Gibson Brands Forums

490T versus 498T

superjudge3

You may want to take a look at Seymour Duncan pickups. The forums over at Seymour Duncan could probably help you narrow down which pickups you want for the sound/tone you are seeking. I personally think SD's blow anything from Gibson away, but that's personal opinion.

For groove metal or hard rock, you may want to check out the SH-5 Custom or SH-14 Custom5 for the bridge and maybe an SH-1 '59 for the neck or even Jazz SH-2. But the forums at SD are real helpful since a lot of guys over there have tried multitudes of pickups.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

peace

Go for the 498T, dude. The 490T is a treble-spaced 490R and is mostly used in something like the ES-335 where an ultra-hot pickup is not usually desired. They also use it in the SG Special sin a deliberate attempt to keep them from competing with the SG Standard (which has the 498T), and the 490T sux on an SG.

Go for the 498T' date=' dude. The 490T is a treble-spaced 490R and is mostly used in something like the ES-335 where an ultra-hot pickup is not usually desired. They also use it in the SG Special sin a deliberate attempt to keep them from competing with the SG Standard (which has the 498T), and the 490T sux on an SG.

[/quote']

agreed, the 490T sounds lame (EDIT: lame as in dull and weak, not terrible or anything)

and if you even mention the words "hard rock" or "metal" you should look at no less than a 498T

the 498T sounds nice for classic rock if you roll the volume or treble off a hair, and gets nice and agressive for hard rock and metal, but still sounds clear to my ears

I like the sound of the Gibson 490' date=' but how different does a 498T sound? Is it a lot hotter? I'm thinking about putting either a 490 or a 498 in my G-400. I mainly use my G-400 for groove-metal and hard rock.

Thanks[/quote']

I'm right there with everyone else' feedback- clear, classic, great Bite on the 498t

I have it on my gibson explorer and it really makes it crispy crunchy!!

I'll add my 2 cents and agree with those who praise the 498. I have several guitars with that pickup combination and 2 elitist dots with 490r/t. I recently put a 490/498 in one of my 'regular' dots and really like it. I especially like the extra bite the 498 gives me. As has been said, a great overall set for modern rock.

• 6 years later...

I have owned several studio's over the years and the first thing I did was pull that abomination of a 498t pickup and toss it as far as I can throw it. The Fraser river is filled with unwanted 498t pickups. I just hate them. I love the 490t pickup as it matches the 490r pickup so well. And you can dirty up a low output pickup like the 490 but you can't clean up a 498T. It just sounds harsh.

I love the new 2014 studio with the 490r/t pickup set.

I have 490/498 on my 98 LP Special SL and, it not only sounds great but, they are perfectly balanced. I don't see how anyone can even come close to calling these harsh. They must have a cheesy amp they are playing through. It is not very hard to adjust amp and guitar either with these pickups. The 498 is a very loud pickup as well. Not the loudest around but, pretty loud.

• 4 years later...

I have been playing Gibson Guitars for a very long time. My favorite humbucker set is the Alnico II 490R & Alnico V 498T. I also really like the Gibson 496R & 500T Super Ceramics which Gibson tends to use in their Flying V's and Explorers. However, I recently bought a Gibson SG Faded Special. Now the Gibson web site states that the 490R & 490T Alnico II Humbuckers are "wound hotter". I installed "genuine" Gibson pickup covers on each pickup to give the guitar a better look. I was seriously considering purchasing a 498T Alnico V Humbucking Bridge Pickup but the 490T in my Gibson SG Faded Special actually sounds pretty darn good. I was very surprised. Also, the set works really well together. My opinion is to buy a Gibson 498T Humbucking Bridge Pickup because that is a killer pickup and I can personally guarantee the 498T will give you the sound/tone/output you are looking for without question. Good luck and best wishes. If you decide to go with another pickup brand I strongly suggest the DiMarzio DP100 Super Distortion Ceramic Magnet. The Seymour Duncan equivalent would be the Duncan Custom also Ceramic Magnet. FYI, the Duncan Custom Custom is an Alnico V Magnet pickup. I would just get the Gibson 498T honestly.

The 498T will add the Punch to a solo,

and boosts well 'over the top' of the mix, when needed. Rolls off nicely.

The 490T, even though very warm for rhythm, doesn't have the 'Punch' required for the stand out solo.

Kind of the difference between a Duncan JB and an SH-6.

SH-6 is a hot pickup

JB is not quite as hot, but well balanced and darn good sounding.

I added a 498T to my 2010 SG Faded

to match the output of my SG standard.

SG faded came stock with the 490t, but no matter how much I tried it just didn't have the 'Super Distortion' sound I was after, without being a Super D.

The 498t was Everything in the ballpark I wanted, but not so over the top and shrillll sounding .

The 498T was my best friend at one point. Everything about it was just perfect for my needs.

(to be more clear about it, I was using a Marshall HDFX at the time

so my choices weren't possibly the best in the amp dept....we learn)

People use the T for a solo vs the R? ����

Depends on the need I suppose..

for a heavy band playing Paranoid, like my situation, needed the over the top, Treble..crispy feeling.

On the Other Hand,

Songs like the solo's in Sweet Child O' Mine

I see the toggle switch go UP

and that solo played in the Rhythm position.

My style of playing has changed somewhat, but for the longest time I kept my switch on Treble

Archived