Gibson Brands Forums

My "new" Emperor Regent!

Suho

Today I made a bit of a train trip at lunchtime to meet up with the guy who sold me my new Emperor Regent archtop. This is my first full hollow body archtop. He had a Fishman Powerbridge (with PowerChip?) installed on it as well. The trip ended up taking just over 2 hours. Luckily my boss was in meetings all day and didn't really notice! :o

It is a 1998 model. I haven't really had a chance to put it through the works, but from what I have seen and heard so far, I am a very happy man. I will post the pics that the former owner had for now, and will take some more over the next couple of days.

The stock pickup seems to be REALLY low output, but it still has a bit more high end than I can roll off. I think it is strung with roundwounds right now, so maybe some flatwounds will fix that some. Although the Powerbridge is nice, it seems a bit bright for my tastes. I can blend the two pickups. I really need to experiment more with how that works, and look at the Powerchip manual.

By a stroke of luck, my wife was out this evening and I had the car to drive it home, so she hasn't seen it yet. Fortunately, yesterday was her birthday and everything went very nicely. I gave her a present from Tiffany's too. That always wins points. Maybe that is a good name for this guitar? Tiffany. Yeah, I like that!8-[

0102000103120104082008011791202e7d2.jpg

01010801040501030220080117f4a8016e7.jpg

0101000102010104002008011748e1fe226.jpg

01010001021101031120080117c7ff23390.jpg

Hi Suho, nice guitar! The Emperor Regents really are a fantastic value in the jazz box world! I use the same tactic with the Tiffany gifts to my girlfriend! I am stocking up on equipment now so that when I do get married I won't have to worry about the sneaking in and what to buy as hush gifts. LOL, good luck

Svet

Svet said: "I am stocking up on equipment now so that when I do get married I won't have to worry about the sneaking in and what to buy as hush gifts. LOL, good luck"

Bwaah...hah...hah!! Svet, you must be a young feller! Once you're married, all the rules you think you've learned will change --- and you will not be allowed to see the rulebook (which is subject to revision at any time without notification)!

Old married guys (and formerly married guys) --- chime in here to help Svet out!

And Suho, that is a gorgeous Regent --- the acoustic pickup on the bridge is a great idea too!

Svet said: "I am stocking up on equipment now so that when I do get married I won't have to worry about the sneaking in and what to buy as hush gifts. LOL' date=' good luck"

Bwaah...hah...hah!! Svet, you must be a young feller! Once you're married, all the rules you think you've learned will change --- and you will not be allowed to see the rulebook (which is subject to revision at any time without notification)!

Old married guys (and formerly married guys) --- chime in here to help Svet out!

And Suho, that is a gorgeous Regent --- the acoustic pickup on the bridge is a great idea too![/quote']

Hi Parabar, I figure if I already have em she can't get mad at me and I won't have to sneak anything into the house! LOL, I've already told her the guitars stay and my music/home theater stuff stays! I love her and she is very understanding. She's already given me permission to build a theater room in the basment that I can do whatever I want with! :( I'm 32 so I guess that qualifies as young! O:)

Svet

Parabar, some things just gotta be learned the hardway. We remember those carefree days of Svet's. Oh wait, I am only 33! but I have been married almost 10 years. All I can say is that Parabar's words will resound with you for the rest of your married life, and you will laugh at how naive you once were. But until that time, have fun and keep dreaming that you have all the control!:)

Svet, Parabar and Suho are right...

Parabar, some things just gotta be learned the hardway. We remember those carefree days of Svet's. Oh wait, I am only 33! but I have been married almost 10 years. All I can say is that Parabar's words will resound with you for the rest of your married life, and you will laugh at how naive you once were. But until that time, have fun and keep dreaming that you have all the control!

Many women (I won't say all, because I don't want to generalize) will tell you that you can do what you want to do, but when you go ahead and do it it's a whole 'nother story..."You spend to much money on equipment" or "You never spend as much time with me anymore". As the guys said, when you're married all the rules change, afterall they (the women) hold the rule book and like a woman's perogative, it's subject to change at any time they feel. [-X

Obviously, none of you ever listened to the words of Robert Johnson, from (I think) "Me and the Devil"

"...I'm gonna beat my woman, 'til I get satisfied!"

When I was married, and voices got a bit loud I once handed my checkbook to the wife and told her one of us needed a vacation from the other. When she didn't go immediately, I took back the checkbook and walked out the door. There is no reason to suffer that type of crap -- unless you are a masochist, in which case I can give you phone numbers for 2 or 3 more who are looking for someone to abuse. I wonder if you could sue for divorce and request half of her half of your for as punitive damages for the mental anguish she put you through. Even more importantly, I wonder if you could win...

=; Someone on MySpace sent me this lil' ditty and I thought it apprepeau . . .

Date: Jan 28, 2008 2:56 PM

Subject: Man rules (or Man Laws part 2)

Body: We always hear "The Rules" From the female side.

Now here are the rules from the male side.

These are our rules!

Please note.. these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Men ARE not mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat.

You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down.

We need it up, you need it down.

You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday sports. It's like the full moon

or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport.

And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want.

Let us be clear on this one:

Subtle hints do not work!

Strong hints do not work!

Obvious hints do not work!

Just say it!

1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only If you want help solving it. That's what we do.

Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument.

In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria's Secret girls, don't expect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, you probably are.

Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant the other one

1. You can either ask us to do something

Or tell us how you want it done.

Not both.

If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did NOT need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings.

Peach, for example, is a fruit not a color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, it will be scratched.

We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," we will act like nothing is wrong.

We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle to take it any further.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear Is fine...Really.

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as baseball, the shotgun formation, or golf.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round IS a shape dammit!

1. Thank you for reading this.

Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight; but did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping.

Best of luck with the new guitar btw! She's a beaut fursur - Steve

[-X

Hahaha, I couldn't stop laughing L4Sleeko! The funny thing is I have seen that before, but I forgot about most of them. They seem so much more true the more time passes. I mean, really true. Never married folks might laugh at some, but once you live them, they are funny because they are painful truths. Thanks for the laugh.

Garyelcrrt, well, I agree, perhaps I am a bit of a masochist, because I keep coming back for more. Ultimately, I am not looking to be single again, though. I am not sure when I gave her my balls, but I sure hope she didn't lose them... I might want them back someday.=D>

That purse is great. She would kill me, but it might almost be worth it.

Try it like this, Suho -- get the purse. Tell her it is your personal guitar fund, that only money that isn't needed for some other purpose can go into the purse, and you BOTH have to agree the money isnt needed before it goes in the purse, and that you will not spend any other money on guitars and gear without HER specific and ungrudging approval. But, once money goes in the purse, it is dead to her. Only you can take it out; and only you can decide how, when or where it is spent - and if it should happen to bring home an occasional new guitar or other piece of gear, so what? she's already agreed IN ADVANCE when the money was put into the purse. How's that? perfectly fair and absolutely guaranteed to get your head bashed, isn't it? Hahahahaha. Ooops, if you like it, why more power to you.

I still didn't get the better pics yet, but I was running over it again last night unplugged.

I was pretty amazed at how clear and loud the natural harmonics could sound. I want to say that unplugged, it is probably louder or as loud as any Dreadnoughts I have played, but the thing really vibrated! It is louder, but at the same time, you have to finger it very clearly or else it is too easy to get a muted sound.

My only sonic concern is that the amplified sound is too bright and harsh. I will have to play around with my amp's settlings more this weekend. Has anyone replaced the floating mini-humbucker (it screws into the neck) with anything else? How did it sound? I am looking for a more easily obtainable smooth but mellowish sound with good bass and a nice 'cut'. Actually, because of the piezo system, getting the cut is not such a problem. I just can't round out the stock M-HB.:-k

Archived