Gibson Brands Forums

Looking at 2 LPs. Endorsements/opinions wanted...

Durango Kid

I am currently seeking out my first Les Paul. I've been playing Fenders since I started 11 years ago and they are like home for me but I have decided that a Paul is mandatory.

There are two models that I have been interested in for a while. I'm not crazy about the graphics on either one but that doesn't really matter. What I'm looking for is that classic Les Paul on-the-edge sizzle and bite. I also want a neck with minimal finish on it. I like satin and if need be, I will take a steel wool to any neck to get the proper feel. Here are the two that I'm considering. Your experience and thoughts are appreciated.

Joe Perry Boneyard-Seems well done except for maybe the tuners. The Burstbuckers intrigue me because they are supposed to be a quality pup but I don't know much about them. Had one in my hands once years ago and I remember that I liked the neck a lot. Good solid feel. These come up on ebay every once in a while so I figured I could probably get one for about $550 if Im patient.

The Les Paul Ultra-Comes very highly rated and I like the thought of the lighter weight. Not sure about the weight balance issues I hear about though. Most of the hardware seems decent but again, I don't know much about these Pups. Neck has a satin finish and is supposed to be a slightly narrow profile. Supposed to be good for Fender players.

I look forward to your thoughts

If you are really bent on the satin finish, an easy fix would be to get one of the "Faded" G-400's... You will definitely get that sound, plus its a VERY nice looking guitar with the satin finish and "aged" hardware....

If you don't like the sound, you can get new pickups... May I be the first on the "new" forum to recommend GFS pickups

guitarfetish.com For that sound, I would go with the 59's...

If your bent on the Les Paul look, I would go for the ultra... but then again, I'm not you...

For me, the ultra just has more of that classic LP look... the weight relieving is a big factor for me too... I have uneven shoulders, and my slinging shoulder gets very sore after a bit of play...

Again, if you dont like the pickups, thats not a huge deal to change....

Just my two cents

(runs and ducks for cover)

Thanks for the reply but I don't think you understand. I'm not looking for a satin finish on the guitar. I like satin finish Necks (aka low gloss). And, I'm not really looking for a Les Paul look, I'm looking for a Les Paul SOUND.

I've played GFS pups and they are pretty good but they don't have THAT sound.

Hello Durango,

I have a Boneyard LP and I love it. I am one of the few peolple that dig the Satin finish on the neck and back. I have been a Fender guy for most of my 17 years of playing. When I am not playing a Fender, I am playing my Ovation Balladeer 12 string (unfinished neck), or one of my Taylor's with unfinished necks. I also have a Schecter C1 -Classic which has SD Jazz and JB pickups. It is a 25.5" scale guitar, but you can get some screaming humbucker sounds from it. However, the neck is painted and gets slippery when my hand gets even a little sweaty.

The Boneyard's pickups are incredible. The bridge is very hot and screams. You can dial back the tone and volume on the neck pickup, and get everything from creamy blues, to muddy jazz, to even a close resemblance to surf guitar (think sleepwalk). The fit and finish are excellent, great set up right out of the box. The face of the Boneyard is not for everybody, but I don't think about it when I am playing.

I have played the Ultra, and it seems to be a well built guitar. They also have the Ultra II out now that has an acoustic pick up built into the bottom of the fret board. I don't have as much experience with these, as I only played them for 15 minutes at the Showcase.

Thank you,

Don

Archived