Gibson Brands Forums

dot in blueburst

KDKowalski

I noticed that you said "used to own" . Did the love for the blue color start to fade! I have one blue guitar out of 13 and it is a Daphne blue. Not too sure about blue burst. Was this a prototype. I have seen several with funky colors and flamed tops with no serial numbers. They were factory prototypes that got out into the market.

What was the background on the guitar?

Exactly...used to own....I didn't like the guitar. I have had troubly warming up to the dot in comparison to the Gibson 335. However I am a glutton for punishment and just purchased another in sunburst. I will post pictures of the new one in a bit.

It was a limited edition guitar, and my understanding was it was limited to 100 pieces, for the Canadian market.

The blue one just didn't fit like a glove, and some guitars just feel right. I did purchase this one at a local dealer and yes the blue was the original attration, but after the homemoon period it wasn't the one.

I purchased this one four years ago, when I was new to setting up Gibson guitars. I have only been a fender player up until that point and didn't fully appreciate the tone of Gibson. I wish I had kept it, as I now am finding with the epiphone pick-ups, if they are backed off considerable, the tone change is dramatic. The set-up on most epis that I have owned have had the PUPS sounding muddy. I could have changed hardware, but really find that I prefer to keep guitars either 100% stock....or totally create a new unmade model.

Oh well Dot # 3 hopefully will be the one for me. I purchased a broken in piece that was a main babied player for over a year. Like most guitars, I find they need to be played to get the proper feeling.

I'll post a few more of my favorite past epi's soon.

I never had a Dot until August of 2007. When I tried it everything felt right with it from the start. I don't know if it is just this particular one as I have never held another one.

Had the same thing happen with a Gibson Special, and a MIM Fender Strat. I am still trying to cozy up to my American Strat that I have had for 16 years. Go figure.

I have had several Sheratons, an I own an Ebony ES335 from 1990. The 335 belonged to a friend of mine and he owned it since new. Both of us could not warm up to that guitar. It felt and sounded wrong. He came on some hard luck and offered it to me. I said if he paid for a pro set up I would try it and see how it was. Over the years I had learned a lot about potential in guitars that need a complete set up to be "the ONE". I have a guy who does all my set ups and is a magician. He found that this guitar had never been properly intonated, or adjusted since new. When I got it back it was amazing. My latest Sheri is a Natural finish made at the Samick plant. It is a really well made guitar and sounds and plays beautifully. I have never touched the pickups and I like the sound from them. I play only blues and it suits me just fine, plus I don't mod my guitars either. One thing I have tried and it works for me is a lgihter string guage on the semi hollowbodies. I usd D'Addario 9.5s on the 335 and 9s on the Sheri. They make a huge difference. One thing I did notice was that the postion of the bridge on the 335 and the Sheri and quite different. I am wondering if this affects the tone. If you look at the photos you can see at least a 3/4 inch difference in the space from the bottom of the guitar to the stop on the Gibson, and a least a 1/2 inch on the gap between the bridge and the stop bar on the Sheri. At first I thought it was an optical thing but I did measure them.

P3270036.jpg

;) Makes me want to play stuff like

Blue eyes crying in the rain

Blue Bayou

My world is blue

When Sunny gets blue

Why doesn't my ES-137 look that good?

Gary you really need to stop bad mouthing the ES 137! [-X I happen to be enjoying mine immensely and I find my blueburst simply striking and it appeals to me more than that tealish dot!:D/ Please give her another chance[-o<

I mean lookit her' date= she's a doll

137strat.jpg?t=1201800110

No Gary, you're right --- that blueburst 137 is horribly ugly and you shouldn't have it polluting your music room even another hour! Being the selfless and helpful guy that I am, I'll be glad to take it off your hands and let you breathe easier. I'll be glad to provide my shipping address so you can be rid of it once and for all!

Do you really think this is a better finish? Can't see enough of the wood grain, they just made everything blue, no shading to speak of. This is the best picture of got of it, and I used the green shrub for some contrast. It was the only way I could get any "pop" out of the photo at all. I suppose I could try a solid white, black or tan background with some intense lighting, but why bother. There's nothing wrong with the guitar, you understand. Its simply unexciting. I have two guitars that just don't do it for me, the ES-137 and the Blueshawk. With as many guitars as I've bought and sold over the years, that's not a bad ratio. And, who knows? I haven't sold either one of them, yet - so maybe some day I'll find an amp that raises the bar. I think that's the problem, you know. I've never found an amp that made the sound of these two guitars vibrant and alive. What I get is just plain old good music. But, just for you Svet (and to keep it out of Parabar's hands) I'll dig the Blue ***** out of the closet and play it for at least a week on different amplifiers. Besides, its not a "bad" guitar. I have just always preferred, say by Byrdland, or Riviera, or Tele, or Jr.'s, or...

IMG_0175.jpg

Do you really think this is a better finish? Can't see enough of the wood grain' date=' they just made everything blue, no shading to speak of. This is the best picture of got of it, and I used the green shrub for some contrast. It was the only way I could get any "pop" out of the photo at all. I suppose I could try a solid white, black or tan background with some intense lighting, but why bother. There's nothing [i']wrong[/i] with the guitar, you understand. Its simply unexciting. I have two guitars that just don't do it for me, the ES-137 and the Blueshawk. With as many guitars as I've bought and sold over the years, that's not a bad ratio. And, who knows? I haven't sold either one of them, yet - so maybe some day I'll find an amp that raises the bar. I think that's the problem, you know. I've never found an amp that made the sound of these two guitars vibrant and alive. What I get is just plain old good music. But, just for you Svet (and to keep it out of Parabar's hands) I'll dig the Blue ***** out of the closet and play it for at least a week on different amplifiers. Besides, its not a "bad" guitar. I have just always preferred, say by Byrdland, or Riviera, or Tele, or Jr.'s, or...

IMG_0175.jpg

You could always make a deal with me....say a like new gibson sg classic sg classic and something else......for the blue *****=p~

Hey, KDKowalski! Those "Dots" are both nice looking. The blueburst one you gave away and the tobacco burst one you're getting. The grain on the bluebusrt (that can be seen, as opposed to Gary's ES-137...that's too bad) reminds me of the grain on my NA Sheraton II. It's tight on the lower side of the guitar and then gets wider as it goes towards the top. It seems that you see more of that with maple top guitars as opposed to those with, say, mahogany. The new one you're getting seems to have tighter grains. The color looks nice. Hope it plays as nice as it looks. I once had a red cherry Gibson ES-335 that I had to let go of. Still breaks my heart when I think about it. That's why I eventually got the Sheraton II that I now have. It was the closest thing I could get to replacing my 335 without having to shell out $1,000's for it (I only paid $835.00 for my ES-335, with the case, back in 1989...goes to show how much inflation and a little greed on Gibson's part affects the price of guitars, especially the American made ones). My Sheri was $529.00 when I bought it almost two years ago and now their up to $599.00. Doesn't take long for the prices to rise. We've got to grab the Epiphones before they get out of site, too. I know Epiphones cost less because they're made overseas, but it won't be long due to the demand that the prices will probably get out of reach on them, too.

Enjoy your new "Dot" when you get it. :-({|=

Hi Gary, I am falling in love with my ES 137! I restrung her last night with Blue Steel 10-52's and tightened the truss rod a tad. I've got the action very low and the intonation lined up rather easily. It's nice having the intonation screws facing the rear! I guess mine has a little more burst than yours does as it is very easy to see. It has about the same as my ES335. This guitar is proving to be an extremely versatile little darling as advertised! I am rocking out, playing some heavy blues licks and busting over some jazz runs without any hitch! I may have to raise the action a hair because the pick squeals are a little more difficult to pull off now that I've adjusted the TR. The neck is perfect though according to my straight edge. I really love this guitar right now! I bet the 57's sound nice in her but being that my 335 has em already I may leave this stock for some variation. She's a keeper in my book!

Svet

garyelcrrt Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:12:45 PM

...and Parabar -- shipping it won't work. I just tried to ship a guitar to Wisconsin, and UPS in El Cerrito Plaza told me they don't have a box big enough to ship a guitar. I mention that because I think you're pretty close, aren't you?

Yup ... and I grew up in the East Bay, used to hang out at EC Plaza sometimes as a kid. When shall I drop by to pick up the guitar?O:) (see what a good guy I am? Not only will I unburden you of that wretched 137 --- I'll even save you the hassle and cost of shipping!) O:)/

Archived