Gibson Brands Forums

Simple Question?

Hiram

I'm looking for a Epi Dot new or used, if a used one should I be looking at the made in Korea ones. I guess I'm asking if the the older ones made in korea are of better quality than the China made ones or no discernible difference.

The Korean ones are percieved by some as being higher quality.Not Owning one yet,I can only say that from what I've read on the forums would make me believe I'd want a Korean one.

My newest guitar is an EE made G-400(Qing dao,China).It is a really well made guitar,so I would think that an EE dot would probably be really nice too.

Other thoughts or opinions guys?

I have a Dot from DaeWon, there was no difference to a Dot from Qingdao but it doesn't sound acoustically quite as beautiful

as a Sheraton I got to try the other day... or maybe it was just in my head.

Nevertheless, there are probably good ones and bad ones from every country and factory.

black_pair.jpg

Mine Dot was made in China (EE) and it is a nice gutar. I bought it as a 2nd from MF for $250 and I have no complaints. There were only a couple of minor flaws, and those on the neck so no one will see them but me. Certainly not enough to send it back for.

I have a G-400 from Korea (Unsung) and it is also a very nice guitar. I wouldn't make a blanket statement that Korean guitars are better than Chinese, you have to judge each one independantly.

In my experience, the Korean guitars made in the Samick and Peerless factories (denoted by a serial number starting with S or R) have been consistently excellent, at least among the higher-end archtops. Both of these factories make guitars under their own name as well.

Quite a few folks here have been happy with their Saein-made ones also (serial no. starting with I).

I recently played with both an (I) Saein Sheraton and an (EE) Dot at GC. Take it for what it's worth, but I found the build quality of the (EE) to be noticeably better than that of the (I). I know for G-400's, the EE's are the ones to get if buying new. That seems to reflect on the Dot as well.

But got and try a bunch out. You'll be able to tell immediately what feels "best" to *YOU*.

cheers

Archived