Gibson Brands Forums

One in a million find!!!

bear222

Hi gang, thought I'd share my good fortune. Today I was combing the local Pawn shops for a cheap Strat knockoff for a relic project I'm doing, when up on the wall I see a beautiful cherry red Epi G400 with a price tag of...wait for it.... $99 well I thought "How can this be?" Must be something seriously wrong here. I asked the little pawn gnome behind the counter to please take it down so I could find the horrible flaw it must have.....and there it was... A chip on the back of the top horn, maybe an inch long and 1/4 in. wide. That was it. The rest was immaculate. Of course I snatched it up before anyone else saw it, [or the pawn guy came to his senses] It's the SG I always wanted but could'nt afford. It's an EE serial made in May 2006. Just goes to show you good things can happen every once in a while!! Oh yeah I know the rule...but my little brother liberated my camera. So as soon as I get it back I'll post a couple of shots.

Enjoying the heck out of my cherry EE g-400 as well.See if you can find a little nail polish that would match the color,and you can minimize the apearence of the damage.I know this cause I bought mine with a broken off headstock which I glued back on.Finally think I've got it dialed in,even with the stock pickups its sounding really sweet now.Had a bit of an annoying metalic sound,raised the bridge 1/4 turn ea side.Either that put enough down force on the saddles or possibly the strings just needed to be a bit higher.Trying to decide if to upgrade anything else.

Enjoy your new guitar!

Congratulations (though I really won't believe 'til I see the pictures)...

I agree they seemed to have left that out in the 'official forum rules'...so let's put it in now before things get out of hand around here. It's called the "Pics or it never happened rule" :-

Thanks guys, And I will take your advice daneman, you are the master fixer, the job you did on your G-400 was amazing. Whomever had this guitar before me did a great set-up on it!! I just raised the neck pup a little and lowered the bridge a hair on the treble side. Everything else seems to be fine; good intonation, ruler flat neck, all nuts and bolts tight etc.

I think of rotcanX as the master fixer.I'm just a padowan learner to his jedi wisdom!

I think that here on the forum we all learn ,and gain the drive to have the coolest gear possible,from each other to some extent.

I know I've learned a lot from these guys.

I'm not bad for this area of the state however LOL

I've fixed a bunch of guitars.

Yeah Gary you make me wish there were anti GASS pills.Love my Cherry.But I gots me a Thing for white guitars.

And Bear I know what you mean,I too fear the thousand yard stare of disdain.But ya gotta admit the man knows his stuff!!

Spud's the one who turned me on to the EE series G-400s as being among the best.You wouldn't believe how many times I double check my spelling and grammar,especially since I don't know how to type.

I hear ya Bro....Spud does know his stuff, and not only here, I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain Spud1950 over on the Squier forum might just be our boy too! Thats a very classy axe gary the cherry ones remind me of smoky bars and leather jackets....while the white ones are classy gigs and tuxedoes.

Man, that find is almost as good as that guy with the bush guitar a while back... Why don't i get that damn lucky? Oh and a friend of mine gets a marshall JCM2000 full stack for 100 bucks from a garage sale...

I need some luck, maybe I'll start looking behind bushes for guitars... Who knows, I might find an SG in a tree =D>

Man... Just when you thought there weren't any good pawn shop scores anymore! I can scarcely believe that even the most dim-witted of pawn shop owners would let that guitar go for $99!

Most of the time' date=' the prices they ask for the beat-up junk you see in pawn shops these days is laughable....

[/quote']

Offer half of what they are asking and you will usually get it for somewhere in that range.

Bear, you can always make up a story about that ding. "I was sitting in with (whoever) and this hot chick came up and hugged me and the SG banged against the mic stand...it was worth it though."

Offer half of what they are asking and you will usually get it for somewhere in that range.."

Oh for sure... Pawn shops are meant for haggling... I just rarely find anything in a pawn shop that I want anymore... The one in my hometown never has anything GAS-worthy.. Just bottom-of-the-line Squires, Epis, and off-brand guitars.

Archived