned, I don't know if there is any difference or not. I really am not a big fan of gold hardware, so that was not really a big draw for me. I did like the added inlay in the headstock though. I am pleased with both guitars, but my Sherry is definitely a more comfortable fit for me.

Worth $200 more? I think so. But, I can't make that call for you.

If you don't mind a little thicker neck and don't care about some of the cosmetic differences in the Sheraton, then go for the Dot. It is a very nice guitar for the money. [/quote']

The thin neck alone would be enough to sway me to the Sheraton. I have shorter fingers so the thin neck is something I look for. Thanks for the info jcwillow. I appreciate it. You're the perfect person to have answered this, since you own both.

cheers

Add me to the Sheraton camp - again for the neck, and yes, a little for the class. I haven't played a Dot, but boy I like my Sherry neck.

I am curious: for those who swapped out the original pickups, what did you choose and why? Mine's a 2001 Samick, and does anyone know what the original ones are? I imagine over the years the factory pickups may have changed?

I also have a 2001 Samick in Natural finish. It is probably the nicest korean guitar I have every owned. I had ebony and didn't like the weight. I bought an Ebony Gibson ES335 and I love that guitar but the Sheraton just feels nicer to play. I don't know what pickups are in it but I like them. I play mostly blues and I like the tone from them. I really like the neck on this guitar as well. I have the ultimate Dot guitar so I can't say if I would every buy an Epi Dot but I certainly would buy another Samick built Sheraton.

P3270036.jpg

If you get the chance, sit down and play 'em both. Or some other Archies at the same price point as well. I walked in looking at Artcores and Dots but fell in love with the fit and feel of the Sheraton. But that's just me. Had to wait a few months to collect the price difference but it was worth it.

If you can't lay hands on for a test drive, I say buy the Sheraton!

N

Zman - looks like the body on the Sheraton is shifted higher up (ie. the pickups and bridge are lower on the body) compared with the Gib 335. Does this have a significant impact on how each sounds? Is there a reason (patents?) why the Epi and Gib aren't identical in placement of body in relation to the hardware?

thnx

When I first looked at the pictures I thought it was just that the Sheri was sitting a little lower. I pulled them out and put them side by side. They are definitely different. They are both about the same size body wise. The Sheri is about 1/8 in. wider at the widest point. The necks are set aprox the same at 4 frets in and the distance between the pickups is the same. it is just the bridge and the stop bar.

The stop bar on the Sheri is 7.5 inches from the bottom and the Gibby is 8.25. The distance between the bridge and the stop bar on the Sheri is 1.5 in. and 1 in on the Gibby, the bridges are both about 1/2 inch from the bottom pickup.

I have never noticed this before and I have no idea why it is. I did notice when I owned my Ebony Sheraton that the neck was slightly higher in the body, and it was not made at the Samick plant.

So I guess things do vary.

The Gibby has by far the best tone of the two, by I like the more raunchy dirty tones I get from the Sheraton as well. It really sound down and bluesy.

OK - so I went over to GC today to play with both a Sheraton and Dot. The Sheraton was an "IXXXXXXXX" model (Saein?), and the Dot was a "EEXXXXXXXX" model (Quing-Dao).

The neck thickness difference wasn't as big as I thought. The Dot had a slightly fatter neck, no doubt about it, but not by as much as I was expecting.

Fit and finish wise, my impression was that the EEXXXXXXXX Dot was nicer and better built than the "IXXXXXXXX" Sheraton. And honestly the Dot felt like it played a bit better, but that could be just due to the Sheraton needing more of a setup than the Dot. But I'd have to go back a few times, and maybe find a different Sheraton to play with. Not too impressed with the IXXXXXXXX model. The inlays and headstock of the Sheraton are obviously nicer, but for the 200 difference, I can easily see myself getting a Dot instead just to save some dough. When you're playing it, the inlays don't make one bit of difference. ;-)

As for the neck, I could see potential in having the Dot neck recontoured maybe by a good shop, if it really became a problem. Unless the cost of doing that exceeded 200. But the plus would be to get rid of the sticky gloss finish (my Epi goth SG has a nice satin neck which I really like).

cheers

Don't talk yourself into a lower model because it is going to save you some money in the short term. Its much easier to be more critical of a dearer model and find all the faults you can than a lower model. I played 7 dots and 2 Sheratons and both the Sheratons shat on the dots.

If the Sheraton is an I prefix it is a Korean guitar. I would buy one of those before I would buy the Chinese model.

My Saien Sheraton was absolutely flawless but it was just too heavy. 5 years from now that 200 will be chicken feed and you will be mad at yourself for not getting the much nicer Sheraton. The neck on them is just so nice to play.

But hey you are the one who is paying the dough. You should grind the guy a little and maybe either get a case thrown in or get him to knock a few bucks off.

it's not the 200 that's so much the issue... it's what you get for that 200... maybe it was just this particular Sheraton (i'm definitely going to check some others out)... but i found the build quality of the 'EE' Dot to be more worth its 399 price tag, than this particular 'I' Sheraton's 599 price tag...

i'm not in any rush to get either one just yet... i'll keeping trying some out, even some used ones... eventually find 'the one' ... or wait for a worthwhile sale at GC to pick one of them up...

both are awesome guitars and sound great... i just need to find the one i'm most comfortable with

peace

I know i have mentioned it on other threads, but I have owned both a SaeIn Sheraton and two Samick Sheratons at the same time. I have owned a nice Dot in the past, but not currently. I ended up selling the SaeIn Sheraton. It was made extremely well, and there was nothing wrong with it. It sounded very 'nice' but just didn't grab me. It was a 2005 model.

The Samicks are from the 90s, and very different from each other. One has the thinner neck everyone here raves about (the VSB), but the other one has a thicker neck (the natural blonde). I measured them all, and it is not my imagination. However, the bigger necked one is the one I love. In the not so far off future, I will probably lose the VSB-thin necked one to make way for something else. It has a great sound too, but very different from the big necked blonde. I am trying to not have so many that sit in their case, which is most of them right now.

It is a vintage sunburst, but I haven't figured out what I am going to do with it yet. It may need some work on its wiring. It's been a while since I played it last, and I only did that a few times (amplified). It has a Bill Haley-esque sound to it, but as I recall I had to turn the knobs near all the way up to get any real sound out of the guitar. It could have been because I was playing in the wee hours of the morning, and my amp was almost totally turned down, but I have to check it again at regular volume. I will contact you when I check it out and decide, and if you are still interested we can work something out.

Here's a pic of my VSB

3595_1.jpg

And my big baby blonde!

DSC00764.jpg

Saw an Epiphone Riviera (made in Japan model the guy said ???). It has the frequensator tailpiece which sort of turned me off. Just somehow don't like the look. Any issues with those tailpieces compared with the regular tailpiece on the Dots/Sheraton II's?

looked pretty much like this one...

86ad2f530de2455bbc2f174e430f86a9.jpg

what's the typical used price on these?

cheers

Archived