Gibson Brands Forums

Epi by Epiphone model 2000 ( LesPaul)

MaddArkhaM

A big hello to everybody!!!

I just bought from ebay the guitar in the title ( Epi by Epiphone model 2000 ).

It's from Epi, a subsidiary of Epiphone, it's made in Korea, don't know the Year...

I tried to crawl in the Internet to found some more information about it, but I cannot find anything useful.

I'm just searching informations about woods, pick-ups, eventual known flaws in design... etc etc...

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot !!!!

MaddArkhaM

A big hello to everybody!!!

It's from Epi' date=' a subsidiary of Epiphone, it's made in Korea, don't know the Year...

I tried to crawl in the Internet to found some more information about it, but I cannot find anything useful.

I'm just searching informations about woods, pick-ups, eventual known flaws in design... etc etc...

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot !!!!

MaddArkhaM

[/quote']

Check out 1998 Epi Catalogue

It's from Epi' date=' a subsidiary of Epiphone, it's made in Korea, don't know the Year...

[/quote']

Well, it's an Epiphone Les Paul, then. Made in Korea so it could be from Samick or Saein or thereabouts.

A picture and the serial number would help a lot.

Unless you bought a Special (which it would say on the headstock), in 2000 they'd have had pretty much the same woods as today (maybe cheap Asian industrial grade mahogany-wannabe-wood called lauan and a thin alder top).

The standard pickups from about year 2000 on are "Gibson designed" hot pickups, which some have described muddy (me included).

I think earlier the pickups were whatever the factory had around.

Sorry, maybe I not explained myself very well.

2000 it's not the Year but a kind of "model n°" ( in the '98 catalog there were n°200 and 300 for example ... )

It's a Les Paul copy and the headstock sports a "EPI" ( not Epiphone ) writing, the machine heads are quite economic-looking.

The vendor swear on the heads of his children that it's made in korea ( not china ) and the pick-ups are "PAF" humbuckers with

a very "brit-pop" sound ( so quasi-single-coil I can imagine )...

It's from an ebay auction I won...

If someone it's interested in helping me the auction is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140199032561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

When I'll collect some information I'll publish them somewere in the Net and I'll post here a link :-s

Thanks a lot

MaddArkhaM

I'm at a loss too.It could be exactly what the seller says tho.A lot of it looks right.I think i remember seeing a few guitars in the past that just said EPI.

Here's an Epi by epiphone bass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPI-EPIPHONE-BASS-GUITAR-BLACK-PRESISION-BASS_W0QQitemZ230216880157QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD10VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m127

you got gyped if you think thats an epiphone headstocks shaped funny' date=' weird inlays and for the life of me ive never seen one saying epi like that. if i were you id call gibson and theyd probably put in a case against that seller or give you a genuine epiphone.[/quote']

There's a lot of things you've never seen, kid...

That guitar's legit.. I've seen them before.

I got the thing!!! It arrived yesterday and I played it all night long... =D>

It's not a "bad" instrument at all... shure... it's not a Gibson, neither a "regular" Epiphone... but it worthed the bucks!

It's built in economy and You can see it by some particulars such as the body binding that's only PAINTED, or the fact that the body is made from

at least two pieces of wood ( very different in grain, and maybe... species!!!).

I was fearing that the sound were crappy too... but.. I've to admit that this pieces of various woods sounds GREAT! shurely better than many guitars I played before that costed much more and of mouth-filling brand names...

Basses are tight yet deep and trebles are sparkilng yet full and rich.

Sustain is nothing I was used to with locking-tremolo guitars.

The pick-ups combination assure a rich palette of sound to choose among... Even if I prefer the combination of both p-ups with the neck tone all way off.

Playability is over my most reckless dreams on a guitar of this kind.

As You can see I'm very happy with my purchase! Again, it's not a Gibson, but I think I found a very lucky exemplar...

A last question... It's possible that the upper part of the body is chambered? lightly konking on it produce a slight "hollow" sound and the guitar has a quasi-acoustic sound when unplugged...

thanks for Your precious help!!!!

MaddArkhaM

Hey 13yguitarman,

You sure know how to impress folks and make freinds NOT! Your mom needs to wash your mouth out with soap and take away your X box for a week! I know at 13 you "think" you know it all...heck I got a 13 year old step daughter going on 31 (groans) that thinks she is a know-it-all too. Types like you make an other wise very nice forum (in your words) ugly as f**k hate to even see your name pop up in here...and 9 out of 10 times I just skip right over your post.

Hopefully the powers at hand will see your crap and band your happy little butt and us grown ups can talk without interruption..I remember an old saying My Dad use to use "kids are to be seen and not heard" that fits so well with you! LOL

Capt

Archived