Gibson Brands Forums

Slides

jcwillow777

I don't know how many slide players there are out there, but I just bought one that I absoluetly love. I haven't bought any new slides in a few years, and I just recently broke my last glass slide. So I bought several from Sweetwater, free shipping no matter the cost. Well, I just fell in love with a Dunlop 218. It's a short heavy wall glass slide that just comes to the end of my middle finger. It feels great and has a very mellow sweet tone. I don't know, maybe it's a metal thing, but I feel more in control with a slide that doesn't stick out an inch past the end of my finger. I'm definitely gonna buy a few more. I've used chrome ones and brass ones, but I really like the tone of a heavy wall glass slide.

Thanks for the tip! I've been mucking around with slide lately and really having fun. I've been experimenting w/ different tunings too. Kinda' puts the whammy on your brain when you're playing with others or switch from one git to the next. Makes my brain and fingers get confused. Good workout though. Ordered a little book from MF too to help me out. Don't have the titled handy right now though.

However, I just made my own slides out of some wine bottle necks. I just got out the chop saw one arvo and went to town on a couple of different bottle shapes(remember to wear safety glasses if you try this at home, kids). I sanded down any rough edges, then I just slipped 'em on and off and settled on the one with the best feel. I think I ended up with a Rosemont Estates Syrah '05:-&

I've been thinking about getting about getting a manufactured one though to see if the weight and balance might not be more efficient. I've tried a few metal and ceramic ones but I really prefer glass.

Now GASing for a Resonator!

N

JC

I too am a slide player (matter of opinion, I guess)

I love the heavy wall glass slides. I am currently using a glass medicine bottle.

The only thing I don't like about it is when I use it for long period of time it captures alot of condensation and sweat.

I play with the slide on my ring finger.

Don't know why. Maybe cause I can stabilize it with pinky and bird.

But for years all I had was a chrome plated metal slide.

I always hated the lack of control I had with it so ...

one day I took a hacksaw and cut it in half.

Now I can slip it on my ring finger and play barre chords and slide.

There is definitely a different feel to the short slide and the tone is not as smooth as the medicine bottle.

Amino

I have a couple of medicine bottles, and the condensation is why I don't like about them. I like the tone I get from them, at least the thicker walled ones, so I will keep them. I use my middle finger, I guess when I started playing a must have been watching someone that used their middle finger. At least using this finger I can still do power chords and some lead soloing as well. I was just never able to master the pinky like some do. I will have to say that would be best for soloing, but I think it would make chording a little more difficult.

The 218 is a very smooth playing slide, and the tone is really mellow, which is what I like. I guess I don't use a metal slide any more cause they are too bright for me. I really like the shorter slide over the longer ones though, and this one doesn't seem to weight my finger down. This is the first short slide I have ever used. The next time I order some, I will just be ordering 218s.

Heavy glass seems to be quite popular. My choice too.

I use an old Alka Seltza bottle.

I like the weight and the loose fit on my finger [i tend to use my third finger for slide].

I can grip the slide by bending the finger but diiferent vibrato effects may be acheived by letting it "wobble" on the finger. Had it years . Not sure what I'd do if I were to lose or break it !

I play rhythm and slide in a band and prefer to use my little finger , as it lets me fret notes behind the slide to play 7th or minor chords etc. to accompany our lead guitarist. I play everything in open D tuning, and find that the chords created in this tuning offer some nice variations over those played in standard tuning.

A friend of mine told me about seeing Bonnie Raitt perform at an outdoor concert with a concrete stage area. After swigging from a long-necked beer bottle, she whacked the bottle on the edge of the stage to break off the neck, then rubbed the broken end on the concrete to grind down the sharp edges, then slipped it on her finger and wailed away.

Now THAT's the blues, for reals!

A friend of mine told me about seeing Bonnie Raitt perform at an outdoor concert with a concrete stage area. After swigging from a long-necked beer bottle' date=' she whacked the bottle on the edge of the stage to break off the neck, then rubbed the broken end on the concrete to grind down the sharp edges, then slipped it on her finger and wailed away.

Now THAT's the blues, for reals![/quote']

A redneck woman will change a tire AND make her own slide... Bonnie is a real player. I enjoy her music and her atittude.

If only I had saved those Coricidin bottles from when I was a kid...

I have seen 2 types of coricidin bottle slides, one is by mojo i think and says its a reissue of the original bottle, the other has coricidin misspelled. Am I correct in thinking that it comes down to personal preference as to which type of slide one uses?? I am just getting started playing guitar..

It is totally up to your preference. Buy a few and see what sounds best to you. Different slides will produce different tones. Metal slides produce a brighter sound while glass slides are a littel warmer. The thicker the glass the warmer the sound. I have several coricidin type bottle slides and several glass slides. All but one are made by Dunlop. I have a metal slide and a heavy brass slide, but I prefer short heavy glass slides.

I originally started playing slide after listening to Duane Allman. And then about 15 years ago I saw Bonnie Raitt, and that rekindled my love for the slide so I went out and bought a coricidin bottle slide. That one just broke, so I bought a few more to experiment with, and like I said earlier, my slide of choice in the Dunlop 218. I do like a bottle, but I don't like the condesation that forms inside the slide from being on my finger.

Archived