Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for Les Paul-100?

leps

Hello guys! I wanted to put new pickups onto my les paul. And I am a super newb at this guitar scene. But I wanna know which pickups would suit me and my guitar best. I wanted to mess with the gfs pickups because I heard they were great pickups and they are much more cheaper than seymour duncans or gibsons. Well I wanted to know which pickups would suit me the best. The music i play is somewhere in the alternative section. I love the strokes and I want tone somewhat to Nick Valensi's tone. I'm sorry if you guys don't really know the guy but his pickups are Gibson P-94s in a Epiphone Riviera. I just wanted to know which pickups to buy to have somewhat close tone to the P-94s. Or other suggestions would be great. Thanks a lot!

First thing to understand is that your LP100 CANNOT sound like a Riviera, no matter what you do to it. Solid body does not resonate like a semi-hollow. Next, the Seymour Duncan Phatcats are a P-94 type pickup and very nice. If you choose GFS, go straight to the Mean 90. Those will get you closest to the sound you seek. As an alternative, Epi has moved the Nick Valensi from Elitist to regular production, and cost about $700, as opposed to $1300 for the Elitist, which is still available in VS. Please note that, even at GFS prices, you will be 10% closer to the Nick Valensi if you save up and buy what you want instead of trying to make do with something designed for a very different sound. Don't get me wrong, I love modifying guitars. And I'm very sure that the LP100 will sound very good with Mean 90's. You will probably like it a lot, but it won't be what you say you want.

Archived