Gibson Brands Forums

Learning how to play/maintain a guitar?

bluefoxicy

I've been pretty much feeling around my guitar to customize and tweak it. I haven't touched the truss (I think it's actually fine out of the box... even after a string change?), but I've raised the action and adjusted the intonation. I've changed the pickups, disassembled and reversed the bridge (saddles have wider gaps in them for the wrapped strings, wow), had new tuning machines installed (sorry not drilling, I'll pay the $45), waxed it and kept it clean. Mostly this came from asking around, feeling around, and glancing at the manual or Internet.

As for learning to play, I started trying to play lead from tabs, then moved to picking up basic theory and chords off the Wikibook for guitar (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar). Now I've a handful of Troy Stetina books coming (http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Guitar/lm/RPBQPJTPJV9HC/ but I should have just ordered the mega pack off http://www.stetina.com/special.html for a discount!), plus some stuff from RazorFret.

I'm considering finishing out the Stetina series over time, and grabbing some stuff from HowAudio on maintaining a guitar (http://howaudio.com/html/Video.aspx?mtid=GSM particularly... wtf? They have a whole 90 minute video on making a new guitar look old and beat up o_O). Any thoughts on how good this stuff is, or what else I might need particularly to learn to maintain the guitar? I'm doing fine so far but some real basic theory could go a long way....

You are on the right track. Just make sure you don't get into a rut. Try new and difficult things and don't fall back on the same old stuff you have mastered. If I could give you one tip for Rock and Lead playing is to learn the Blues rock scale,the minor pentatonic in the full Diagonal form. The full diagonal form is the one that most blues and rock guitarist use in their solos.

They simply add lib on this scale and move it up and down the neck. Being self taught myself, I dragged along until I learned this scale.

I think the most important thing you can do is play with other people. Regardless of if they play a guitar. Bass players, drummers, even pianists can improve your playing and your ear. Also, your timing will begin to improve.

I took lessons for the first year or two of my playing, and it greatly helped build the foundation.

Doth

I ' date=' unfortunately, don't have the discipline to sit and practice on my own each day which has really hindered my progress as a player.[/quote']

Find some theory to read up on, look at techniques and practice exercises for just a little while. Then find a song that applies those, and try to practice the sections that are "Hard" because you can't do those specific techniques yet.

I'll say that some good theory and brute-force practice really will help you, but so does practical application. That's not guitars, that's general life advice. People hand me stuff that's like "Here's how you break into a Web site with these flaws" and I'm like "ok, I get the idea" "Can you do it?" "Uh no?" and then I set up a Web server and database in a VMware team; install some old version of MediaWiki and phpBB; and utterly destroy it, but only AFTER figuring out where all my weaknesses in understanding work.

Basically, the process of learning-by-rote gives you a toolbox. This is a hammer, this is a screwdriver; but it's deeper than that, where do you put screws? Sure you can figure it out, but you'll build something much more solid if someone teaches you how to build a house. Still, once you know that, you need to build some small structures (sheds?) to really get a hand on basic construction.

So in summary, if all you ever do is theory, you can fumble through anything; if all you ever do is go straight into it and imitate what you see (i.e. play songs), you can fumble through anything. If you look into some theory, get bored, go do some stuff, go back for more theory, get bored again, go do some other stuff, etc, then you're actively applying the theory and going through a full, efficient learning process.

... my original question WAS about what's good theory material for guitar maintenance/setup/etc but :)

Hi bluefoxicy, I am finding this very, very helpful and easy to follow. It costs me $10 (Australian) per month for 10 months. You get a heap of downloads at first, then 3 "lessons" every week. These are downloaded as flv files - I use a file converter to convert them to DVD format, then use Nero to burn them onto a DVD disc, ready to play on my DVD at my own pace.

The guys name is John Stockwell, and it is an easy, no BS approach. The URL is

www.australianguitarlessons.com/massivefreegift.htm

Hope this is of some help to you, it sure helps me. Good luck and whatever you do, keep at it.

Hi bluefoxicy' date=' I am finding this very, very helpful and easy to follow. It costs me $10 (Australian) per month for 10 months. You get a heap of downloads at first, then 3 "lessons" every week. These are downloaded as flv files - I use a file converter to convert them to DVD format, then use Nero to burn them onto a DVD disc, ready to play on my DVD at my own pace.

The guys name is John Stockwell, and it is an easy, no BS approach. The URL is

www.australianguitarlessons.com/massivefreegift.htm

Hope this is of some help to you, it sure helps me. Good luck and whatever you do, keep at it.[/quote']

Scan the websites, youtube, and learn scales. Once you learn scales and begin to understand the concept of lead riffs, you are on your way. Download TABs of your favorite songs and learn to read and play them. Major and minor pentatonic and Mixolydian scales are your friend. Find some backing tracks and play with your friends. Build speed by playing scales and exercises and Play, Play, Play.

Regarding maintenance, setup, customizing and tweaking type tasks, The Guitar Player Repair Guide - 3rd Edtion by Dan Erlewine is a relatively comprehensive reference. The title doesn't do it justice either as there is a lot of non-repair information included. It does have the material marked by depth of task so one isn't as likely to get in over their head. I give it high marks on including the theory (i.e. what one is really trying to accomplish) behind the maintenance, setup and repairs also. You can collect the same info from multiple sources but this is a nice "one stop shopping" approach if that's what one is looking for.

Archived