Gibson Brands Forums

good job Epiphone

Prospero

So, as I've mentioned before, I'm essentially brand new at the guitar. I'm starting everything from scratch. To that end, I had purchased my Les Paul Standard Plus from Musician's Friend online one week ago, and I've had it for just a couple of days.

Now, I've read some horror stories regarding guitars from the factory mine came from (DW) and from the shop I bought it from sight unseen. I was expecting some sort of unfinished, Frankenstein-type unplayable monstrosity I'd have to ship right back to MF almost as soon as I got it.

After a couple of days, I must say that I am more impressed than ever. I know that I should take it in for a pro set-up (and I will, as soon as I can find the time) but so far I have seen and found nothing wrong with it. Given some of the horror stories, I went through the entire finish with a fine tooth comb, and with the exception of a slightly rough edge on the pickguard, there is not a flaw to be found.

I spent about an hour tuning and de-tuning and otherwise checking the intonation with a digital tuner. The intonation seems to be spot on. At first I had a bit of trouble with the G string on the 12th fret, but the difference was so miniscule that it didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't the string that was the problem but how I was fretting it. So far, as well, I've been playing with it for about 3 hours a night, every night since I got it, and pretty much all day today. With the exception of when it arrived, and my taking it out of tune deliberately today to check out the intonation, the thing has pretty much kept in tune the whole time. Granted it's not heavy playing, just a novice practising.

My gut tells me that the action is high, but I honestly don't know any better. It's lower than on my acoustic, and it feels just fine, but still my instinct is that it probably needs to come down a bit.

As I said, I'll take it in for a pro set-up anyway very soon. For now, though, I must say that I am really impressed with Epiphone for a guitar that is perfectly finished and eminently playable right out of the box. After reading what I've read about guitars coming out of the DW factory, either I must have got lucky or they've stepped up their game.

I am going to add a +1 to this post. I have always wanted an LP but could never justify the $2000 Gibson price tag. Looked at, played and purchased an Epi LP Standard Plus and am incredibly impressed. I replaced the stock pups with 57 Classics (although the stock ones didn't sound bad) and I can't believe how good this guitar plays and sounds. For $700 ($500+$200 for the pups) this is a no-brainer. Unbelievably beautiful guitar also. Can't say how impressed I am with fit, finish, playability, sound - everything. Total homerun!

Way to go Epi - you have earned a new customer for life. I'll be getting that Dot or Sheraton sometime soon - but would get one tomorrow if you made one in Alpine White. Any chance of that...?

Hmmm, from what I have seen, I would be surprised if they go too cheaply. The white color is kind of well regarded for that model, especially since they haven't made them in that color for a few years, as I understand it. Very nice.

Thanks - They look nice' date=' but I can't buy a guitar without playing it first. Just too hit or miss - been burned before. [/quote']

Me either, buying a guitar is a personal thing. It has to feel right and have that special acoustic unamplified sound. There's just something about seeing, touching, and picking out the right one in a guitar store that has to be done in person. That's just me. It's kind of like buying a vehicle. I want to sit in it, open the hood, and drive it around the block.

Most of us in this forum are picky guitar players, anyway. We can't buy one without taking it apart and modding it.

Dave (formerly Dave_Lp_Strat)

Archived