Gibson Brands Forums

The NEW Epiphone Ultra-II

Epi1

Greetings Epiphone Friends,

On February 1st (this Friday) Epiphone will formally announce our new Les Paul Ultra-II model. This new model will be featured on our www.epiphone.com home page for the month of February.

As members of the Epiphone Forum, we want to give you an advance preview of the Ultra-II before we post it on our website. For this, we have created an Ultra-II “micro-site” where you can experience the Ultra-II through a comprehensive Flash with video presentation.

The Ultra-II micro-site is located here: www.epiphone.com/ultraII

We hope you enjoy the presentation and that ultimately, you come away as excited as we are about this new, innovative Epiphone guitar.

The Ultra-II is available now. Please contact your authorized Epiphone retailer for details.

As always… thank you for your continued support!

Jim “Epi” Rosenberg

President - Epiphone

Performance is our Passion

PS: Visit Epiphone.com during the month of February and enter to WIN an Epiphone Ultra-II. Good luck!

Wow that's pretty cool.Liked the video demonsratation.This thing has some really neat sounds!!

Wonder if there's any chance of them releasing that nanomag system separatley,would love one on my 6lb G-400,it already has great tone unplugged.

It's so great to see Epiphone coming into the future strong. I see many great things to come for Epiphone. In the past 10-15 years they may have had gained a rep for putting out real "cheapies" and I am sure they will still offer that to the young beginner market.

But aside from those entry level models (which by the way can still be modded with a little TLC and turn out to be nice and very playable guitars ex: LP and SG juniors) it's really great to see Epi heading in a direction where the tradition of its historic and great name can be backed up by a really great product.

IMHO standard non-elitist Epiphone's can stand proud and rock out with the best of em!

Cheers to that Epi! [-X Bring it on!!!

Wow - that's a pretty sweet looking LP! Almost looks like carved BFG-like top with a really nice lacquer finish on it.

So what is this nanomag pickup? And how would you switch to it - the switch looks like the conventional 3-way.

Interesting that there's two separate jacks... I guess one jack is Nanomag only, so that probably explains why there's no need for separate switch??

539270.jpg

Nice to see Epiphone innovating! Rock on!

Just checked out the video.... that thing sounds amazing! Provides for some nice additional nuances in sound... and the dual output is interesting.... Since you can use them at the same time (cool to think you can send to two different amps...)

cheers

ah....I've had my Ultra for about a year, and now I want an Ultra II. Took me months to find an Ultra in stock anywhere in Australia, I'm not holding my breath about them getting the Ultra II's in quickly.

The tones on it sound amazing from the video, and much as I'm really pleased with my Ultra, it would be great if I could retrofit a Nanomag pickup to it.

I'll just have to wait and see if the Australian distributors add it to their list...they're extraordinarily slow about this stuff though.

So what is this nanomag pickup? And how would you switch to it - the switch looks like the conventional 3-way.

I just read a review of the Ultra II earlier today... I think it said what used to be one of the tone pots is now a volume pot for the Nanomag.... The Nano is always 'on', which doesn't seem like a good idea for battery life..

It looked like the Nanomag had SHADOW written on it, so maybe they will sell it as a stand alone at some point... unless it was developed and licensed only for Epi. Then, good luck.

I love the fact that it isnt the standard Piezo pup, and that it is positioned right there (which they accurately refer to as the sweet spot) at the bottom of the neck. That is where the best sound is. =D>

Excellent! Thanks! Now if you could just bring back the P-90 Double cut LP! =D>

Robert

Amen to that :^o

You have to admire Gibson [and other folks] for thrusting forward with great new technology in the face of an existing customer base who are 50% luddites... and would, given half a chance, quite happily burn down the microchip factory !

Now where are my matches ! ;^)

Meeeee want .

Actually I think I will get one ,seems irrisistable somehow.I wanted an Ultra before but sailed out of the shop with a Dot SE which is great .Always said I would never buy a black guitar again but darn it ,it looks too good ,looks like the Strat is gonna have to go which is no great loss as I never play it lately .I do have a Tele to cover those Fender moments .

thanks Jim

Meeeee want .

Actually I think I will get one ' date='seems irrisistable somehow.I wanted an Ultra before but sailed out of the shop with a Dot SE which is great .Always said I would never buy a black guitar again but darn it ,it looks too good ,looks like the Strat is gonna have to go which is no great loss as I never play it lately .I do have a Tele to cover those Fender moments .

thanks Jim [/quote']

The gallery shows a faded cherry version, too.

This axe is interesting. Depending on the street price, it might be worth a look. By the time I got through changing pups and hardware on my LP custom plus, I had over $900 in it. It would be nice to have pups that are equal to '57 classics right off the shelf. Anyone know if these Alnico Classics are the same as the ones that come on standards and customs or are they a step up? The ones that came on my custom didn't have the sensitivity that the SD Pearly Gates gave me. The harmonics I heard in the video were impressive.

Meeeee want .

Actually I think I will get one ' date='seems irrisistable somehow.I wanted an Ultra before but sailed out of the shop with a Dot SE which is great .Always said I would never buy a black guitar again but darn it ,it looks too good ,looks like the Strat is gonna have to go which is no great loss as I never play it lately .I do have a Tele to cover those Fender moments .

thanks Jim [/quote']

Lol i know what u mean, I think i'm gonna order one in the next few days......it looks so awesome. I had to sell one of my jacksons (but i didnt like it anyway) to get the money, but i think it'll be worth it.

Here is the website for Shadow pickups. Looks like they'll be making the Nanomag available soon (after the Frankfurt show?...doesn't seem to say when that is).

The routing that would be required for installing one of those seems pretty precise...and expensive. Added with the cost of the pickup itself, which I would expect to be in the $100-150 range, we might be better off getting the Ultra II then looking into aftermarket upgrading.

I think it's odd though, that Epiphone hasn't been advertising this as a Shadow product, and Shadow's website doesn't make any mention of the Ultra II yet...don't companies usually pat each other on the back when deals like this are made?

I'm kind of intrigued by the Ultra II... Wouldn't say GASsing for it yet.. But my interest is piqued.. Street price is $700 US... I'll probably wait until they start popping up on the used market..

Is it my imagination' date=' or did it look kinda small in that video?

[/quote']

Coulda just been a big guy playing it, mine looks tiny with me playing it.

The Ultra-II is available now. Please contact your authorized Epiphone retailer for details.

As always… thank you for your continued support!

I just ordered a black one, it better be good. And stop making nice guitars, I can't afford any more!!!

Look for pictures next week, and a review. Of course, if I had more money, I'd be happy, and if I were happy, I'd be more inclined to write a happy review, wink wink, nod nod. A new guitar would be nice, an old one would be nice too!!! Like a mid-sixties Crestwood Custom in white.

But seriously, I really could use the money. Only kiddin'!!! Thanks for the fine guitars, I have tried many solid body acoustics, haven't found the right one yet, I have a feeling this might be the one. I always wanted an Ultra, but couldn't justify another double humbucker style solid/chambered body guitar. The addition of the Nano is just what the doctor ordered.

Archived