Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone seen one of these yet?

Yes, those are wood knobs, and its an inlaid wooden cover over a steel trapeze. The pickguard, hell, this entire guitar -- is in direct response to what I've seen over the years as "things people wanted different on their AF105's", which is all in flamed natural w/matching pg. I don't think anything in its price range is going to be able to compare with it. Last year I traded my AF105F for my set-neck Tele (which I play nearly every day), but I really, really miss the silky smooth finish, light weight and absolutely wooden tone. Ibanez says the entire Artcore series is all about best value for the money, and the AF105 is listed as a Custom Artcore, and this one is numbered in the sequential series Ibanez uses for its very finest efforts. BTW, its almost exactly, point by point, the guitar I personally wrote and requested Ibanez make (one of many, I'm sure, but still...) I just agreed to about $850 in repairs and upgrades to my Eastman, which developed a crack in its top this year. My mind has started to run in "what can I sell to get the money without spending any cash - which is a totally dumb justification since every asset I own is mine anyway. This one begins to bring familiar feelings in various nether regions.

Wow Gary, that is one fantastic looking guitar and when I first read the price that Lerxst quoted I did a double take! That has got to be a misprint. I can't think of another guitar with all those options at 800 dollars more. Gary, tell me more about this set neck tele and please post some pictures too! I am intrigued by both the Ibanez and this Tele!

svet

Ibanez AF125AMB...for a higher octane GAS

OK, don't make me want one. I told my wife I ordered a Shure PG57 mic and her response was "You already have a box full of mics (I do!). What do you need another one for?". Simple, dear, I need to mic my Vox AD50VT because the line out cuts out the power amp section. She wouldn't understand another guitar to go with the 6 that I have already.

:-s

Wow Gary' date=' that is one fantastic looking guitar and when I first read the price that Lerxst quoted I did a double take! That has got to be a misprint. I can't think of another guitar with all those options at 800 dollars more. Gary, tell me more about this set neck tele and please post some pictures too! I am intrigued by both the Ibanez and this Tele!

svet[/quote']

Well, This is the Telecaster in question: set neck, SD '59 neck and SD Pearly Gates at the bridge. Fender only made these for a couple years, I think. Priced in the $6xx new. Standard model discontinued, but they still make a higher grade with like spalted tops. Tulsaslim owns several. Anyway, slimmest fastest most comfortable Fender neck ever, IMHO. And tone for days.

Tele002.jpg

Tele006.jpg

And a shot or three of the used to be mine AF105F --

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

The fit, finish and level of bling on these Ibanez Artcore guitars is amazing, especially at this price! The AF105 comes in 2 versions, single floating pup (AF105F) and twin humbuckers mounted in the top (AF105). The floating pup model comes with both an ABR-1 and a compensated wooden bridges so you can choose your own tone. AF105 sells at $729 new, the new AF125AMB at $849.

BTW, for those who don't know, Ibanez model numbers go like this:

AF = Artcore, single cut away

AS = Artcore, dual cut away (very similar to ES-335)

AM = Artcore dual cut away (different ears but similar to AS models)

70 and 80 series - entry level

100 series - custom level

120 series - what's above custom? Whatever - this is it

I don't know what the distinction of the 5 is on the AF125, but the following letters are finish type...

F = floating pickup

T = tremelo

AMB = amber burst

Anyway, that's my lesson for today...

Hi Gary thanks for the pictures! We sure are fortunate to live in a time that such fine instruments can be had for relatively little cash. Have you seen the Merle Haggard Telecaster? All I can say is wow! Talk about a set neck tele! I sure would love to own one but who wouldn't?

452740.jpg

452741.jpg

452742.jpg

Svet said: Have you seen the Merle Haggard Telecaster?

Yes, and its beautiful. Can't help thinking about the old Pure Prairie League song about changing Merle's flat tire. Anybody out there remember the whole story? My recollection of a lot of the late 60's and early 70's is sketchy and known to have suffered from several types of self-abuse and revisionism.

Svet said: Have you seen the Merle Haggard Telecaster?

Yes' date=' and its beautiful. Can't help thinking about the old Pure Prairie League song about changing Merle's flat tire. Anybody out there remember the whole story? My recollection of a lot of the late 60's and early 70's is sketchy and known to have suffered from several types of self-abuse and revisionism.

[/quote']

I can't help you there Gary; I wasn't even alive yet!

svet

I can't help you there Gary; I wasn't even alive yet!

svet

Hmmm. You need to work on that' date=' Svet! Anyway, song written by Nick Gravenites(?) and originally performed by Jerry Garcia as a response to MH's "Okie from Mukogee" and later performed by Pure Prairie League also (the version I'm familiar with...). These are the lyrics:

[i']I'll Change Your Flat Tire Merle

Lyrics: Nick Gravenites

Music: Nick Gravenites

Played by Jerry Garcia with Nick Gravenites and Pete Sears on 29 Apr 1990. A riposte to Merle Haggard's "Okie From Muskogee". Not checked against a tape yet.

As I drove down old 65

I was cruising down that old grapevine

Well I must have been doing at least about ninety five

Right there on the side of the road all broke down

Well who do you think was a-standing around

But the greatest country singer alive

Chorus

Well I'll change your flat tire, Merle

Don't you get your sweet country picking fingers

All covered with oil

'Cause you're a honky I know, but Merle you got soul

And I'll fix your flat tire Merle

Well I hear you had an adventurous youth

Making love in a telephone booth

And I even hear you did a little stretch in jail

But now you got a big ranch house with a bar

And eight, nine, ten of them fancy cars

And every other week a cheque coming in the mail

[chorus]

Well I heard all them records you did

Making fun of us long-haired kids

And now you know we don't care what you think

'Cause Merle, if you're gonna call the world your home

You know you're gonna have to go out and get stoned

And it's better with a joint than a drink

I think

[chorus]

Recordings

Nick Gravenites recorded this with Big Brother And The Holding Company on "Be A Brother", and it was covered by Pure Prairie League on "Two Lane Highway" as well as on the live album "Live Takin' The Stage"

Futher Information

For more information on recordings see Matt Schofield's Grateful Dead Family Discography[/i]

Above copied from some website --

Awww Jeezis! There you guys go, reigniting my Tele GAS! Just when I was feeling so satisfied with my home-made Tele! #-o

First I see Gary's and I'm thinkin; SLEEK and MEAN.... Very Nice! Then YOU come along, Svet, with that BEEYOOTEEFUL MH Tele! =;

I think you oughta keep your photos to yerself for a while, Svet! [-X

There's a local shop in my town that has one of those Spalted Teles... Surprising too, since they hardly carry anything above "student grade" in that store... It's very tempting..

I'm sorry Lerxst, I just can't seem to hep myself! I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. That MH tele is just phenominal and I am itching to find out a price quote from my local guy. I'm guessing about 3400.

Svet

Archived