Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny Winter

chris1281734003

Heard Johnny Winter Monay night. I'd heard that he wasn't necessarily on his game these days. All I can say is that from centre aisle seventh row at the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium in Halifax, he was not just geat but somewhere beyond.

What a show! Smooth articulated playing at it's bloody best is all I can say. If you get the chance, check the old cat out.

And if anyone can give me any info on what that little 3/4 mandolin solid body guitar was about, then I sure would appreciate it.

Man I was happy to see him play so well. He looked so frail coming on stage. But he's 63, looks 93 and plays like he's 23!

Chris

He is one of my favorites! He defintley blazed the trail for SRV and others in the the blues and blues/rock scene.

I don't think there's anyone who can play blues lead guitar as fast as that man can. =D>

Heard Johnny Winter Monay night. I'd heard that he wasn't necessarily on his game these days. All I can say is that from centre aisle seventh row at the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium in Halifax' date=' he was not just geat but somewhere beyond.

What a show! Smooth articulated playing at it's bloody best is all I can say. If you get the chance, check the old cat out.

And if anyone can give me any info on what that little 3/4 mandolin solid body guitar was about, then I sure would appreciate it.

Man I was happy to see him play so well. He looked so frail coming on stage. But he's 63, looks 93 and plays like he's 23!

Chris[/quote']

I saw him at the Lone Star Cafe in NYC for a 4th of July concert in the mid '70s. I got there at 8:00pm, SRO, packed like sardines. You couldn't move an inch. When the waitress got to you, you had to order a couple of drinks 'cos it might be an hour before you see her again!!!

JW came out at 11:00pm and rocked like madman. He was pretty frail and skinny looking even back then. But man, could he play. I left at 2:00am, he was still going strong. Next day, we found out that the police had to shut him down at 5:00am.

I saw him live at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1970. He sold the place out. The other band was called Slade and they were loud and spent more time jumping off their amps than playing. He was awsome but very loud as well. A couple of years ago you could go to a local bar called the Downunder in St. Catharines Ontario and for the price of a beer you could see him. Glad to hear he is back doing large gigs. He is on the new Eric Clapton Crossroads DVD doing Highway 61. He also played that little mando guitar on Sweet home Chicago to end the DVD.

I've seen him mnay. many times and always an excellent show. He use to play Winterland in San Fran a lot. Always had blue christmas lights along the edge of the stage so he wouldn't walk off. His vision isn't the best. He's the reason I bought my first Firebird in the 70's.

Archived