Gibson Brands Forums

Putting an Epiphone '57 Classic in a G-310

superjudge3

I'd say the Epiphone Alnico Classics (are there such pickups as Epi '57 Classics?) are a bit more defined but still a bit hot and muddy...

Sometimes you'll see them labed 57 classic or 57 classic plus, and sometimes lp(neck) or something(CH) or (CH)Hot -- whatever...they're pretty much the same pickups. A "neck" and "bridge", with an overwound "Hotbridge" and all only slightly different versions of Epi's version of a copy of a Gibson 57 Classic pickup. The variations are as much from who had the contract to make which batch as from anything else, but those are the versions you'll usually find. The only other difference is sometimes they change the bobbin color and sometimes covered, sometimes not, chrome or gold -- the biggest difference is all cosmetic.

Edit: While you may get some slight improvement by exchanging one Epi Pickup for another, it has as much chance of sounding worse as it does of sounding better, and most likely to sound pretty much the same, though covered/uncovered is probably a big enough difference to be heard. All of the pickups in this class - wound close to spec's of modelled p/up but hotter - will be a bit louder than the original p/up and that very overwinding that makes it louder also tends to emphasize midrange and upper low tones, effectively flattening the treble, which is why sometimes they sound really, really muddy when you try to overdrive the sound really hard. Anyway, IMHO you would be better off to save a bit more money and upgrade your amp.

Me, and a lot of others on the forum have replaced the stock pickups in our Epi's with GFS pickups.

They are very reasonably priced and sound really really good especially for the price.

I put a set of their vintage '59s in my Epi Les Paul Standard.While not quite as hot as the stock pickups the warm vintage tones are wonderful.

I'm thinking about a set for my g-400 as well.And for about$35 ea,I can replace both for about the price, or less, of one big name pickup.

Just my 2 cents.

D-

I agree with Gary. I'm not sure what you are using for an amp, but that plays a major part in your sound. Swapping out an Epi pickup for another Epi pickup may or may not work for you.

If after getting a decent amp and you are still not happy with your sound, I would try replacing the pickups. I have replaced pickups in most of my guitars and of late have be using GFS like daneman has mentioned. They carry a very good selection at a very reasonable price. The Vintage 59s are great pickups. I have them in two of my guitars and one of their p90s in my Junior. Actually, I'd like to get another guitar to put a set of Mean 90s in.

No worries about the amp (Marshall 2x12, 130-watt tube amp) , its just that the G-310 pick-ups are way to bassy and muddy, no matter what amp or pedals I use (I also use a Fender Twin-Reverb).

I just use my G-310 as a back-up, my hot-rodded G-400 is my main axe.

Thanks again, I'll probably just buy a new S. Duncan PU.

Archived